Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:18 pm

I have serious indications that my passwords may have recently been detected, now I obviously changed them but it did stir up my concerns regarding email security a bit. I realised that it may just not be a good idea at all to use my regular email accounts for personal mails to my bank, doctor etc while just giving this email address to random friends as well.

Now I decided to reorganise my email traffic a bit and create two new accounts, one for email traffic that is quite personal and one where I would send copies of my own writings to (a sort of archiving tool where I can send copies of my own most important writings and documents to).
Needless to say I want to be both to be secure mailboxes with especially password encryption so that I can log in without the passwords being seeable.

From my research (correct me if I am wrong) I am best to opt for any mail provider that has HTTPS or SSL for these secure accounts that I need.

Can anyone advise which reliable mail provider (= likely to stay around for a really long time, rarely or never loses any mail traffic, etc - as I don't need to often control the archiving account I prefer a provider as well where accounts don't expire after for example 60 days without signing in...) is most advisable? Of course free would be great, however I would be prepared to pay as long as we are not talking high sums.

I have been using Safe Mail myself for a while with great satisfaction, I love it that they have no password storing option, no cookies and encrypted login. However, their prices are quite high for a storage space that is not very high, so I would say upgrading my free account would not be the most practical as I would really want more storage than their paid plan offers if I decide to pay.

Lavabit is very good in password security apparently?

I also was told Gmail uses HTTPS and would thus be quite secure, although when logging in the confusing thing is that the signin screen indeed has a https:// address while after having signed in the URL changes to http://

Any suggestions?

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 1:52 pm

My AOL account has been working great for me. I've found GMail to be a spam magnet, but I keep that account anyways for when I need to hand out an e-mail address that I don't care about as much.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 2:58 pm

Quote:
My AOL account
AOL has never been considered outstanding for privacy.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:37 pm

Yahoo Mail is very good.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:20 pm

If there is anything I learned in my graduate network security class, it's that NO email is secure unless you're on a closed company intranet.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 7:15 pm

Orwell wrote:
My AOL account has been working great for me. I've found GMail to be a spam magnet, but I keep that account anyways for when I need to hand out an e-mail address that I don't care about as much.

Gmail is pretty much the only one I use regularly. I do get a little spam, though no more than I normally would with any other provider (less even), and most of the spam I do get is filtered quite effectively...

Though, as Kirska said, the only definitive security is total isolation...

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 2:06 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Yahoo Mail is very good.

while I like the interface a lot, I dont know if it is good Security wise. Does Yahoo use cookies? Do they use any encryption for the password such as SSL or HTTPS?

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

V001
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

Yahoo has secure login does use cookies but not full time ssl. Gmail has secure login and can be made to use ssl fulltime. Go into the gmail account settings and turn ssl on all the time setting. Most bank web sites have a secure message inbox/outbox part were you can send them messages. Important check your account messages can be send in the clear it does have your name but not full account info. Do anti-vrus and malware checks could be a key logger or even as low tech as someone looking at you logging in.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

I think Fastmail offers connections over https. They are at http://www.fastmail.us. They also offer encrypted connections to a mail client if that is what you are looking for.

Another is neomailbox.nl. They are targeted at the privacy oriented mail user. They offer encrypted connections as well.

Good luck.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"