Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 9:13 pm

rabbit90 wrote:
I agree that everyone should be able to choose when they wish to produce offspring, but I feel that parents shouldn't be allowed to reproduce that late. It's unfair on the children and is only selfish.

The government has no right to tell anyone not to reproduce.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

10 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Terry Fox ran halfway across Canada with one prosthetic leg. Do you think God was trying to prevent him from running by taking away one of his legs? I think not.

That goes for everyone else who's ever overcome a handicap.

This is no handicap. This is the natural order of things.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 11:06 pm

anna-banana wrote:
I don't like the fact that they did it for the male heir a lot more than just the fact that the woman is a dinosaur...

Like how people in Canada prefer a baby girl, the Chinese and Indians prefer boys. Traditional reasons. Again, in parts of India, like Kerela and Meghalaya, a baby girl is prefered due to the dominant matriachal society.

slowmutant wrote:
I strongly suspect it has something do with the fact that India has a ridiculous amount of people within its borders. Their sheer numbers are distorting their DNA.

Unfortunately, India has a high fertility rate. Government family planning attempts have completely failed.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 11:11 pm

^

Quote:
Unfortunately, India has a high fertility rate. Government family planning attempts have completely failed.

I don't want to come off as ignorant but isn't that because they won't use....erm..protection?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 11:43 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Wow. That's pretty old. Good for her!

Quote:
In India, it's common to abort female fetuses, although it is illegal for doctors to reveal the sex of a fetus to pregnant parents.

Why is it illegal? to stop people from aborting based on the sex of the child? What about people who aren't going to abort? what if *they* want to find out? That is unfair.

Its a security against people aborting healthy children based on sex, yes. It may seem "unfair" to you, but in a culture where female gender can be a death sentence to an unborn child, its an unfairness that saves lives. If they just went round telling them all the sex, how many would carry to term? It would increase the abortion rate of girls exponentially.

Some laws are not there to be arbitrary, or mean, or controlling. They are there to help.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:30 am

i just cant care no matter how hard i try

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:39 am

We know, but at least you cared enough to post.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:45 pm

I think it's unfair of them to have a child at their age just so that they can have a male heir. It sounds a bit selfish.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:51 pm

Macbeth wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

Quote:
In India, it's common to abort female fetuses, although it is illegal for doctors to reveal the sex of a fetus to pregnant parents.

Why is it illegal? to stop people from aborting based on the sex of the child? What about people who aren't going to abort? what if *they* want to find out? That is unfair.

Its a security against people aborting healthy children based on sex, yes. It may seem "unfair" to you, but in a culture where female gender can be a death sentence to an unborn child, its an unfairness that saves lives. If they just went round telling them all the sex, how many would carry to term? It would increase the abortion rate of girls exponentially.

Some laws are not there to be arbitrary, or mean, or controlling. They are there to help.

That's true.

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2008, 2:09 pm

Idiotic parents. Those children are almost guaranteed to become orphans before they are fully grown.

It's completely unnatural to have children at that age.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 3:10 pm

m91 wrote:
Idiotic parents. Those children are almost guaranteed to become orphans before they are fully grown.

a lot of medical advances are unatural and im sure glad we have them

m91
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2008, 7:40 pm

Eggman wrote:
m91 wrote:

A lot of medical advances are indeed unnatural, but they at least have a positive impact. This particular event has a negative impact on the children, as the chances are that the parents will die before the child becomes an adult.

I guess you could say it has a positive impact on the parents due to the fact that they have a child. But then it comes down to a person's gain at another's suffering.

As for someone who said that the government has no right to tell us not to reproduce, they never made an attempt to stop us reproducing naturally. But when people are reproducing artificially at an age which they are not suitable to be parents that's a different story. At the age of 72 as this mother is, people are unable to reproduce naturally because they are not suitable to be parents.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:

Quote:

Why is it illegal? to stop people from aborting based on the sex of the child? What about people who aren't going to abort? what if *they* want to find out? That is unfair.[/quote]

well places like that it will mean life or death for the child

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 12:22 am

I think it was too much of a risk--too much risk of losing the babies or ending up dead herself--to be ethical.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:32 am

m91 wrote:
Eggman wrote:
m91 wrote:

A lot of medical advances are indeed unnatural, but they at least have a positive impact. This particular event has a negative impact on the children, as the chances are that the parents will die before the child becomes an adult.

I guess you could say it has a positive impact on the parents due to the fact that they have a child. But then it comes down to a person's gain at another's suffering.

As for someone who said that the government has no right to tell us not to reproduce, they never made an attempt to stop us reproducing naturally. But when people are reproducing artificially at an age which they are not suitable to be parents that's a different story. At the age of 72 as this mother is, people are unable to reproduce naturally because they are not suitable to be parents.

Could live to their 1003...
a 25 year old womwn may die in child birth

Ment 100

Last edited by Eggman on 13 Dec 2008, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:06 am

eeeeeeeek.