Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

FireFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2008, 8:34 am

Can we send a probe to the Earth's core?

jonfr
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2008, 8:39 am

No.

The pressure is several thousands tons pr 1 km of pure rocks above it. Earths core is also estimated to be about 6000 to 10.000C hot. It possible is a molten iron under heavy pressure.

FireFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2008, 8:42 am

Oh too bad. It would be a cool thing to do.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 8:43 am

FireFox wrote:

Why?

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:19 am

It might be interesting to find out what is below our feet, but how would you solve the problem of how the probe would communicate its findings to the surface ?

Anywhay there are some interesting things much closer to the surface such as oil fields, you can detect these using a range of methods which include the uranium content in the rocks, the hydrogen content and other things. The way it is done is that a test hole is drilled and then a sensor is lowered in, by moving the sensor up and down the rocks can be scanned for the signs of oil/gas/water.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:42 am

Even if we were able to send a tube down to the core of the earth, that initial passageway of air could cause some serious damage to our geologic system with the explosion that would result, like shaking up a coke bottle and poking a hole in it. Or perhaps more accurately shaking up a can of air duster and puncturing it. If you were to do that in real life the explosion out of that can could likely kill you or cause severe permanent burns.

ForsakenEagle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:56 am

Did anyone here see the movie the Core?

I thought it was kind of a good movie.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:53 pm

Interesting though not a realistic movie (forgivable).

As for reaching the Earth's core, the other people in this thread pretty much summed it up. It would certainly be interesting though, I mean if you follow the Abiogenic theory of how petroleum is created, we might stumble across enough to feed our unquenchable thirst for oil deep enough in the mantle. This theory is probably not true though as oil is testable and all of it is of biological origin.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 3:04 pm

FireFox wrote:

Without practical value, the "cool" factor is drastically diminished.

Alien8ed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Dec 2008, 1:45 pm

Not only would the pressure be too much, but the density of the rock in the mantle would probably be too great in order to send a probe (approximately 70% of the earth is the mantle).

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:19 pm

besides, Arne Sacchneussen (sp?) has already done it...;)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
FireFox wrote:

Without practical value, the "cool" factor is drastically diminished.

Have you no natural curiosity, Fnord? Seeking knowledge for its own sake is worthless to you?

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 7:51 pm

Currently the materials needed to descend into the Earth's core simply don't exist. You'd need something with an incredibly high melting point, almost zero heat conduction, and capable of withstanding pressures that could crush a human being into the size of a marble. 8O

Not only that but that but you'd have to devise a way to communicate that far down into the planet. Electromagnetic waves could not possibly reach that far down, you'd have to use something else, and while science has discovered particles that could work, we are a long ways off from using them to communicate.

So bottom line: Maybe within a few decades, while impossible today there's no telling what science will discover.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 10:39 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
Currently the materials needed to descend into the Earth's core simply don't exist. You'd need something with an incredibly high melting point, almost zero heat conduction, and capable of withstanding pressures that could crush a human being into the size of a marble. 8O

Not only that but that but you'd have to devise a way to communicate that far down into the planet. Electromagnetic waves could not possibly reach that far down, you'd have to use something else, and while science has discovered particles that could work, we are a long ways off from using them to communicate.

So bottom line: Maybe within a few decades, while impossible today there's no telling what science will discover.

You need a way to refresh your tunnelling mechanism. Silicon-carbide bits dont last forever.