Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 5:41 am

Do any married/living together Aspies need to take time out from their partners/families on a regular basis and how do partners react to this?

I have to be alone sometimes to recharge my batteries and hubby is OK about it most of the time but I think he still feels it as a rejection although I've explained that it isn't. He can't understand why I have to do this as he's not a 'threat'...I'm finding it very difficult to explain and feel guilty then for taking this time alone so I'm winding myself up and it's not recharging, just stressful. How do you handle this?

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2008, 9:28 am

Oh yes! In a way, I'm very lucky I married a workaholic for just those reasons. Actually he is lucky, too, since a needier woman would hound him to death over the time he is gone. He teaches 3 days a week and has his classes in a block of extremely long days. I am happy to see him come home, but I plan for these mini-vacations. Also he has to go for training four times a year, again times I also plan for. Even if the training is nearby, when he comes home he is absorbed in "homework" for the next day. He understands that I need this time and he thinks that it is an advantage that I actually thrive during these periods. He has a coworker whose wife is ultra-clingy and I guess he has seen how the other side is worse. The only thing I have to keep in mind is to remind him to let me know as far as possible in advance when he wants to "do something" so I can plan for it. I become testy if I am suddenly redirected.

For my part, I am a trail runner and a wildlife videographer, so I can spend long times doing these things. He has come to learn how important these things are to me and accepts them. He is not interested in them, so I don't have to worry about having company when I don't want it. But he teaches video editing, so I can involve him by tapping his knowledge. I also keep breaking cameras, so he gets to shop for new ones (something he loves to do.)

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

Yes, my husband is very in tune with times when I need to be alone and recharge. The kiddos really drain my patience and I don't want to do or say anything stupid if my nerves are wearing thin.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 12:53 am

My ex used to feel the same way about it, he never understood it at all...I think he understands more now though.

My son laughs about it, he can even tell anymore when I need to "recharge"..."mom you're getting cranky, I think you need to recharge."

Starr, don't feel guilty about this...everyone even NT's need some alone time once in awhile. Why do you think people go hunting, fishing, & hiking? :lol: Sure some of it's for the sport, but if they're honest alot will admit that it's for the time to "get away from it all" too that they crave.

My "recharge" time makes me easier to live with and better to cope with the everyday stress that comes my way, and it works better and comes with a smaller price tag than therapy or medication..and honestly what's so horrible about that? :wink:

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2008, 8:42 am

Beenthere wrote:
My "recharge" time makes me easier to live with and better to cope with the everyday stress that comes my way, and it works better and comes with a smaller price tag than therapy or medication..and honestly what's so horrible about that? :wink:

Exactly! My husband knows recharge time is vastly better in the long run than the times I'm chronically all peopled out.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 7:59 pm

I don't know how you ladies do it managing to live with a spouse. Good grief every time a friend suggests I should get a roommate or heaven forbid date again it makes me cringe thinking of having to share the same space with another person. I think I would go insane. Last time I lived with a girlfriend we almost came to blows since we were both Aspies.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 6:39 am

Ticker wrote:
... makes me cringe thinking of having to share the same space with another person. I think I would go insane. Last time I lived with a girlfriend we almost came to blows since we were both Aspies.

I have always thought 2 aspies together would be a bad combination, which makes me wonder why so many aspies are looking for other aspies :?

I need "quiet time" every now and then, more than time alone. But that usually means time alone, or time away from Sheila. She may try, but she just can't stop from talking. She gets mad (understandably) if I ignore her, but I sometimes just can't need space for my own thoughts. And if B1 & B2 are sqabling, or playing XBox, watching TV and playing i-Tunes, I just can't take the different sources of noise.

TotallyAlone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2008, 4:51 am

Oh, yes.

When living with the future xH, I used to try to lay down the law and say I needed 30 minutes silence. If I went into another room, after about 10 minutes he'd knock 'just to ask something.' In the same room, he lasted about 12 minutes. And he acted baffled every time I explained that an interruption meant that the 30 minutes started new and tacked on 10 minutes to get over the violation I'd experienced.

But he had a personality disorder and no core sense of himself as a person. When I was there, he sure didn't get me as a person or do anything to enhance my well-being.

Visits to his family get-togethers were nuts. They were quieter than mine, but had a way of reciting the same lines every time, just in different arrangements, the whole time. The first time, it sounded like conversation, albeit limited and delusionally narcissistic. The second time, it sounded like really bad accoustics. Like their own special form of stimming or something. Introducing a new topic threw them completely. There was zero space for a person to be an individual. Once, I managed to get time alone in the kitchen before dinner by volunteering to make the salad dressing ... and boiling a bottle of cheap balsamic vinegar down to a syrup. It only works well with high-quality stuff, but the point was that anyone who walked in to 'help' or 'check on dinner' choked, gasped for air and left fast.

I clicked on this thread thinking of taking breaks from communication with family-of-origin. My parents feel I owe them for not drowning me or putting me in an institution as a toddler. I paid them back for years and years, in so many ways, I finally burned out about a year ago, and haven't answered their last nasty letters. The womb donor had this thing about hanging out with me when I was visiting by coming down a few minutes after she heard the shower turn off; I guess her watching me apply makeup (which I only wore there to shut her up) was supposed to be female bonding time. Solved this by leaving bathroom door ajar but having only a nice bra + underwear set on. This freaked her out bc it's immoral, so she'd jerk back in shock and pull the door shut, asking if I didn't want to put something on. She'd wait outside and I'd take my time; at some point she'd get bored, knock and say she was going back upstairs. Awwwwwww ......

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:14 am

Ticker wrote:
I don't know how you ladies do it managing to live with a spouse. Good grief every time a friend suggests I should get a roommate or heaven forbid date again it makes me cringe thinking of having to share the same space with another person. I think I would go insane. Last time I lived with a girlfriend we almost came to blows since we were both Aspies.

I have fantasies about living with another Aspie, (or getting hubbo converted to Aspie :lol:) thinking they would understand my need for space/silence...maybe that wouldn't be a good ideas then. I had a couple of flat mates girlfriends in my distant youth, non-Aspies, who almost drove me crazy with noise, wanting to have parties 8O (outrageous! lol)...they started off as friends but after a few months I decided I'd rather struggle to pay the rent on my own than risk killing them :twisted: It was a truly awful experience.

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
I just can't take the different sources of noise.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hubs is very chatty too which is OK sometimes but when there are also other sources of sound, the tv on at the same time, or music, I can't filter out the different sound sources and it just becomes like an unbearable wall of information/sound coming at me, it's almost painful.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:26 am

TotallyAlone wrote:

I clicked on this thread thinking of taking breaks from communication with family-of-origin. My parents feel I owe them for not drowning me or putting me in an institution as a toddler. I paid them back for years and years, in so many ways, I finally burned out about a year ago, and haven't answered their last nasty letters. The womb donor had this thing about hanging out with me when I was visiting by coming down a few minutes after she heard the shower turn off; I guess her watching me apply makeup (which I only wore there to shut her up) was supposed to be female bonding time. Solved this by leaving bathroom door ajar but having only a nice bra + underwear set on. This freaked her out bc it's immoral, so she'd jerk back in shock and pull the door shut, asking if I didn't want to put something on. She'd wait outside and I'd take my time; at some point she'd get bored, knock and say she was going back upstairs. Awwwwwww ......

Hi TotallyAlone, and welcome to WP! :)

Yes, birth-family can be a major source of hassle! I moved away from mine as soon as I could. What is it about mothers who won't give you any space :x That's a great way of self-defence though, wearing 'immoral' underwear, lol. I used to play rock music in my room to keep mine away. 8) She got her own back by chatting endlessly about nothing while I tried to do my homework.
Strange creatures, mothers.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 11:36 pm

Starr wrote:
I have fantasies about living with another Aspie, (or getting hubbo converted to Aspie :lol:) thinking they would understand my need for space/silence...

Starr, if any of us have learned anything from WP its that Aspies can't get along with one another very well even within the same thread, so in the same house would be suicide. The mere thought is so traumatizing to me that I feel a panic attack coming on!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 11:44 am

Ticker wrote:
Starr wrote:
I have fantasies about living with another Aspie, (or getting hubbo converted to Aspie :lol:) thinking they would understand my need for space/silence...

Starr, if any of us have learned anything from WP its that Aspies can't get along with one another very well even within the same thread, so in the same house would be suicide. The mere thought is so traumatizing to me that I feel a panic attack coming on!

Oh well....there's another delusion of mine gone *pop* :lol: I don't mind people online half as much as I do IRL. I have had the odd argument here but I think I'm more tolerant of others here generally because I can always turn off the computer. I'm still looking for the off switch for people in real life. Or at least the mute button.

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread. I think the question of balancing your own needs for space with that of people with whom you live is sometimes difficult, but vital for sanity.