Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 8:29 pm

I am just wonder ing if there is any one else that after an while with NTs and/or in differen't situations you burn out and find that you get headace like things but they arn't like normal headaces. I spent 1hour 30 minutes talking to some NT women today and now I have a headace(but its not a normal one its differen't and I can't explain it).
It feels harder to keep on topic when i have this headace and its really like i've burnt out and gone past my limits. And it usually takes any where between 30 minutes and 4 hours to recharge.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2005, 8:53 pm

Sorry, can't say I do have that problem...but then again, I probably wouldn't have lasted the 1.5 hours you did. :)

Elk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2005, 9:11 pm

what the hell is nt? do you mean et? i dont socialize all to much only with my family. and i never put myself in situations where i have to say more than hello or goodbye to anyone.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 9:34 pm

I hardly ever get real headaches (not counting the sinus irritation I get at work from the air conditioner), but if I spend too much time around other people, I'll get a nasty stomachache that won't go away until I get some "me" time. Antacids don't make it go away.

North
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2005, 9:52 pm

NT= neurotypical, or anyone that is "normal"

I definitely experience social burnout. I used to not be able to last an hour in most cases, and even less if people were over at my house. Now it takes about 4-5 hours on average, depending on the activity. I don't really get a headache, I just feel worn out and like I need to recharge.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 11:09 pm

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
I am just wonder ing if there is any one else that after an while with NTs and/or in differen't situations you burn out and find that you get headace like things but they arn't like normal headaces. I spent 1hour 30 minutes talking to some NT women today and now I have a headace(but its not a normal one its differen't and I can't explain it).
It feels harder to keep on topic when i have this headace and its really like i've burnt out and gone past my limits. And it usually takes any where between 30 minutes and 4 hours to recharge.

That happens to me, all the time. I find myself in situations where an NT will go on and on and it gets hard for me to follow what that person says, especially if they are women. The strange part is that I AM a woman, and I get headaches, afterwards. I think it's because many NTs add different slants to and chop up the English Language to the point that I don't understand what they're talking about. It causes me to develope very strange headaches. Than it takes me an average of 2 Hours to recover. I pop a couple of Tylenol and go into a quiet room, afterwards. :roll: :P

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 11:26 pm

Sigh. Yeah. I've had a headache since I got home from work and it's not showing any signs of letting up, and that was just from dealing with people in a functional business context. Not an unstructured "friendly" one.

I've really got to do some more endurance training on myself or something. This kind of crap has been going on since I started a new job a month ago and it's getting out of hand.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 11:39 pm

I pick jobs which give me the most privacy as possible.
Now and then some yahoo wants to be my friend. And they yap, and yap and yap.
This is what i do. I ask them, "do you like puzzles"? And then i rip a couple of pages out of my su-do-ku book and give it to them. Then i pull out a mountain of downloaded information and explain that i have to study.
Sometimes they'll ask, "Do you go to college?" To which i reply, "do you like puzzles?" then i force the pages in their face.

we aren't the only ones who have a difficult time with the nmon-verbal aspects of communication.

YES! to answer the question! i hate being obligated by conversations about the weather. i would take on any subject of substance, with anybody, for as long as they could last.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 11:43 pm

Not headaches, but by the end of the day I am really severely overloaded and stressed out... I need to get back to my apartment quickly and have a drink in order to relax and feel like myself again

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 12:43 am

I get this kind of thing where I have something that only can be described as a headache, but my head doesn't hurt. I need to get by myself and in a quiet place. Sometimes talking on the television has the same effect. With closed captioning I can watch TV for hours (with breaks).
Structured settings don't give me "headaches," it is only unstructured situations where there are many people talking at once and about different things and I am trying to follow everything.
Argh.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2005, 3:59 pm

I've been there, but I've learned to put a stop to it at the right time without being too rude.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 5:17 pm

1 hour. One hour and my mind was gone. Of course, I've lasted up to 3 before, but one hour with someone who likes to talk leaves my mind completely blank. I don't really get what I'd call a headache, more of a I can no longer think or speak sensation.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 7:58 pm

I get that from time to time. Interestingly, I get that more often from people I see on a regular basis, than from people I see occasionally.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 8:05 pm

Neuroman wrote:
I get this kind of thing where I have something that only can be described as a headache, but my head doesn't hurt.

Thats what I was trying to descibe. Its like a headace but it doesn't hurt. Just like being overloaded or something.

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2005, 11:18 pm

I’ve always called it “feeling blasted.” It feels like I’ve just finished some enormous mental task and my brain is just drained. It doesn’t want to process any more language and just wants peace and quiet.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 12:37 pm

synchro wrote:
I’ve always called it “feeling blasted.” It feels like I’ve just finished some enormous mental task and my brain is just drained. It doesn’t want to process any more language and just wants peace and quiet.

You know, that's kind of how it is with me. I often feel drained after social occasions and when I get home, I need to just wind down. Even when it is one of the few social events I enjoy, such as a PC usergroup meeting, a ham radio event, or a science fiction convention, I still need the down time afterwards. Socialization takes alot of me I guess.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"