Thoughts on a Canadian Coalition Government crisis

Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

How functional are coalition governments?
Yes (explain) 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
No (explain) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I do not know (reason) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Who cares? (explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 10:51 pm

Three Wiseguys topic

Will Michalle Jean dissolve the current Parliament and the Harper Government and grant the coalition to form a government? What will this mean? Might another election take place? We cannot stomach another 30 million dollar waster of time/money. Or can we?How functional are coalition governments?

European nation/states have dealt with this siuation before. In Canada, we have not had a coation since the years of World War One.

I never thought I would see the day where milktoast Dion would be PM and a portion of governmental power would be wielded by a separatist!! This will happen if such a pizza parliament is baked. Hot and ready!

Thoughts from WP politicos? Especially in the light of a shaken world economy, terrorism, political instability and new government regimes to be installed shortly.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm

An affront to democracy? topic

This is what Stephen Harper says. :?

Right now, Michalle Jean is visiting Prague, Czech Republic. The Kafka lands! How ironic, or Kafkaesque! 8O

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 1:05 am

Depends on the country. Europe does it so frequently that is basically normal. It could be a problem in Canada, where all the people who were in the coalition in long days past are dead from old age. It might be better for the Opposition parties to have a vote of no confidence and hold another election.

The world sure is weird though. I never thought that the US federal Government would EVER work more harmoniously than the Canadian one. But the Tories tried to make a de-facto one party state, and they now must pay the price.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:18 am

It occurs to me that I am astoundingly ignorant as to the politics of my northern neighbors. You mean you guys have a government? And elections? Who'da thunk it... :P

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 1:43 am

Orwell wrote:
It occurs to me that I am astoundingly ignorant as to the politics of my northern neighbors. You mean you guys have a government? And elections? Who'da thunk it... :P

Basically, PM Bush-Lite tried to privatise elections in such a way that Canada would by reduced to a de-facto One Party State. The other parties, seeing a threat, banded together, and want to overthrow Bush-Lite, and his merry little band of Tory idiots.

Edit: Post count says that my account is a Major Hurricane. :P

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:19 pm

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Basically, PM Bush-Lite tried to privatise elections in such a way that Canada would by reduced to a de-facto One Party State. The other parties, seeing a threat, banded together, and want to overthrow Bush-Lite, and his merry little band of Tory idiots.

Edit: Post count says that my account is a Major Hurricane. :P

Coalegate topic

The title is almost ironic... :P

Orwell, this will affect Barack Obama and you Americans, so it might be wise to follow the news, even if reported by Americans in the US.

I need more evidence on coalition strategy and management. The last great coalition during the Great War involved just two parties. Now we have four major ones, all wanting a slice of the pie. Harper could just postpone Parliament until after Christmas. Even Elizabeth May (Green Party leader, no seats) is eying the Senate, and Senators here can be appointed to Cabinet Posts! 8O

Right now I am watching Mike Duffy and his news segment called "Government in the Balance" on CTV Newsnet. There is also a provincial election happening in Quebec, where Liberal Jean Charest wants to be re-elected.

Stay tuned. 8)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm

sartresue wrote:
Orwell, this will affect Barack Obama and you Americans, so it might be wise to follow the news, even if reported by Americans in the US.

I don't think our media outlets ever cover Canada, but I'm not sure of that since I don't follow them too closely- I mostly go for BBC. When finals are over I need to get around to learning about Canadian politics.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 1:18 pm

Orwell wrote:
sartresue wrote:

I don't think our media outlets ever cover Canada, but I'm not sure of that since I don't follow them too closely- I mostly go for BBC. When finals are over I need to get around to learning about Canadian politics.

Good for you!

Considering the last time there was a coalition in Canada, I think an electoral do-over, minus Dion, would be the best couse of Action. Also, since the Tories up, as down here, seem to be hell-bent on retaining power at all cost, the Liberals and NDP should merge. They should be for a moderate Social Democracy, and also give Quebec some more Autonomy.

I pay attention to Canada by the way. I am proud of the US and Canada.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 1:20 pm

Seeds of the solution topic

It is possible Harper might go, as he is the reason why we have this crisis in the first place, according to reports of calls coming in to MPs of all parties.

This is getting curiouser and curiouser.

I hope our Governor General M. Jean gets back soon, as she has an improtant role to play in all of this. I do not envy her task.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 2:26 pm

dion actually got power?

isn't he the bloc quebec guy?

didn't you guys have a vote a few years ago already about the whole split thing and they lost?

guess they're getting back up, eh?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 3:25 pm

skafather84 wrote:
dion actually got power?

didn't you guys have a vote a few years ago already about the whole split thing and they lost?

Dion is the head of the Liberal party. But yes, Quebec seems to be getting more attention.

It is kind of sad how little Aspie-Americans know about Canada. People should really go out and learn about it.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:27 pm

I don't like the idea of the Bloc having power in the Federal Government. I live in Quebec and their provincial equivalent, the PQ, is a party of bigots and radicals who play upon ignorance within the population of Quebec to turn people against Canada and, most of all, people of English background. The Bloc does not have Canada's, or for that matter, anybody's, best interests in mind. I suspect that if a coalition with the Bloc were formed they would do much to undermine the Liberals.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:30 pm

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
dion actually got power?

Dion is the head of the Liberal party. But yes, Quebec seems to be getting more attention.

It is kind of sad how little Aspie-Americans know about Canada. People should really go out and learn about it.

the very little i know comes from an online comic i read occassionally (obviously not anytime in the past couple weeks to remember dion...though i do remember that he was liberal party after you said it). filibustercartoons.com is the strip if you're curious.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:45 pm

Congratulations on getting your first McDonald's restaurant and 100 miles of paved road, Canada!!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:00 pm

monty wrote:
Congratulations on getting your first McDonald's restaurant and 100 miles of paved road, Canada!!

Congratulations Canada, on getting FM Radio!

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:14 pm

Congratulations Canada on your first daily newspaper.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane