Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 6:22 am

Helek_Aphel wrote:
There's Baron-Cohen's theory in which all aspies, including female aspies, have extreme male brains.
And there's this little detail in biology in which, because of the amount of testosterone in fetal development, people with a longer index finger than a ring finger have female brains, and people with a longer ring finger than an index finger have male brains.
I asked a female aspie (known on WP as Brook-lynn20) which finger was longer, and we looked to see that her index finger was longer than her ring finger.
This suggests that Baron-Cohen's theory was wrong.
Or does it?
Please contribute to this little test.

Its a rubbish theory as new research has shown that trans women (M2F) have not enough testosterone during pregnancy. So how could you be both trans and aspergers under baron cohens theory!

He does poor research as he is theory guided rather that research guided and he does not adequately answer holes in his theory. He behaves as if he wants his theory to succeed at all costs despite the evidence.

And if you read bps ethical guidelines you will find that his work is falling short there too. I dont think it does anyone a favour to sterotype, men, women and autistic people all in one go!

OutlawSteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2008, 3:43 pm

capriwim wrote:

I also have no sense of gender identity. The fact that I'm female means nothing to me. I really don't see myself in terms of gender at all.

I never really understood the social conventions about what females are supposed to do and not do compared to what is generally socially acceptable as so called "male behavior". I've always been securing in my femaleness but without the social stereotypes, so I know exactly what you mean.

I think the systemizing theory is interesting and very valid in my case. I'm an "extreme systemizer" and would always think of ways to categorize and organized things. My finger ratio is very low and almost off the charts, but having a long ring finger helps me play guitar better so I'd rather have manly finger lengths. My pinky is rather long too.