Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2008, 5:32 am

I found Mamen's book at the library. check for palombo's too if you are so inclined.
reading any of the books yet, lostinspace?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:33 am

vivinator wrote:
I found Mamen's book at the library. check for palombo's too if you are so inclined.

I actually am in the middle of moving for a job 8 hours away, so unfortunately I don't have much time to read now. I can't wait to get settled though and be able to pick up these books!

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:50 pm

In trying to figure out why some things were difficult for me in school I read quite a bit about NLD. It turns out I have the opposite of NLD - it's called "Visual-Spatial Learner." I had my mom read through Visual-Spatial Learning and she said, "How did they know how to exactly describe you?"

Supposedly Visual-Spatial relies more on the right hemisphere of the brain and that Nonverbal Learning Disorder is more left-brained.

Z

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:55 pm

I know very little about NLD...but I thought I had read that people with NLD are usually right-handed.

I fit pretty much all the criteria, but I am left-handed...i have always had the impression, based upon the various difficulties that I have, that um...even though I am right-brain-dominant...there is something that is sorta dysfunctional with that hemisphere.

I can hardly see out of my left eye..which is my dominant eye...for one thing...I do have problems...more than i should...with visual/spatial stuff....this coming from a family of artists and architechts..no less.. :? ....and yet I am a visual thinker....it is hard to describe... :?

I can have trouble with reading comprehension..am a very slow reader...etc....

Is there anything to be said about left-handed people with NLD?

This seems to be the crux of how my mind is all messed up...
It is threads like this that really make me think I have some sorta brain damage...in addition to a genetic predisposition to AS spectrumy type stuff..

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 20 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
vivinator wrote:

I actually am in the middle of moving for a job 8 hours away, so unfortunately I don't have much time to read now. I can't wait to get settled though and be able to pick up these books!

congrats! what job is it something to do with speech language pathology? nyc?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:01 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:

You can definitely have NLD and be left-handed. In fact, the subject of one of the earliest NLD case studies from the 70s was left-handed.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

But is it true that it is said that they are usually right-handed..because of having difficulties with the right hemisphere?

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:34 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
But is it true that it is said that they are usually right-handed..because of having difficulties with the right hemisphere?

Handedness is thought to reflect the opposite hemisphere from the dominant hand you use. Because those NLD are evidently more left-brain dominant, they more frequently use their right hand.

Of course, some people are forced to write with their right hand (that happened to my dad), and others use either hand about the same. I can write forward with my right hand and backward with my left (that's called mirror writing). Handedness isn't all that clear cut.

Z

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:58 pm

My point though is that I am naturally right-brain dominant...but I also have troubles with my right brain processes...

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:35 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
My point though is that I am naturally right-brain dominant...but I also have troubles with my right brain processes...

You might want to check out Visual-Spatial Learner - it explains a lot about right-hemisphere dominance (for instance, difficulties in reading), but also how sometimes there are also difficulties within the right hemisphere. Some visual-spatial learners actually also have problems with vision. There are some downloadable articles here: www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatia ... ticles.htm

Z

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:18 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I know very little about NLD...but I thought I had read that people with NLD are usually right-handed.

I fit pretty much all the criteria, but I am left-handed...i have always had the impression, based upon the various difficulties that I have, that um...even though I am right-brain-dominant...there is something that is sorta dysfunctional with that hemisphere.

I can hardly see out of my left eye..which is my dominant eye...for one thing...I do have problems...more than i should...with visual/spatial stuff....this coming from a family of artists and architechts..no less.. :? ....and yet I am a visual thinker....it is hard to describe... :?

I can have trouble with reading comprehension..am a very slow reader...etc....

This seems to be the crux of how my mind is all messed up...
It is threads like this that really make me think I have some sorta brain damage...in addition to a genetic predisposition to AS spectrumy type stuff..

Just want to say: my father has definite NLD traits as well as AS. His special interests are history and politics and he is a brilliant writer and great with languages. And, he is left handed.

(Im right handed myself.)

Taking a break.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2008, 6:15 am

vivinator wrote:
here's info on subtypes in Palombo's book:
http://booklocker.com/pdf/3562s.pdf

More recently, new information arrived on the scene. Joseph Palombo, a Clinical
Social Worker, is Founding Dean and faculty member of the Institute for Clinical Social
Work in Chicago, and a staff member of the Rush Neurobehavioral Center in Chicago. His
2006 book, Nonverbal Learning Disabilities: A Clinical Perspective14, radically revamped
the definition of NLD with his Theory of NLD Subtypes. According to Palombo, there exists
a core of Nonlinguistic Perceptual Deficits – a set of symptoms of NLD common to everyone
who has it.
This set of deficits, he says, constitute “NLD Subtype I.” If, in addition to meeting
the criteria for NLD Subtype I, you also have difficulties in attention, impulse control, and
executive functioning, you fall into the category of “NLD Subtype II.”
Or if, in addition to meeting the requirements for NLD Subtype I, you have
difficulties in “reciprocal social interactions” (e.g. being argumentative, disrespectful,
having few or no close friends and/or being teased and rejected by peers), “social
communication difficulties” (e.g. not knowing what and what not to say, and when and
when not to say it), and “emotional functioning difficulties” (e.g. poor self esteem, anxiety,
and poor self-regulation); to the exclusion of having problems with attention, impulse
control, and executive functioning; then you have “NLD Subtype III.”
If, however, you meet all the criteria, then you have “NLD Subtype IV.
” 15

Based on that, I probably have Subtype III; I have social problems, but not attention and impulse control problems (my executive functioning isn't great, but I think it's probably only a little below average).

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

vivinator wrote:
congrats! what job is it something to do with speech language pathology? nyc?

Thank you! Yeah, it's a job as a speech language pathologist in a rehab hospital working with adults with strokes, degenerative diseases, brain injury, etc. I actually live near NYC now, so the job is in Pennsylvania.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 11:44 am

AngelUndercover wrote:
Based on that, I probably have Subtype III; I have social problems, but not attention and impulse control problems (my executive functioning isn't great, but I think it's probably only a little below average).

I think I have subtype II. My social skills are not great, but I just don't think they are as impaired as the case studies I have read in the literature. My brother, whose opinion I trust on this, told me my social skills are "okay, but not great." I think that is a good description- my only really problematic social skill is eye contact. I think my secondary anxiety problems have interfered with social relationships much more than any deficits in social skills. On the other hand, my executive functioning problems are so bad that psychologists always think I have ADD.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 1:16 pm

Zonder wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

Handedness is thought to reflect the opposite hemisphere from the dominant hand you use. Because those NLD are evidently more left-brain dominant, they more frequently use their right hand.

Of course, some people are forced to write with their right hand (that happened to my dad), and others use either hand about the same. I can write forward with my right hand and backward with my left (that's called mirror writing). Handedness isn't all that clear cut.

Z

Most writing is left to right, and that means that it is EASIER(for EVERYONE all things being equal) to write with the RIGHT hand! Sorry, that is just a FACT! In fact, THAT is the reason why there are TWO ways to write with the left hand. The method where you hold your wrist ABOVE the writing implement, rather than the expected place to the left, is a feeble attempt to regain some control that is LOST because you are otherwise pushing the pen AWAY from you. Right handed people write ONE way, because they are pulling the pen TOWARDS them. ANYONE, except those with a VERY strong preference for, or taught to write with, the left hand, will write MOST languages with the RIGHT hand! This INCLUDES english, spanish, french, polish, russian, greek, latin, hindi, etc.... Heck, the only language I ever looked at that I can think would favor the left is hebrew.

So saying that right handed writing indicates anything is RIDICULOUS in most cases.

BTW that is probably the first time we get a lot of practice with fine control, and may explain everything else.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 1:41 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
AngelUndercover wrote:

I think I have subtype II. My social skills are not great, but I just don't think they are as impaired as the case studies I have read in the literature. My brother, whose opinion I trust on this, told me my social skills are "okay, but not great." I think that is a good description- my only really problematic social skill is eye contact. I think my secondary anxiety problems have interfered with social relationships much more than any deficits in social skills. On the other hand, my executive functioning problems are so bad that psychologists always think I have ADD.

Regarding the subtypes, I think I have subtype IV. I have so many of the NLD traits it isnt funny! Motor skills problems, social skills problems, attention problems, language abilities, and also some spacial reasoning problems (which are now better because I learnt to drive, took a whole year though, lol.)

Taking a break.