I like knowing people, but hate meeting people

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:24 pm

Anyone else feel like that? Whether it's potential people for dating or just friends in general, I just hate the whole process of "getting to know them".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

I love humanity. It's people that I can't stand.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:37 pm

Bataar wrote:
Anyone else feel like that? Whether it's potential people for dating or just friends in general, I just hate the whole process of "getting to know them".

I hear ya, man. I hate how so many people have this air about them, like they think they're "the s**t". People try to sell themselves to me, and I get intimidated or just put off by that whole "be impressed with me" vibe.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

I don't mind getting to know people in group settings, where there's more than one other person interacting, and you don't have to constantly switch between transmitting and receiving.

Mribakov
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2008, 12:04 am

Seems to be the same with me; I love people, and if they do the bulk of the work in the 'getting to know you' I am perfectly fine with them (an exception lies in my current girlfriend, for whom I attempt to crawl out of my protective shell frequently.)

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 12:45 am

I like getting to know people. I'm just not so sure if I like them getting to know me.

Still, once you find a way to remove the anxiety associated with it, both parts are pretty enjoyable.

greenlandgem
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2008, 2:05 pm

Ditto!

I just don't find people very interesting until I get to know them, and faking an interest in whatever it is they're yakking on about is exhausting. Then of course there's the whole issue of trying to think of questions to ask them about it. It's so awkward! I'm gradually getting better, but the first "getting-to-know-you" conversation with anyone is just excruciating!

KiraOdo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2008, 2:31 am

I don't mind getting to know someone, but I have a hard time being around people who have a problem being alone.
I don't have to talk to a person I might not talk to you for awhile, especially if nothing new occurred (I'm working on my "small talk" skills). I like being around people and not talking. I like doing activities with people, but I don't necessarily want to have a conversation that lasts for hours. Another pet peeve is that I don't really like being around people who complain constantly without trying to solve their problems. 8O It seems people expect me to be interested in trivial gossip because I am a woman.

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2008, 7:53 am

Bataar wrote:

Do you try to meet new people on your own or get a mutual friend to introduce?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Do you try to meet new people on your own or get a mutual friend to introduce?
Right now, neither. I never have tried to meet people just for the sake of meeting people and I don't really have any friends to introduce me to new people.

NarfMann
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2008, 8:32 am

I'm with you at least 100%, possibly more.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 8:36 am

Bataar wrote:

Oh me too!

I can't understand how people implement that step of the process.

To me they just seem to go from stranger ~~~~~> good friends.

HOW HOW HOW???! 8O

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 3:14 pm

Hahah, with me it's kind of the opposite. I like meeting people but usually stop talking to them soon after, usually because I find we just don't have good chemistry or anything in common. XD

JenniferJones2015
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2015, 1:02 pm

patternist wrote:
I like getting to know people. I'm just not so sure if I like them getting to know me.

Returning to an old post, but BAM! This describes me to a T.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 9:09 pm

I quite enjoy it in the dating scene, but I suck at it in a general social sense (i.e. going from acquaintance to friend) and do not enjoy it.

Suzyqqqq
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2015, 10:32 pm

Have you considered not antagonizing your existing friends? It would cut down on the need to keep making new ones.