why is it that guys r more likely 2 have a bigger AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jus4u76
Raven
Raven

01 Dec 2008, 8:17 pm

is this even actually true?

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:22 pm

I've always thought girls had bigger ASSes. :lol:

Oh wait, you said AS. I don't know what you mean, except to say that Asperger's occurs more frequently in males than in females. The information is at your fingertips. Google is your friend. ;) Seriously, Google can lead you to more AS information than you could ever possibly consume (though I'm working on it!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:26 pm

It may also me that AS occurs equally in men and women, but that women do not present AS as severely as men. It's well known that women's brains are 'wired' for greater sociability to begin with, so that when a woman has AS, she may seem to be only quieter and more focussed than an NT woman.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 10:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
It may also me that AS occurs equally in men and women, but that women do not present AS as severely as men. It's well known that women's brains are 'wired' for greater sociability to begin with, so that when a woman has AS, she may seem to be only quieter and more focussed than an NT woman.

This is the theory I've read most regarding the ratio of females to males with AS.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 10:37 pm

not bigger....better...;)

I think the science of determining facts about AS is still in it's infancy. The ratio may change, or it may be like prostate cancer or uterine cancer; genetically biased by gender.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2008, 10:39 pm

Men do not have "worse" AS; it just manifests somewhat differently in men and women because of biology, social expectations, etc. The same basic impairments are there. They're just as interesting and just as disabling in men and women.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
I've always thought girls had bigger ASSes. :lol:

Oh wait, you said AS.
You're 28? Really? LOL!
It is true that rates diagnosis don't directly relate to frequency of the condition. Also, females are more nurturing by nature while males prey on the weak (like socially) so male aspies stand out and struggle more, which leads to diagnosis.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 6:02 am

Ever seen the channel 4 documentary 'make me normal'? You can watch it online- the girls on that video have just as bad as/asds compared to the boys. I don't believe that as is more predominant in males than in females. I believe that females have, for reasons stated in other posts that there is no point repeating, been less likely to be recognised or have been more likely to have been misdiagnosed.

EDIT: I just looked at my age- I can't believe I freakin forgot that I was 19- bleadin' stress and anxiety is causing me to forget all sorts lately. xP I best go back to my own place incase my post gets nicked...

But yeah, and er, you can see said documentary on veoh and daily motion. 0_0

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 9:02 am

It is socially allowable for a woman to be taken care of by relatives. A woman staying at home 'til age 25, and marrying thereafter, may never live on her own, truly, at all. Women are not as expected to get jobs or go to college.

For a man, it is considered quite unusual and unacceptable for him to remain unemployed and living with family.

Women can get away with doing less than men, even though they are capable of just as much, because society allows it.

Women can also get away with being shy, awkward, and socially clumsy more easily than men can. It is OK, culturally, for a woman to be introverted. It is also more acceptable for her not to date very much, while for a man it is culturally expected that he WILL have a date, and lose his virginity at least by the mid-teens. If a woman is shy and unassuming, people will think she is feminine. If a man is shy and unassuming, people will think he is a wimp.

Double standards do not help male autistics any. And they keep female autistics from getting a diagnosis.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

PRSobsessed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Dec 2008, 9:17 am

It has become clear since identifying AS in me that my sister and both of my daughters have it as well. Their presentations are less severe (not that mine is particularly severe). They may not be diagnosable depending on who's making the call, but they are all somewhere on "the spectrum." We all present with the passive AS phenotype, have language processing issues, and are gifted. I was identified young, none of them were. They all fit in socially better than I.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 10:28 am

Bigger? What...? That comparative doesn't make sense to me. Please clarify what you mean by "bigger."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:14 am

Why is it that NT girls more likely to have a bigger Valley Girl syndrome?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:48 am

I'm betting that there's also something physical, rather than it being just psychological/sociological. Rett's comes to mind, as does the extremely large ratios of males to females with Asperger's (when they should be closer to the figures of Autistic Disorder if they truly are the same disorder and of a similar severity between genders. Difficulties still show up, even if society is more accommodating for females), and also why females with Autistic Disorder are more likely to have profound mental retardation compared to males.

There could be something hidden away in the extra X chromosome females have, or that it affects something, it's just not known yet (testing for Rett's is a recent ability, for example).

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 11:55 am

Boys and girls can have AS just the same, no gender can make it worse. They say it's more common in boys but that may not be true.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

What does "a bigger AS" mean?

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:00 pm

The ratio of guys to girls with AS is 4 to 1. It is more common in boys. But many girls don´t even get diagnosed so there is the an underdiagnose problem in girls.