Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 7 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

I've noticed if you're NT they're just called your "favorite foods" which is normal. If you're aspie it's because you have an aversion to trying anything new, which is not normal. Go figure. :roll:

Most people think that if you like foods you once hated as a kid, it's because you've matured. But that's not really it at all. When you're a kid your taste buds are more sensitive. Also we're genetically wired to be wary of things we haven't eaten before because we don't know if it isn't poisonous.

I've had a lot of ear infections that may decreased my tolerance of bitter-tasting foods.

I guess I should be glad I was born female because it's more acceptable for adult women to like sweets or mild-tasting foods. But that's likely only because we're "weak".

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 2:24 pm

I usually make a batch of lunchboxes for the whole week on sundays. Usually grilled meat or chicken with rice or raw rice, plus whatever ready-made sauce I have laying around. It's more for convenience than for preference, but I don't mind it.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 7:41 am

I'm a foodie and will eat anything (that's real food). I'm a bit lazy about cooking though and wouldn't put in all the work trying new recipes all the time. So I repeat the same food quite often, like every two to three weeks we'd have the same thing again. I grew up eating seasonally, and I still do that to a certain extent. My kids used to be picky eater, but puberty fixed them. We've taken them to various different restaurants and they'd eat anything.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 8:05 am

I do this too.
I remember that in my last job, the office was located in a famous and agitated location of my city with at least 5 restaurants nearby. The other guys from my office constantly asked me why I liked to eat in the same one (and the same thing) every day while they had the habit of rotating through them.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

I walk to the same cafe at the same time everyday and order the same lunch, have done for a.long time. The guy that serves often gives a friendly laugh and starts making it for me before I ask for it. I never know what to say so just smile and stand there looking awkward.

I also have the same breakfast every day and I eat a banana at 12:30.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 4:30 pm

As a kid, I would have nachos and ice cream every day. Although my food palette has expanded since then, I preferred foods that are either microwavable or otherwise prepared in a short amount of time (I am not always a patient person when it comes to eating, I need my food ASAP)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

I used to buy cheese at a health food store. I'd look over the list of specials, and then, almost always ask for either NZ Edam, or Cheddar. One day, when the owner was just back from her vacation, I felt a sense of deja vu as I said the usual phrase, so I added, still monotone, "welcome home." Her assistant cracked up.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 6:53 am

I guess I don't fit in when it comes to food. :O I would eat almost anything and feel only a bit nervous about trying new food. If I feel a bit worried about a new food I think about all the weird things I have eaten before and liked, then I feel OK.

It might be cultural or environmental. We had no such thing like chicken nuggets or pop or ice cream or pizza when I was little. Just whatever was available cooked from scratch. I could eat them or starve. Sometimes I didn't eat very much. I know my mom would try to get my favorite foods, but she had no control over what was in the markets. There were just not a lot of choices and everyone ate seasonally. Like in summer if I visited another family they would be eating the same things.

When I came to Canada and shopped in supermarkets I was astounded about the choices. I didn't know how people could choose. I found flyers fascinating. I've never seen a shop's flyer before. :D It really felt like I came to the land of abundance. I felt it would be a shame to not try all sorts of different things available. Not trying to pick on anybody. Just sharing my experiences. My kids are born in Canada and like all the typical favorite food like pizza, spaghetti or ice cream. They don't crave fish and greens like I do. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2018, 5:25 pm

ever since I could remember, I've eaten some variant of brown rice and soup leavened with cheddar.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:41 am

It totally can be. I could be one of them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:28 am

lately i've been just grazin' on nuts and cheese and v8 juice.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 1:46 pm

If I actually really like something (which isn’t really much, at least not that isn’t horribly unhealthy), I can eat it every day for over a week and not get tired of it. Probably could for both lunch and dinner (I don’t really eat breakfast). My mom often will apologize for the lack of significant variation in dinners, I always assure her that I don’t mind a bit. And I’m picky but very easy to please, I’d be happy with just pasta with sauce on the side for quite some time and if I was in charge of my own dinners, would default to just a basic meat plus starch plus vegetable most nights.

I tend to have one particular food that I will eat a lot of for some time, but it does change (can be from a week to months, it varies). Currently it’s honey-roasted peanuts. I never really have one favorite food, though.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2021, 1:58 pm

I for sure eat the same things over and over. I get anxious about choosing something else but do, and it's usually ok, but then I go back to my regular unless that thing because my regular for months.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 2:01 pm

I eat the same things all the time, and use the same plates/bowls and utensils.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:54 pm

I believe it is very much an “autistic” thing. Without question. I have my favourites, but was far more open to trying new recipes and food from different cultures, as each year passed, from 16yrs onwards.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm

Hmmm didn’t read other comments

Though I think it’s probably just. Preference choice as opposed to an aspie thing...