Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

andantespianato
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2008, 9:41 pm

I didnt think I was bullied in school, not that I noticed anyway. However, when my sisters school sent information home to everyone about bullying I was suprised to find things listed there as bullying that I had experienced while in school but had never considered to be bullying. I was pretty suprised that it was considered bullying, since I always associated that with name calling and physical violence and such.
Has anything like that happened to anyone else here? Is that normal?

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

08 Dec 2008, 9:46 pm

Ya, I'm surprised I was bullied more than I thought.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

Which to me always begs the question: If you are ignorant of abuse, does that still mean you're still a victim of abuse?

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2008, 9:50 pm

A bit of both for me, when it comes to girls I knew I was being bullied (exclusion, snide comments)

When It came to being bullied when it came to guys I never did. Possibly because I grew up with two boyss who treated me like one of the boys, so when other boys said the sort of things that are likely to upset "girls" it didn't register since I heard it good naturedly from my friends (plus as I got to understand it more I knew how to handle guys, it was just your standard alpha male trying to get the lay of the land find out my position in the rung sort of thing. I'm much more suited to dealing with a alpha male than I am a so called Alpha female, and I'm a girl, can't understand my own gender, yet understand the other gender!)

Also I got called really weird things that didn't make sense.

Paki-Not that it matters to me, but I'm white and British (well Irish/British) as are my parents and their parents and I'm pretty sure so were theres.

Hot potatoes gone cold-??Huh

etc.

To this day I don't understand them. How can I be insulted or upset if I don't understand what people are calling me?

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 9:50 pm

Its difficult to identify a disfunctional situation as abnormal if that's the only reality you've even known.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 9:52 pm

macushla wrote:
Its difficult to identify a disfunctional situation as abnormal if that's the only reality you've even known.

That also asks you if things considered 'dysfunctional' are dysfunctional. Anyway people can break free from it because they hate it naturally of whatnot..

08 Dec 2008, 9:56 pm

I remember saying on here my boyfriend was never bullied but he was ignored instead. Well it turns out he was to bullied. He was telling me what kids said to him and I said "I thought you were never bullied" and he said "I wasn't" and I said "yes you were, you're telling me now." and he said "I wasn't, I was teased."
So i asked him what does bullying mean and he said "Getting beat up."

I told him teasing is bullying, it's part of it. There are different levels of bullying, different types of it and I told them what they were.

Was I bullied in high school or middle school? That I am not sure but I still say I wasn't.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 9:59 pm

andantespianato wrote:
I didnt think I was bullied in school, not that I noticed anyway. However, when my sisters school sent information home to everyone about bullying I was suprised to find things listed there as bullying that I had experienced while in school but had never considered to be bullying. I was pretty suprised that it was considered bullying, since I always associated that with name calling and physical violence and such.
Has anything like that happened to anyone else here? Is that normal?

What kinds of things are on the list?

Here are the things that happened to me:

In my autograph book (remember those?), a boy in my class freshman year wrote: "To a very unlikeable kid and a teacher's best friend." He was a "popular" kid, so I figured he wasn't the only one who thought that. I was very innocent, and had no idea why he would say something like that, but it hurt.

Throughout high school people talked to me very snidely and sarcastically, with lots of put-downs, occasionally with sexual innuendo, which confused me terribly. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I just thought I *was* wrong.

There was always the exclusion, but it never seemed particularly conscious. I was just on a different planet even from the weirder kids. The way I managed to make it to their planet was to drink myself silly with them every weekend.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:10 pm

Quote:
What kinds of things are on the list?

Yes, I would also like to know what kinds of things are on the list.

I was hit occasionally and teased when I was in public school, but I never really considered it bullying.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:11 pm

I was bullied mostly in grade 6 to 9, by grade 10 most of it stopped. I sure knew I was being bullied but didn't stand up for myself.

andantespianato

08 Dec 2008, 10:25 pm

I dont think I could find the list she got right now but here are some websites that have more or less the same information....

--- http://stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/index.a ... bullyingis
--- http://www.pacer.org/bullying/resources/whatbullyingis
--- http://www.pacer.org/bullying/mhs/index.asp

On the third one click 'bullying 101', but make sure your browser allows pop-ups first.

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm

Last year, I found out that I was being picked on without realizing it. I hate that. -Power Girl

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 11:10 pm

stopbullyingnow wrote:
Punching, shoving and other acts that hurt people physically
Spreading bad rumors about people
Keeping certain people out of a "group"
Teasing people in a mean way
Getting certain people to "gang up" on others
Sending mean text, e-mail, or instant messages
Posting nasty pictures or messages about others in blogs or on Web sites
Using someone else's user name to spread rumors or lies about someone

pacer wrote:
Bullying is intentional. The target does not knowingly provoke the bully and may have made it clear that the behavior is unwelcome.
The behavior is often repetitive. Bullying generally is carried out repeatedly over time. It can sometimes be a single incident.
The incident involves hurtful acts, words, or other behavior. Bullying is an oppressive or negative act intended to hurt someone else.
The act is committed by one or more people against another. Bullying can be done by a single person or by a group.
There is a real or perceived imbalance of power. A child without power cannot bully. Power can be defined as either physical strength, social status, or intimidating behavior.

I do not belive that exclusion is bullying. With that kind of logic every single person has been bullied. And you know what they say: If everyone is special, no one is.

To3To3

08 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

Heck yeah it's happened to me. It took me until years after to finally realize it all on my own. I am still bullied in high school.

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2008, 11:22 pm

I experienced daily severe verbal harassment over a bookbag, my speech impairment, and over a certain movie starting from the 7th grade through the 9th grade. School administration did absolutely nothing but "ignore it" for those years because the entire school body (the students) was part of it.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

Jkid wrote:
School administration did absolutely nothing but "ignore it" for those years because the entire school body (the students) was part of it.

Do you hear that?

The waaaambulance is coming.

Seriously. the whole school was in on your torment?
I don't believe a word of it for a second.