Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Space
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:24 pm

Is there even such a thing? I don't think I could get help for the things I need it for. I am 25, street smart, independent... but I have no social skills or friends really. I can work certain jobs and provide an income, be independent... but I can't help but feel like I miss out on a lot of life because I am not NT. I have nowhere to talk about these things besides on here. There aren't any support groups in my city... I don't know if there is anywhere to turn to.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm

No, there isn't very much support out there for higher functioning people. It's a little scary. We need resources. We have issues. We have legal problems, social problems, other problems. We need to have some resources for when we get into trouble or just need some help.

I worry alot about our lack of tangible resources. We're going to have to build them ourselves. How do we do that?

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:38 pm

Perhaps you could tell us where you live? We might be able to find a support group in your area that you arent aware of. I wish I could give you a link to useful help, but mild to high functioning adults really dont receive any help from anybody that I am aware of.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

05 Dec 2008, 12:45 am

GRASP- "The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Partnership"

may your god forgive you

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 6:16 am

There probably AREN'T, but.... There should be AT LEAST legal help. I almost got FIRED, and had to pay about $200 because I SUPPOSEDLY flashed a non verbal language that I was racist and hated a guy. What a bunch of BULL! I got threatened with suits for DUMB reasons, and the lawyer changed his "theories" every time I defended against an argument. In retrospect, I suspect a "friend" had a lot of complicity in it.

SMARTIE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2008, 6:47 am

There should be support groups local to you, the best thing is to do a simple search on the web to find them.
I did just that and am off the next support group meeting in my area for adults with AS in January. :wink:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 8:13 am

Try Googling 'Asperger life coach'. There are professionals who specialize in helping adults with AS improve their social/living skills.