Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

colbs49
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 3:11 pm

Why,some might ask. To put it simply us and the gay rights movement have a lot of similarities and face the same challenges. Both of us have a mental difference, we can't help it were just born the way we are. Since both of us differ from what is seen as normal naturally the Neurotypical population sees us as something wrong that needs to be purged from this world. Simply put, If Autism Speaks is to us than the Religious Right is to homosexuals. Yes prop H8 won't take away the right for us to marry but thats beside the point. The real reason why Prop H8 hurts us is that it hinders equal rights and encourages people to hate anything that is different from them. If any one stands for Neurodiversity Prop H8 needs to go, its time to overturn it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:29 pm

Yet another lame attempt to link Asperger's Syndrome with Homosexuality ... :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

colbs49
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 3:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yet another lame attempt to link Asperger's Syndrome with Homosexuality ... :roll:

How so? All I'm saying is that we face similar challenges, Im not saying Aspies=Homosexuals.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:41 pm

colbs49 wrote:
To put it simply us and the gay rights movement have a lot of similarities and face the same challenges.

This blatantly supports my statement.

colbs49 wrote:
If any one stands for Neurodiversity Prop H8 needs to go, its time to overturn it.

And this blatantly betrays your true motive.

Prop 8's passage was inevitable. The door's closed shut now. It happened, whether you like it or not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 4:39 pm

colbs49 wrote:
To put it simply us and the gay rights movement have a lot of similarities and face the same challenges. Both of us have a mental difference, we can't help it were just born the way we are. .

Some make the same argument for serial killers, but I don't feel that gives me anything in common with them.
(and no, I am not associating being gay with being a murderer - my point is precisely the opposite). The homosexual community can fight their own battles and have been doing so pretty successfully in most arenas for some time. I concede that those with ASDs have a long way to go toward making their differences understood, but I don't think it will help us accomplish that to hop on the gay rights bandwagon just to achieve visibility. That's not my parade, thank you, and I'd prefer not to confuse the two issues in the public mind.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Prop 8's passage was inevitable. The door's closed shut now. It happened, whether you like it or not.

The door's not shut. The laws can- and likely will- change again. In 50 years, same-sex marriage will be legal and accepted in almost all of mainstream society throughout the US.

Alaras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 6:23 pm

As a gay autistic man, I can't wait 50 years.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 6:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fnord wrote:

The door's not shut. The laws can- and likely will- change again. In 50 years, same-sex marriage will be legal and accepted in almost all of mainstream society throughout the US.

By that time, we'll likely be dead or too old to care one way or they other.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 7:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
colbs49 wrote:
To put it simply us and the gay rights movement have a lot of similarities and face the same challenges.

This blatantly supports my statement.

colbs49 wrote:
If any one stands for Neurodiversity Prop H8 needs to go, its time to overturn it.

And this blatantly betrays your true motive.

God forbid you might have something in common with a Gay person, because that means you are gay right? Can you say insecurity? I know you can :D This isn't to say that all people with Asperger's have to jump on the gay rights bandwagon, but the 2 groups of people DO face very similar issues in today's society. So, Colbs49, I KNOW what you are trying to say and totally agree.

To Fnord: Has anyone ever told you that you are kind of belligerent to people for no reason?

--Aldous Huxley

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:04 pm

Alaras wrote:
As a gay autistic man, I can't wait 50 years.

That's an outside guess. I think it will actually happen sooner than that, especially in certain areas, but that's when I think no one except a very small fringe minority will oppose gay marriage at all anymore.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:04 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
To Fnord: Has anyone ever told you that you are kind of belligerent to people for no reason?

Only those who can find no other criticism to use against me; although "Belligerent" is slightly more articulate than the words "Jackass" or "Jerk" - which people who are less sophisticated than you tend to use. :D

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:00 pm

If I recall correctly the California courts are now trying to figure out if the people had the right to strip rights from people in the first place.

I personally think that just like in our last civil rights movement, it will be the national government that finally grants the needed freedoms.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:01 pm

The rights of Gay people have nothing to do with the rights of Autistic people, unless you are both Gay and autistic. Homosexuality is not a mental difference.

colbs49
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 10:04 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
If I recall correctly the California courts are now trying to figure out if the people had the right to strip rights from people in the first place.

I personally think that just like in our last civil rights movement, it will be the national government that finally grants the needed freedoms.

I have a feeling it might be federally mandated soon considering we have a Democratic Congress and a Democratic presidency. Personally I think the best option as that both straight and homosexual couples will be given Civil unions. The reason for this is that most religions think homosexuality is wrong (personally I don't). Marriage is religious act and the government shouldn't have a say in it because of separation of church and state. With a civil union every one will have equal rights but the marriage will be based on religion and the tradition of a man and a women. It's compromise at best and I think radicals on both sides won't agree with it.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is prop 48?

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2008, 12:04 am

colbs49 wrote:
Personally I think the best option as that both straight and homosexual couples will be given Civil unions. The reason for this is that most religions think homosexuality is wrong (personally I don't). Marriage is religious act and the government shouldn't have a say in it because of separation of church and state. With a civil union every one will have equal rights but the marriage will be based on religion and the tradition of a man and a women. It's compromise at best and I think radicals on both sides won't agree with it.

8O Amen! I have been saying basically this same thing since the debate heated up with MA. People tend to argue that of course we should get married legally instead of CU, or they just look at me funny. It is great to know that this makes sense to someone else.