Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 10:57 am

CTV.CA

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Unique brain wave patterns, spotted for the first time in autistic children, may help explain why they have so much trouble communicating.

Using an imaging helmet that resembles a big salon hair dryer, researchers discovered what they believe are "signatures of autism" that show a delay in processing individual sounds.

That delay is only a fraction of a second, but when it's for every sound, the lag time can cascade into a major obstacle in speaking and understanding people, the researchers said.

Imagine if it took a tiny bit longer than normal to understand each syllable. By the end of a whole sentence, you'd be pretty confused.

The study authors believe that's what happens with autistic children, based on the brain wave patterns detected in school-age children in their study.

The preliminary results need to be confirmed in younger children, but the researchers hope this technique could be used to help diagnose autism in children as young as age 1. That's at least a year earlier than usual, and it could mean behavior treatment much sooner.

Andrew Papanicolaou, director of the clinical neurosciences center at University of Texas's Houston campus, said the study makes a major contribution to autism research.

"It gives us a window through which we get a picture of some of the neurological conditions responsible for the peculiar behaviours in autism," said Papanicolaou, who was not involved in the research.

Dr. James McPartland, a Yale University autism researcher who also wasn't involved in the study, called the results "preliminary, with promise." Whether the patterns found in the study exist in all autistic children is uncertain, but they're worthy of more study, he said.

Study results were prepared for release Monday at the Radiological Society of North America meeting in Chicago.

Finding biomarkers - like the brain waves - that could enable earlier diagnosis and treatment is the "holy grail" for autism scientists, McPartland said. Now, doctors typically diagnose autism through parents' reports and by observing behaviours that often don't emerge until at least age 2, he said.

The brain wave study used noninvasive technology called magnetoencephalography, MEG for short. It measures magnetic fields generated by electrical currents in brain nerve cells, and records brain activity in real time.

Researchers at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia had 64 autistic children ages 6 to 15 listen through headphones to a series of rapid beeps while under the helmet-like device, which recorded the brain's response to the sounds. Those brain waves, shown as highlighted areas on an imaging screen, were compared with responses in a group of non-autistic children.

In autistic children, response to each sound was delayed by one-fiftieth of a second.

"We tend to speak at four syllables per second," said Timothy Roberts, the study's lead author and the hospital's vice chairman of research. If an autistic brain "is slow in processing a change in a syllable ... it could easily get to the point of being overloaded."

Experts say one in 150 U.S. children have autism, a disorder involving poor verbal communication, repetitive behaviours such as head-banging, and avoidance of physical or eye contact.

There is no cure but behaviour treatment and sometimes medication can lessen symptoms.

Among those in the study was Parker Leiby, a nine-year-old Mount Laurel, N.J., boy with mild autism and sometimes hard-to-understand speech. He said he felt like an astronaut wearing that big helmet, and called the whole experience "cool."

Parker was diagnosed at age 2. Since then he's had extensive treatment including speech therapy. He's in a regular third-grade class, loves cross-country running and hopes to become an engineer.

Before participating in the study last year, "we didn't have an answer" about his language difficulties, said Parker's mother, Kim. "It helped shed a lot of light."

Roberts, the study author, said the findings fit with a leading theory that suggests autism is "a disorder of connectivity in the brain."

MEG technology also has been used to map brain tumours and to evaluate epilepsy. McPartland said a few previous studies have used MEG and related technology to study other aspects of autism, but with inconsistent results.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2008, 11:12 am

" .... a disorder of connectivity in the brain .... "

Hey I could have told them that! :lol:

Chibi_Neko, thank you for posting this article; it is very interesting.

The more concrete evidence they get like this that it is indeed neurological, the better treatments and opportunities to forge those neuro connections there will be for all of us.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2008, 11:14 am

It makes sense to me. There have been uncounted times where I had to mentally "replay" a comment to understand it. Like it took too long to process.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 5:41 pm

So often I've suspected that the root of AS is a delay problem, and now here's a study showing a delay in the brain's processing in autism. I think they may be onto something.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

Don't get to carried away with all of this as it's kind of old news that's being rehashed. Researchers for decades have long suspected that many autistic traits could be attributed to 'timing' in the way the brain processes information. Many of these 'studies' are rehashes of old trials but a way to get fresh cash into the coffers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:31 am

garyww wrote:
Don't get to carried away with all of this as it's kind of old news that's being rehashed. Researchers for decades have long suspected that many autistic traits could be attributed to 'timing' in the way the brain processes information. Many of these 'studies' are rehashes of old trials but a way to get fresh cash into the coffers.

Still looks encouraging to me - when I arrived at the hypothesis that AS is down to a time delay, I didn't know anybody else had had the same idea. I take your point that researdh isn't always just a genuine attempt to arrive at the truth, but a study suggesting that it wasn't a time delay would presumably attract just as much funding as one that suggested it was.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 3:42 am

Well, I know that I take longer than normal to process what people say to me. And it takes me a while to figure out how to translate my thoughts into sounds... so it fits for me, even if it doesn't fit for everyone.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:10 am

I process information very quickly and prefer listening to fast paced speech. My trouble lies in the time it takes to produce an adequate outward response. My inward response is quicker and more developed.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:51 am

animal wrote:
Well, I know that I take longer than normal to process what people say to me. And it takes me a while to figure out how to translate my thoughts into sounds... so it fits for me, even if it doesn't fit for everyone.

Yeah, that fits for me too.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:42 am

animal wrote:

This certainly fits for me. It's like the whole "turn thought into words" process gets out of kilter. I often speak in bursts (especially when in any way excited or worked up), instead of: "da de da de da de da de da" it'll end up as "dadedade da de dadedadedade" and so on, with lots of the words all run together. Like the translation gets done a small portion at a time, which is then delivered very rapidly, then a pause while the next bit is being "done", then that gets done very rapidly... is that familiar?

I'm not really sure about the reverse process with listening to other people. It's harder to analyse what's going on because there is less information to work with, but I think it's much the same: listen to a bit, decipher, listen to the next bit, decipher, wait, oops missed something there...

The year is still young.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:50 am

Some points to remember--

Finding a significant difference is not the same as finding a diagnostic test

Auditory processing isn't all there is to autism

The article says "1 in 150 have autism" and then describe autism as involving "poor verbal communication"; however, the 1 in 150 figure includes the large group of Asperger's, who by definition have normal verbal communication and bad NON-verbal communication.

It seems like the writer has the idea that autism is nothing but Kanner's and always involves a speech delay--a really amateurish mistake, which doesn't make his reliability as a reporter all that encouraging.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 9:23 am

I always end up wanting to grab the next dozen people I see and ask "so how do you" think?" after reading these threads.

The year is still young.