Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Davius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2005, 7:58 pm

Alright, I need some ideas for gifts to get some friends in my class. I don't want to get anything expensive at all (not only because I don't want to embarrass them but I really just can't afford much right now.) They are pretty good friends (more than peers to be sure) but no where near being my best friends. I don't believe they were planning on getting me anything, but I want to do something thoughtful for them. I also have a crush on one of them :P

So yeah, I need ideas. Nothing expensive, but nothing tacky either. And I can't stand buying people cards. Most of them are sappy and the joke ones are usually corny and dumb.

Elk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2005, 8:11 pm

just tell them merry christmas dude. that doesnt cost anything

Davius

05 Dec 2005, 8:26 pm

Not really a gift though. I say merry Christmas to everyone I know practically. I just want to do something that says that I appreciate their friendship. I want to do something that takes some effort and is actually pretty thoughtful, even if it doesn't cost a dime.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 8:58 pm

I've always wanted to give someone a box full of madagascar hissing cockroaches. :twisted:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 9:11 pm

You don't want to O.D. and make them feel lousy if they won't give them back. How about sharing out a box of candy canes? It's a nice, festive gesture, not too awkward, and yummy. :)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 8:49 am

Yeah, or some of those little Christmas toys which one never gets too old to receive? Like, you could get them those bell necklaces. Or Christmas earrings for the girls? Candy for all?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 1:40 pm

I like the ideas of little christmas toys, candy, or cheap holiday jewerly.

Davius,

If you social with these people outside of school you might consider cute, homemade gift certificates. For example, if you go to the movie with one, you might give him a box of popcorn (from home) and a note that next time you guys goto the movies, the treats are on you.

I'm planning on doing this next idea with my son for some of his friends, but then they are younger. Its a two part candy gift. The first part is a "reindeer" made from a candy cane. Its supper simple. Get instructions here http://amazingmoms.com/htm/christmas_crafts__1.htm
We make them without the pom-pom things around the "neck" and it looks just as good. Also, fell free to simplify the antlers. We do.

Then, get the tiny snack sized plastic bags (although sandwich would work). Drop in a handful of chocolate covered raisens. Give these out as you give out the reindeer. If asked why, casually mention they are reindeer droppings....

Okay, sorta immature but it always goes over well...with kids anyway....

Nitz
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2005, 2:28 pm

Do you know your friends' interests? If so, get them something relatively inexpensive, but that they'd definitely like to receive. If not, learn about what their hobbies are, then shop accordingly.

For example, I've done some Christmas shopping lately, and picked out relatively cheap ( $10 at most ) gifts that played to my friends' personalities. I got one of my teachers/counselors ( who is the person who led me to get diagnosed for AS, so I owe her greatly for that ) a blank journal with stylized paintings of cats on the cover, because I know she likes writing and cats. I got my best friend a theme deck of Magic:the Gathering cards, because I know he likes the game and would appreciate the specific cards I got him. I'm still working on my family, but there's 19 shopping days left, so I'll figure out something :)

Also, home-made gifts are a cheap but very effective way to show you care. Getting them a generic Hallmark Christmas card is tacky, yes. MAKING them their own personal Christmas card is a definite sign that you care.