Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What kind of charity do you do?
I don't do charity 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
helping children 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
helping political prisoners/AI/HRW/etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
helping Third World countries/Medecins Sans Frontiers/Make Poverty History/etc 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
donating to scientific research 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
helping animals/endangered species 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
giving change to beggars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
voluntary work 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
a few of the above (which ones? why those?) 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 51

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 8:39 pm

I like giving to causes. It makes me feel like I am helping make a difference. I buy ribbons, badges and I've even got a bouncy ball to help causes. I felt bad when I passed I think it was a world aids day stand because I had no money to give.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

I give money to the bell ringers at wal-mart. Just a dollar or so though. Sometimes I'll give cans or coats as well when they have drives.

..I also will give a bag of catfood at my local bil-o to the animal sheleter bin from time to time.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

i donate for things sometimes.

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:24 pm

I don't have enough money to give away, but I'll gladly accept it if anybody wants to share. :D

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 4:25 am

Voluntary work in a supportive environment, with few people, where I'm given my own personal space to work.

I like giving my loose change to charity and supporting charity events.

I've also given money to natural disaster aid.

I've done sponsored walks, which are good exercise and help raise money.

I like throwing money into buckets because it makes people smile and I know they're not going to judge me. I feel good giving to other people and hope it will make a difference.

I try and think about other people and what they're going through and try to imagine what it's like.

I don't have much money to give at the moment though and that kind of makes me sad.
All I can give now is friendship and advice/knowledge.

I've given lots of money/time over the years.
Sometimes I feel that I should have been paid a little for investing all my time and energy.

Sometimes I do feel a little used.
Still feel lonely though.

As for the phrase "Charity begins at home.", my family say it all the time and make fun of some organisations and criticise/question their methods with healthy skepticism.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2008, 4:37 am

These are the charities I support by paying monthly or yearly:

World Vision (I'm sponsoring a kid in Albania)
Amnesty International
Friends of the Earth
The Migraine Trust
and of course The National Autistic Society

I've also done volunteer work for the PDSA (animal charity) and am currently volunteering as a liaison 'officer' with the local police, representing people with autism/AS and helping the police to understand about the condition and special care they might need to take.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2008, 4:41 am

I regularly give blood for the hell of it.
Or maybe the occasional cig or two to the homeless guys - they like em a lot.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 5:33 am

There recently has been more of a trend, for certain kid-targeting MMORPGs to provide a charity event, where you give virtual items, and depending on how many virtual donations they get, that's how much money is donated.

Hello Kitty Online did a Food for Friends Event during Founder's Beta where they took in virtual food, and said based on how much food was gathered, that's how much money they would donate to Unicef.

Club Penguin has been doing a Coins for Change donation project, where you give virtual coins you earn from playing mini games to a Penguin standing around a collections item. It's kind of like, how they will have people dressed as Santa Claus in cities ring a bell and take in donations. Depending on how many coins they get, that's how much money they donate.

I'm not sure about the math as in, what the items equal up to in real money it's not like you give 500 coins, and they give 500 dollars I think. Then again, I don't really know.

Here is the link to the Coins for Change project at Club Penguin:

http://www.clubpenguin.com/parents/kids ... g-kids.htm

I think they're going to start taking in donations on December 7th. You can always check in with the website, I'm sure they'll have some way of notifying that they've started the project.

I think this is a great way for gamers to feel that they're able to use their skills to help others.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 7:45 am

Xanovaria wrote:
I regularly give blood for the hell of it.
Or maybe the occasional cig or two to the homeless guys - they like em a lot.

oh yeah, I forgot that blood donation also counts. I used to be a regular donor (I'm a universal donor so I felt obliged) and hopefully will go back to that when I can.

I also give some change and cigs to beggars, especially those obviously addicted to booze or/and heroin. I figure they have no chance of ever coming off it and they need the escape more than they need their everyday bread.

BTW, does anyone from London know if the guy protesting by the houses of parliament is still there? I used to bring fags, coffee and chips to that guy regularily, I liked his attitude and he had some crazy theories to tell :P

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

I gave blood back in August & plan to do so sometime again after the holidays.

Did consider volunteering for Sisters of the Road,
a non-profit specializing in assisting the homeless
and has a restaurant where you can buy something for little as $2.
Was talked out of it by my paranoid mom.

Also considered volunteering for Bradley-Angle House,
a non-profit specializing in helping victims of domestic & sexual violence.
Bradley-Angle House also acts as a shelter of those harmed by it.
Did send a application, never heard back until yesterday.

I am committed to a six-month volunteering gig with Portland Women's Crisis Line,
a non-profit similar to Bradley-Angle House suffering from anonymity.
PWCL was picked by the Portland Mercury, a weekly newspaper, for their annual auction.
100% of profits will go to finance PWCL.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Dec 2008, 6:25 pm

I always donate used household items and clothing to the local Domestic Violence thrift store, as well as shop there. This helps the victims of domestic violence who have to stay at a shelter while putting their lives back together. They helped me, so I enjoy having something to give them. Bad health and low income prohibit me from doing more.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 12:49 am

I help animals and give money to beggars. I was homeless when i was younger, so i can relate. we also sponsored a kid for a while until we found out the charity the money was going to was a dud (and the guy running it was drinking away the dosh and living it up with sari'd women of ill repute from his village in India.) And i have nothing against women of ill repute - having been one of those in my younger years as well. i just wanted the money to go wher they said it would go!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2008, 1:02 am

millie wrote:
I help animals and give money to beggars. I was homeless when i was younger, so i can relate. we also sponsored a kid for a while until we found out the charity the money was going to was a dud (and the guy running it was drinking away the dosh and living it up with sari'd women of ill repute from his village in India.) And i have nothing against women of ill repute - having been one of those in my younger years as well. i just wanted the money to go wher they said it would go!

That always irks me, to hear that the money or donations are being misappropriated! I remember finding out that the volunteer staff, at a local homeless shelter, were taking food donations home with them, after work. Sometimes local, fancy restaurants would donate really nice dishes for the homeless supper, and the homeless never even saw the food. That really pissed me off. :evil:

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 4:55 am

I volunteered for cancer campaigns, and worked in various projects raising money for the local YWCA's special projects. I also volunteered at a drop in center for the mentally ill and homeless for years, and I support a local school that provides job training for kids who've reached the end of the line, many of whom are homeless and in shelters.

I like volunteering. It's fun, though there were many times it was discouraging.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 10:58 am

I do voluntary work and give regular donations to charitable causes.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 11:10 am

I do paid work where I help people. I figure that paid work takes up a large proportion of our lives, and we need to do it to earn our living, so I'd like to do work where I help people. And I rather help than give money, because charities often don't use money in a very useful way. Besides, I don't have much money. However, I love books, so I buy books from charity shops, because it's cheaper and because the money goes to a good cause. I always pass the books on once I've read them, either back to the charity shop or to someone in particular. Oxfam is the charity shop I prefer, because I know they use their money in a good, useful way, whereas a lot of the others don't.