It is, though it has its advantages 50%  50%  [ 28 ]
I think it is better to have autism/AS than being NT 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
I resent the fact I have AS 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 56

Vulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2008, 5:20 pm

when stuck with these choices i would say it is, but that it has its advantages...

but i am also reminded by a Japanese saying i got from a anime: "Specialization breeds weakness", but as a counter to this i would say, human advances are made by the strange, not by the common.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:21 pm

I see it as a good thing, but I guess it could be a handicap depending on how bad you have it.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:28 pm

I think and voted that it is. Because no matter how hard I try, how much I work on myself and my social skills, women still reject me because of my AS. God gave me AS so I will never have a real reltionship and God knows its the only thing I want to be happy. God is evil and likes to screw with people.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:33 pm

SpongeBobRocksMao wrote:
I see it as a good thing, but I guess it could be a handicap depending on how bad you have it.
"good thing" and "handicap" are not mutually exclusive... 8)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 5:35 pm

At this point in my life, I consider it a disability. It's not the AS in total so much as the sensory integration difficulties, which leave me in a state of physical and mental exhaustion. I am limited in how much I can be around people; I have to get a certain amount of sleep in order to function well. I could not work even a half-time job right now. I can't go to some of my daughter's events at school because the crowds overwhelm and exhaust me.

It seems as I've gotten older, my ability to work around the AS stuff has declined. When I was 25, I could power my way through tons of stuff. At 50, I'm struggling with just getting through each day with some dignity. I'm fortunate in that I have a husband and partner who does some of the things that are difficult for me, and I can concentrate on playing to my strengths. I'm getting involved in service to my community, so I get a feeling of satisfaction and get to be around nice people until I hit overload and need to go home.

I find that I am living a paradox that is perhaps not uncommon for people on the spectrum. On the one hand, I love all the good qualities I have because of the AS, and I feel so liberated by my diagnosis that I no longer do things to be part of social groups, but for my own interest and contentment. On the other hand, when I'm out in the world, I'm pretty clearly disabled from doing many of the things that NTs take for granted.

I don't have any trouble having a neurological disability. It explains an awful lot about limitations that I used to think were just neuroses or laziness. The worst part for me is to give up the shame I've lived with most of my life. The AS diagnosis is helping, but it's a work in progress.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 5:39 pm

Is it?

Only on this planet.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:44 pm

I don't dislike AS. I think it's a very handy lil gift in some ways... however, it's not always easy, and with it I can carry an extra weight that most people don't even think about.

I like it though. I don't see it as a disability.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

I can't see me without my autism.

I like me for me -that includes Aspergers syndrome.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:19 am

For my own part I'd say that I consider it (AS) to be a condition with both handicaps and advantages (and some mere oddities) within.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 11:57 am

Crocodile wrote:
My mother sees autism as a handicap. Though I find that NT's are handicapped in their way too. We have different sorts of, if it depends on me. What do you think?

Parents will see it that way coz they cant understand their own child... Its annoying coz my mum has actually become LESS UNDERSTANDING recently!! !

Anyway, I voted for "I think it is better to have autism/AS than being NT" coz it is... I read about how NTs think and I think about how useful some Aspie stuff is (sucking up knowledge about stuff, being interested in more than just social stuff, very good long term memory) and I think that I would HATE to be NT... I would rather die.

AliasPseudonym
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2008, 12:44 pm

Handicap: in video gaming

A limitation placed upon a stronger player to allow him or her to play against a weaker player without simply winning all the time.

I guess you could call it a handicap ^.^