Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2008, 9:55 pm

anyone confused by this? I mean it seems like you can basically have just 1 nld trait ie social that is major and the other 2 traits could be minimal and still have NLD.

a book that discusses subtypes:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Unders ... 1843105930

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 12:14 am

I fit the NLD profile to a T, have all the traits.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

By some accounts, I have ALL of them, but I at least have most.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 8:22 am

I haven't read the book, but I would think the other two traits (visual-processing and motor skills?) would have to be at the very least below average, if not downright impaired (where below average= more than at least one standard of deviation below the mean) for a diagnosis of NLD.

I'm definitely going to get this book right away though, thanks!

See, this is why we need an NLD sticky- so we could work up a list of book and article resources. I wish a mod would respond to that thread in the Wrongplanet discussion forum.

Even though it looks like you're supposed to request something like this by posting in that forum, if it gets to the point that a full week has gone by without a response, I will PM a mod directly.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2008, 2:25 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
I haven't read the book, but I would think the other two traits (visual-processing and motor skills?) would have to be at the very least below average, if not downright impaired (where below average= more than at least one standard of deviation below the mean) for a diagnosis of NLD.

I'm definitely going to get this book right away though, thanks!

See, this is why we need an NLD sticky- so we could work up a list of book and article resources. I wish a mod would respond to that thread in the Wrongplanet discussion forum.

Even though it looks like you're supposed to request something like this by posting in that forum, if it gets to the point that a full week has gone by without a response, I will PM a mod directly.

ah I'll be interested to see your reaction after you read it. your welcome. ah too bad nobody has responded. but good luck on the follow up if it comes to that.

here's another NLD book discussing subypes:
http://www.npbcatalog.com/nppsych/070478.html

what books have you read about nld?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 2:20 pm

bumpers thumpers

-HL Mencken

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:46 pm

I have all the NLD traits plus some AS ones too.

Taking a break.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 10:53 pm

There's subtypes? 7 years with an NLD diagnosis and that's news to me...what are they?

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 11:30 pm

pineapple wrote:
There's subtypes? 7 years with an NLD diagnosis and that's news to me...what are they?

well i think it's just each characteristic: visual, motoric, social 1 more thing maybe. that's what I got from the 1st book at least.
try looking at one of the 2 books above
I think I browsed the 1st one at a local library

here's info on subtypes in Palombo's book:
http://booklocker.com/pdf/3562s.pdf

More recently, new information arrived on the scene. Joseph Palombo, a Clinical
Social Worker, is Founding Dean and faculty member of the Institute for Clinical Social
Work in Chicago, and a staff member of the Rush Neurobehavioral Center in Chicago. His
2006 book, Nonverbal Learning Disabilities: A Clinical Perspective14, radically revamped
the definition of NLD with his Theory of NLD Subtypes. According to Palombo, there exists
a core of Nonlinguistic Perceptual Deficits – a set of symptoms of NLD common to everyone
who has it.
This set of deficits, he says, constitute “NLD Subtype I.” If, in addition to meeting
the criteria for NLD Subtype I, you also have difficulties in attention, impulse control, and
executive functioning, you fall into the category of “NLD Subtype II.”
Or if, in addition to meeting the requirements for NLD Subtype I, you have
difficulties in “reciprocal social interactions” (e.g. being argumentative, disrespectful,
having few or no close friends and/or being teased and rejected by peers), “social
communication difficulties” (e.g. not knowing what and what not to say, and when and
when not to say it), and “emotional functioning difficulties” (e.g. poor self esteem, anxiety,
and poor self-regulation); to the exclusion of having problems with attention, impulse
control, and executive functioning; then you have “NLD Subtype III.”
If, however, you meet all the criteria, then you have “NLD Subtype IV.
” 15
As new and innovative as Palombo’s research is, there still remain some very
important unanswered questions. Whatever one might postulate are “core” symptoms,
what proof is there that these must be “required,” as opposed to saying that NLD is just
one big conglomeration of random symptoms? Are any symptoms absolute, regardless of all
the changes in life? Do any symptoms change or lessen over time, and if so, how and when?
How many and which symptoms must there be, as a minimum, in order to diagnose NLD?
Which “symptoms” may be just personality traits?

-HL Mencken

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 11:37 pm

from the 1st book:
lol i remember the part about being athletic and socially popular. I was like what! 8O

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book.php/e ... 1843105930

This classification of subtypes of NLD is founded on clinical practice - those individuals we see in our offices for assessments and interventions - not on empirically based research studies. In our multidisciplinary practice, our experiences with clients of all ages tell us repeatedly that not all individuals with NLD show the full range of difficulties that are contained in the literature on the NLD syndromes. For example, while many have noticeable social difficulties or problems with balance and coordination, still others are socially popular and athletically talented. We have thus concluded that grouping all individuals with NLD under one diagnostic "label," especially when attempting to generate a useful set of recommendations, is neither realistic nor helpful, since there appear to be as many differences within the group as there are between this group and other learning exceptionalities. In addition, the sheer volume of symptoms, behaviors, emotional factors, and other issues presented by such eminent authors as Byron Rourke, SueThompson, and others are more often than not completely overwhelming anddistressing for those people involved in any aspect of NLD from either a personal or a professional perspective. Thus, it is our belief that separating themajor presenting issues into four clusters, or "subtypes," can be helpful in understanding, assessing, diagnosing, and managing individuals with learning disabilities by giving everyone a focus and a place to start.

-HL Mencken

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 11:39 pm

ah, here's the subtypes from mamen's book:
http://www.fvb-psychologists.com/pdf/Ma ... ing-01.pdf

One psychologist, Dr. Maggie Mamen,
who has extensive experience working with
children with a Nonverbal Learning Disability,
has developed the following clinical subtypes:
1) Perceptual; 2) Social; 3) Written
Expressive; and 4) Attentional.
Children
with perceptual difficulties often have messy
and disorganized notebooks, a weakness in
spelling, mapping, graphing, and poor task
completion. In written work, difficulties with
sequencing and reversing of letters in words
are found. The child with primarily social
difficulties often has trouble making and
keeping friends, and may present as odd or
as a loner. Children with a significant
weakness in written expression often have a
history of actively avoiding colouring, copying,
and printing; they often have a weakness in
their fine motor skills. In the subtype,
attentional, the child may present with
symptoms suggestive of an Attention-
Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD), but
these symptoms are only present at school
and not at home or in other community-based
activities. Furthermore, testing will often
indicate adequate memory for verbal
information but difficulty paying attention to
visual detail.

-HL Mencken

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:40 pm

I can't say I totally understand that, but thanks for the information.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

pineapple wrote:

sure i wonder if you read the latest post which ha dmamen's subtypes.

-HL Mencken

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 12:14 am

vivinator wrote:
pineapple wrote:

sure i wonder if you read the latest post which ha dmamen's subtypes.

I did read it. I guess what seems confusing is that most of those problems, such as an inability to make friends, can have a lot of different causes. Not to mention that most of those subtypes are pretty foreign to my own experience. I was under the impression that most people with NLD had social difficulties-- isn't that pretty much a given if you don't understand nonverbal communication? One thing I can't seem to figure out it whether or not I have poor spatial skills. I do have very good handwriting, though, which is apparently uncommon to NLD people...

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 1:26 pm

pineapple wrote:
I do have very good handwriting, though, which is apparently uncommon to NLD people...

I have good handwriting as well, although I do hold my pen oddly (resting against my ring finger rather than my middle finger) because I feel I have more control that way- my hand cramps up really easily though. But I don't think I've ever had a problem with handwriting, even though according to my neuropsych, my poor Grooved Pegboard test results mean that I have poor visual-motor coordination.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:23 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
pineapple wrote:
I do have very good handwriting, though, which is apparently uncommon to NLD people...

I have good handwriting as well, although I do hold my pen oddly (resting against my ring finger rather than my middle finger) because I feel I have more control that way- my hand cramps up really easily though. But I don't think I've ever had a problem with handwriting, even though according to my neuropsych, my poor Grooved Pegboard test results mean that I have poor visual-motor coordination.

I hold my pen oddly too, which my third grade teacher gave me SO MUCH crap for. I should send her a handwritten letter now... :wink: