Is eating the same things over and over an Aspie thing?

Page 5 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 2:29 am

Rocket, do you like optimizing movements in general?
I mean do you get special satisfaction out of performing optimal movements that feel right and don't waste moves?
I feel that I really get this satisfaction out of such movements.
Many movements like going down stairs two steps at a time, I have optimized to perform smoothly without falling down the stairs or wasting moves.
I like doing this thing when I am walking next to a ledge and I jump in one move onto the ledge sideways and keep walking on the ledge like I was walking on the ground, and without wasting any moves to break my stride during the transfer from ground to ledge.
I don't like it when I pick up a chair to move it somewhere else and it accidentally hits something during the transfer like another chair or the table, this is definitely not optimal and feels bad.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

12 Mar 2015, 3:23 am

The only reason I eat the same thing is convenience, I live alone so cooking for yourself is hard so I cook a couple days meals at a time. It's nice since I can relax on the off days.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2015, 8:40 am

I was more like that before I had children, once I had children I had to be a little more flexible. I still do it for breakfast though, it's easier to do it with that meal, since we often have different things. My thing is scrambled eggs and vegetables, will have that for s while ,often a couple of years, then switch to granola, muesli or oatmeal. I still do it for supper sometimes, I will have the same salad for awhile. My children are older now, and they can be quite similar to me. My younger child has had cheese, crackers and ham for lunch, for as long as I can remember, and she only eats vegetables raw.

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2015, 8:58 am

I tend to eat the same meal for a few days in a row simply because it's easier to cook once for several days. I'm also diabetic, so it helps to have similar meals set up at the same times of day to keep my blood sugar regulated better. I'm also not a picky eater. I grew up poor and thankful to just have food, so you ate what you had and dealt with it.

My son and my husband are NT- and they drive me nuts with their incessant need to eat completely different food every day. The rest of my family are like that too and I don't get it. Why not cook once or twice a week, use everything up, and budget more effectively? I could care less if I have tacos every night for a week, or salad every day for lunch. I know when I was a little kid I probably had a tuna sandwich and a bowl of chicken noodle soup for lunch every day almost every day. Why not? :heart: :skull:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 9:03 am

I only know I do this, totally. I latch onto a few certain types of meals and particular brands of things, and I don't like to shop for anything other than those, my favorites.

I'm not actually that inflexible when eating out or if a friend has me over, but for my own food shopping and my eating habits in my own home, yes, I'm very rigid and I have my favorites.

It's not that I never try out anything new, but once I do decide I like something I don't like having to change or give it up. It makes life easier, I think. Fewer decisions to make equals less stress.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Yes, and I think it's ok if the diet is healthy and not killing you.
I like the comfort, conditioning, and lack of surprises with eating the same things.

nomoretears
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Just curious - does anyone suspect they have an eating disorder? While it never occurred to me pre-diagnosis, I am starting to suspect this now.

Ive always had issues with my body. Its a double edged sword. It helps me achieve, but it can also be depressing.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few of women with anorexia were also aspies.

I do like things that are straightforward and efficient. Eating the same thing almost everyday is efficient.

Surviving Anorexia blog

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

My aspie ex-boss thought it was an aspie thing.

When I mentioned that I always had grilled chicken and salad for lunch, and having the same thing every day did not bother me, she gave me a funny look, similar to the one she gave me when she asked why I did the funny thing with my hands when I was concentrating intensely on something. She kept tying to tell me she thought I was autistic but it took me years to figure it out.

Now I have a varied diet, but this has to do with my wife, not my choices. Today it's grilled chicken, ginger rice and vegetables.

It's not something I really care about, but I like foods that I know taste good, give me energy without making me fat and that I don't have to think about much. Grilled chicken and salad is perfect. Why change it?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Adamantium wrote:
It's not something I really care about, but I like foods that I know taste good, give me energy without making me fat and that I don't have to think about much. Grilled chicken and salad is perfect. Why change it?

Figuring out what to eat is like solving a logical problem, and once you have a solution it sort of seems offensive to have to think about and solve the same problem over and over daily.
I also prefer not to think about such things.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 1:49 pm

I like to eat a variety of things (now-- I didn't always).

I do also tend to enjoy consuming the same things over and over. It is easy to do, and saves the effort of constantly coming up with something new. I enjoy the comfort of known tastes and textures. I enjoy the simplicity of choosing from a relatively limited menu (and also find that it is easier to get my kids to eat if the choices are relatively few).

I do, however, eventually get tired of consuming the same half-dozen meals over and over and over again, and then must go back to my wider repertoire and pull out a few "new old things" to wear out in rotation or resort to my shelf of cookbooks to find something truly new.

When I was a kid, I lived on the same small handful of foods for about a decade. Fortunately, meat, carbohydrates, fruits, and vegetables were all represented, if only in very limited variety. I owe my grandmother a deep debt of gratitude for all the years she spent preparing a separate dinner from the few things that I would eat; all I can say in my defense is that at least those few things were simple, cheap, and quick and easy to fix. I think cubed steak and fried chicken drumsticks were the most difficult things on a very short list. :lol:

300series
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 12:44 am

I think it is related to having Asperger's syndrome. I have always eaten the same foods over & over again. My breakfast, lunch, and dinner are usually the same every day. It is important to have a varied diet, but I am only comfortable eating foods that I know I like. I am afraid that I may get sick if I try something that I do not think I will like.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 2:40 am

I'm quite a picky eater, so I often eat the same things. For me it's a sensory thing, I find most foods to be overwhelming so I tend to stick to what I like. Regardless, I still manage to be fairly healthy.

Dunno if I'm aspie or not, but I'm certainly a picky eater.

tsurumi_aoyama
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2017, 3:36 am

During weekends, I used to eat the same Yoshinoya rice set for lunch, the same Subway sandwich with the same sauce for dinner, for whole three months.

In college, I always ask for the same omelet that the omelet guy starts to make it when he sees me entering the dining hall.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:41 am

As a child, I was a very picky eater. Now, I eat a variety of foods, but I do have my favorites.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 6:50 am

Could be, aspies i know are grown up and know they should eat a varying diet to get all sorts of nutrition.

But there have been times in my younger life when i have had the same meal for weeks because it was sooo tasty. Vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo, vindaloo. Then a change: Chicken achar, chicken achar, chicken achar (and so on).

When i was younger i always wanted chicken, rice with curry and every Saturday my father made it for me. If i didn't get it i would be cranky. I know that my sisters were extremely tired of eating it.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

Growing up, all I would ever eat were hamburgers, which was frustrating for my parents, brothers, and relatives. I later tried pizza & really liked it, so my diet improved somewhat. Two other foods I also really liked were waffles & French toast. I still eat those foods today, and I have always insisted that they be prepared the way I want them, with only the toppings & ingredients I like.

Today, I still bring exactly the same lunch to work with me every day, which is a Kellogg Special K protein milkshake, Yoplait vanilla yogurt, a piece of string cheese, and a granola bar.