Time Travel Fantasy... Do you believe in time travel???

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skywatcher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 7:14 am

Or else, do you believe that time travel will exist in the near term future, and that you hold/will hold enough significance to meet someone from the future?

Perhaps I'm strange in this, but its been on my mind since I was in elementary school. I've had some gut feelings about this. I figure I may develop time travel, I do have some gut intuition on time and its mechanics better than most people. I figure why not?

I don't know if such a thing is AS related or because of my particular circumstance. Don't know.

Skywatcher
-Time is on our side, yes it is...

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 7:21 am

I am very interested in the theory of time travel, but im not sure if it will ever become a reality. There are so many loopholes to consider, for example: Lets say Jeff invents a time machine, it becomes a great hit and people all over the world will be using it. Eventually, sooner or later someone will believe that time machines should never have been invented, so they travel back in time, killing Jeff so it is never invented, or invented later on by someone else, with the exact same situation happening all over again.

If it were possible, wouldn't we have met somebody from the future already?

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 7:27 am

I travel through time all the time... I can travel 24 hours into the future everyday... In fact, I sought of have to.

But to be be serious, yes, I believe it is possible.

Aleph0
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2008, 7:57 am

Prillix, you have a loophole!

If someone travels back in time to kill Jeff, I know he will fail, as Jeff did live to build his time machine!

I mean, as I believe, you can go back in time, after reading "Mobi dik" for example, find it's author, and tell him you've got a brilliant idea for a book for him, and dictate the book to him... but I know you can't convince him that Mobi will be a white dolphine, I read the book so I know he is gonna' write it with a whale...

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2008, 7:58 am

If time travel would be possible, then where are all those time travelers, that would then visit us? There should be quite a lot of them, especially around important historical events. Can't remember, that historical documents tell about large crowds of strange clothed people gathering anywhere.

If it is possible, would they see anything? After all, all the things moved to "now" from yesterday. Maybe you can travel in time, but there is nothing, because everything is here?

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:28 am

PilotPirx wrote:
If time travel would be possible, then where are all those time travelers, that would then visit us?

Usually, the possible models of machines to travel to past (to the future is easy) only work for a past after the construction of the machine. I.e., if, in 2020 a time machine is built, you can travel from 2100 to 2025, but not to 2015.

This is because the usual solution is to build a "worm-hole" connecting two points and, then, send one of these points to the future (creating a two-way road between the future and the present).

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:41 am

Personally I believe that the idea of "Time" is a man-made concept, made soley as a gimmick to help people understand when events happen. Time doesn't physically exist y'see. I also believe that the idea of time travel as we know it is thoetically impossible, although I would like to be proven wrong.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:50 am

Time is very interesting. I find the relationship between time, space and matter very interesting and utterly bemusing.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:53 am

Every time you accelerate, you travel a little faster into time than your surroundings. :)

So obviously it's possible, forwards.

But backwards... now there's a tricky question!

I don't know.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 8:55 am

Prosser wrote:
Time doesn't physically exist y'see. I also believe that the idea of time travel as we know it is thoetically impossible, although I would like to be proven wrong.

Time travel to future (enter in a machine, spending 1 hour inside, exit and... you are in the XXII century!) is theoretically possible and it was already tested (in a scale of microseconds, but the general principle is the same as for a travel of years or centuries).

The problem is time travel to the past.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 9:03 am

Well, yes, obviously. Put a few atomic clocks on some high-speed jets, and you'll see a difference. We've known this for some time.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jkennedy293

02 Dec 2008, 9:12 am

It may be possible to time travel into the future, but going back in time is impossible. It's just a matter of figuring out that pesky fabric of time and space. Once you get over that small little hurdle, its smooth sailing from there.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 9:21 am

I think it is my Aspieness that gives me a generalized disconnect to time/space/depth perception. My grasp of time is not good or intuitive.

However, I have experienced time travel frequently. It is not something I am conscious of doing myself. Rather, it seems I am placed back in time to watch an event. And most especially to hear, listen to an event, a talk, lecture.

I do not understand the mechanics of what happens but have learned to stay alert during the experience and focus on what I want to concentrate on.

When this first started happening to me I tried to describe it to ppl I thought would have a vested interest in what I was seeing, but that was a disaster. Instead of being thrilled with and for me, they went ballistic and made all sorts of false accusations. They were horribly cruel and evil. But with much research and interviewing I found out that what I was seeing was actual events -- they really did happen.

So I know that time travel is possible, but don't have much of an academic interest in it. I very much enjoy my own experiences but it's one of those things one learns to live with as a special obsessive extremely satisfying interest that cannot be talked about. No one would care, no one would understand, and all it would do is earn an "insane" label.

One of the most mind-blowing discoveries of reading about Aspergers is that there are all sorts of Aspies out there that have had amazing interests and experiences and the NT's most common reaction is, "Shut up, I don't want to hear about this."

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:43 am

There are such things as Time machines. These are gravitaionally collapsed stars that have an escape velocity exceeding the speed of light. These are called black holes which are nature's time machines. To build a time machine lets say the size of a car such as the time machine found in H G Wells' novel The Time Machine. Well that is a scientific impossibility and violates the laws of physics. There is a physicist trying to invent a practical time machine. I looked this on a You Tube site. It would be nice for me to go back to 1966 and bring myself as a baby from those savage, barbaric times to lets say 2010 and for me to live life without the aspiphobia of post industrial barbarians. The fact may be more pessimistic as any time machine that gets invented. lets say last year one could only go back to the time when the machine was first switched on. There may actually be no such thing on time travel into the past as this would involve travelling faster than the speed of light which is a violation of the special theory of relativity by Albert Einstein. Such objects mass would be imaginary that being the sqare root of a negative number. There is a matter of quantum physics which includes the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:50 am

Retrograde time travel is only an idea at this point, and only hinted at in some obscure mathematical principles that have yet to be fully resolved.

I believe in prograde time travel, at a rate of 1 second subjective (or less) to 1 second objective.

Only this, and nothing more.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:59 am

skywatcher wrote:
Or else, do you believe that time travel will exist in the near term future, and that you hold/will hold enough significance to meet someone from the future?

Perhaps I'm strange in this, but its been on my mind since I was in elementary school. I've had some gut feelings about this. I figure I may develop time travel, I do have some gut intuition on time and its mechanics better than most people. I figure why not?

I don't know if such a thing is AS related or because of my particular circumstance. Don't know.

Skywatcher
-Time is on our side, yes it is...

Absotootely. I've always believed in time travel and it's something I often think about when I "space out" and people wonder what I'm thinkng. I sometimes bore my wife with talk of the subject, which I admit I know little about. But I still think about it a lot and wonder what it would take to achieve it.