Has anybody here ever had hypnotherapy?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2008, 3:56 am

Just a curious question, figured id ask since i've never seen it posted (but probably has). If yeah, has it helped you in any way to control your stims, social stupidity :P, etc etc

ed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 7:51 am

My shrink wasn't able to hypnotize me :D

Barce
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Nov 2008, 8:21 am

prillix wrote:
If yeah, has it helped you in any way to control your stims, social stupidity :P, etc etc

I think i went once a week for 4-8 weeks. At the time i thought my issue was only social phobia. He technically didn't seem to understand me either. He just thought i seemed to tense and analytical. Lol he reckoned i was a definite analysis paralysis case. He could never really hypnotise me and he KNEW that, so he'd use my over thinking as an excuse that i couldn't relax and help him hypnotise me. All he could do was put me in a relaxed state, but not hypnotised. I personally wouldn't go back. Unless you know of a hypnotherapist who is familiar with Aspergers and has treated it, i would check them out maybe. The problem is though . . . . What part of being Aspie would you want to erase? Because the stims and social stupidity also come with the good. The social stupidity is just how you choose to negatively view peoples reaction to your individuality, screw them . . . . The stimming maybe is something worth while to see a hypnotherapist for though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 11:07 am

prillix wrote:
Has anybody here ever had hypnotherapy?

I'm immune to hypnosis. I found out while in the military.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2008, 12:25 pm

Never, though I think it would be interesting if I tried.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

29 Nov 2008, 12:26 pm

ive never been hypnotized. i'd be scared to do it but i want to try it someday

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 1:18 pm

A lot of people who claim to be immune to hypnosis don't really understand what it is, which is to say it isn't really anything. There's no known psychological state associated with hypnosis. It's just a matter of listening intently and following instructions, which generally involves relaxing. At most it's an excuse to say and do things you normally wouldn't, and at the least it's just play acting.

Though some people are definitely less suggestible and less likely to respond to the illusion.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 2:28 pm

I went to a hypotherapist when I was sixteen for anxiety. For me, all it produced was a ridiculous amount of money being wasted by my parents. Like meditation (similar concept), I'm not able to relax enough for anything to come from it. Not to mention trying to relax on que is much more difficult than winding-down naturally on your own accord.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 2:32 pm

ed wrote:
My shrink wasn't able to hypnotize me :D

me too :idea:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 2:44 pm

prillix wrote:
Just a curious question, figured id ask since i've never seen it posted (but probably has). If yeah, has it helped you in any way to control your stims, social stupidity :P, etc etc

I went to a hypnotherapist for my night terrors, all I learned was a way to relax, I am also totally immune
to hypnosis.I think the therapy works fine with some people, but my mind never was suggestible.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 7:39 pm

I did some hynotherapy, but it didn't make a dent in the fact that my mind kept on churning no matter how many times I thought pleasant thoughts while pressing on a particular acupressure point (yes, that's what the hypnotherapy consisted of). The only thing that's worked for me is anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication. It doesn't reduce any of the AS symptoms, but it gives me enough detachment to be able to work with them.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 8:42 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
I did some hynotherapy, but it didn't make a dent in the fact that my mind kept on churning no matter how many times I thought pleasant thoughts while pressing on a particular acupressure point (yes, that's what the hypnotherapy consisted of).

Was the acupressure supposed to work of its own accord, or was the act of pressing it supposed to create an anchor there? Touching or rubbing a location on the body (but not just particular points) to anchor an emotional state or thought to that location is an NLP technique, which would seem to fit well with the hypnosis. Unfortunately, NLP and acupressure are both complete hoodoo.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2008, 9:36 pm

WurdBendur wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
I did some hynotherapy, but it didn't make a dent in the fact that my mind kept on churning no matter how many times I thought pleasant thoughts while pressing on a particular acupressure point (yes, that's what the hypnotherapy consisted of).

Was the acupressure supposed to work of its own accord, or was the act of pressing it supposed to create an anchor there? Touching or rubbing a location on the body (but not just particular points) to anchor an emotional state or thought to that location is an NLP technique, which would seem to fit well with the hypnosis. Unfortunately, NLP and acupressure are both complete hoodoo.

It was supposed to create an anchor. Didn't work, at least for me. I've heard of others, particularly NT athletes, having good results with it, though.

As for acupressure...In my experience, it ain't hoodoo at all. When I was in about my 16th hour of intense labor trying to give birth to my daughter (I finally succeeded, by the way...), my Chinese midwife pressed an acupressure point on my leg and the pain went away. Trust me, no amount of belief or suggestion or placebo effect can possibly overcome the pain of childbirth.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:45 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
It was supposed to create an anchor. Didn't work, at least for me. I've heard of others, particularly NT athletes, having good results with it, though.

As for acupressure...In my experience, it ain't hoodoo at all. When I was in about my 16th hour of intense labor trying to give birth to my daughter (I finally succeeded, by the way...), my Chinese midwife pressed an acupressure point on my leg and the pain went away. Trust me, no amount of belief or suggestion or placebo effect can possibly overcome the pain of childbirth.

All the studies suggest that acupuncture and acupressure have exactly the same effects as telling someone you're going to perform them and then faking it. They went as far as using fake needles that retract instead of puncturing, and for acupressure they pushed the wrong points, all with identical effects. Granted, I'm not aware of any study on either done during labor.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 7:29 pm

Have to agree w/WB.

My info on it is that it is socially constructed. That is to say that the results of the thing are well-known and expected. The test for it is to attempt to hypnotise a person from a culture/location that has never heard of or seen hypnotism in any form. The attempt fails completely because the subject is clueless as to how to perform "appropriately."

"Good" stage hypnotists apparently have the knack/ability to quickly discern which persons will cooperate with them onstage and not spoil the show. If there is a talent there, that is it.

Not at all surprising that aspies won't cooperate with such stuff, making it "impossible" to be "hypnotised."

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 9:08 pm

saw a stage hypnotists once...he started the routine, and I started to go under. Only thing that saved me was the guy next to me, saying in an evil voice "Look, he's going under" that snapped me out of it. Rampant paranoia saves the day...;)