Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What kind of charity do you do?
I don't do charity 25%  25%  [ 13 ]
helping children 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
helping political prisoners/AI/HRW/etc 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
helping Third World countries/Medecins Sans Frontiers/Make Poverty History/etc 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
donating to scientific research 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
helping animals/endangered species 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
giving change to beggars 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
voluntary work 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
a few of the above (which ones? why those?) 35%  35%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 51

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 11:10 am

I do paid work where I help people. I figure that paid work takes up a large proportion of our lives, and we need to do it to earn our living, so I'd like to do work where I help people. And I rather help than give money, because charities often don't use money in a very useful way. Besides, I don't have much money. However, I love books, so I buy books from charity shops, because it's cheaper and because the money goes to a good cause. I always pass the books on once I've read them, either back to the charity shop or to someone in particular. Oxfam is the charity shop I prefer, because I know they use their money in a good, useful way, whereas a lot of the others don't.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:13 am

I also donate my blood. Im on a every six week schedule. I also like to give but we are living on one income so money is not something I can give and I have kids who are ASD so I also have limited time. Giving blood only takes about an hour.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:36 am

I volunteer as a befriender for the NAS. I rather do that than give money or do fundraising. When I did befriender training I said I wanted to be placed with a young adult or adult, because I wouldn't be able to do kids and there isn't enough out there for young adult and adults.

. I know a bit about how charities operate because my friend has worked in a couple and she tells me about it. Charities aren’t these great ethical institutions some people think they are. They are also competitive even when cooperation could solve the problem better. Big charities often use pretty controversial fundraising practices. Like 'chugging' or charity mugging, which is a process of getting a team of people onto a high street pressuring people to sign up to direct debits then and there, often targeting young people who don't know any better. The initial payment is their commission. I won't do any direct debt with charities, and certainly not on the street or at my door step. Charity employees are doing it as a career chose not because they are special people.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2008, 11:58 am

I donate a lot and I have multiple volunteer jobs.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 4:18 pm

I don't that often, but I should. :(

I've been known to give my old clothes and other unwanted items away to charity shops. I find it hard to walk past some homeless people on the street, so I sometimes give them some change.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 7:54 pm

I volenteer at a local animal rescue so I can get "expirence" for vet school but I don't do people charties. Yeah, I am a selfish b***h by nature.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 06 Dec 2008, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:26 pm

Charity starts with the person topic

I do volunteer tutoring, at a mental health clinic, food drives and neighbourhood clean up. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

Our family tends to donate service, money or goods to charities/causes that have assisted us in the past. For example, we participate in research projects for autism, mitochondrial disease and eosinophilic disease (all of which our son has). Now that the kids are a little older and easier to care for, I donate my time to our Interagency Coordianting Council and participate in training sessions on communciation between families and their school administrations. My husband is also a community-oriented kinda guy and serves on our City Commission.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2008, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Did consider volunteering for Sisters of the Road,
a non-profit specializing in assisting the homeless
and has a restaurant where you can buy something for little as $2.
Was talked out of it by my paranoid mom.

Maybe you could buy some of their lunch tickets, or coupons, or whatever they call them. And give them to Transition Projects or to panhandlers.

I have a habit of giving stuff to the West Hotel (now under Salvation Army). I like to give them the kind of good stuff I would give one of my own sisters if they needed stuff.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:53 pm

"Charity" has helped in my family's time of need. However, I do not give at this time. I'm a selfish bastard by nature, but this is not the reason I refuse. I do not give based on the fact that I take care of number one before anyone else, and if I'm not in a position to help, I will not compromise myself further. That said, I plan to become rich as hell and build build build. I will make this world a better place by strengthening myself to the point that I can improve opportunity for others.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:58 pm

I rarely donate to anything, it's more of a trust issue than anything. But I'll gladly work a food kitchen or something along that line. I'm just really suspicious of charaties.