Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 2:21 pm

outlier wrote:
^ I've sung and performed on stage before (when younger), and with severe social anxiety. :)

Me too, though I did mostly dancing. Dancing was the easiest way for me to "speak". Also, acting was no problem for me because you always follow a text; you don´t need to use "instinct" to interact.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 2:57 pm

^ Did you ever experience performance anxiety in your career?

I would love to perform things again. Dance, acting, whatever :) , but am not healthy enough now. Watching dancing (and certain acting performances) can be just as amazing for me though.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 3:37 pm

outlier wrote:

No, not really. I was sometimes nervous before a big role, but as soon as I stepped onstage, I felt as if I had stepped into another realm.

Of course, with the kind of performing I did I didn´t "see" the audience. I couldn´t tell if they were looking at me, the audience was dark. One huge problem I have in daily life is eye contact from many different people, or having groups of people look at me. This is why speech making, or talking to large groups of people who are visible is out of the question!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 5:35 pm

Morgana wrote:
outlier wrote:

No, not really. I was sometimes nervous before a big role, but as soon as I stepped onstage, I felt as if I had stepped into another realm.

Of course, with the kind of performing I did I didn´t "see" the audience. I couldn´t tell if they were looking at me, the audience was dark. One huge problem I have in daily life is eye contact from many different people, or having groups of people look at me. This is why speech making, or talking to large groups of people who are visible is out of the question!

On stage by myself I am very muddled and confused...I need somebody up there to back me up or else I am lost...I was heavily critiqued by my old band for not interacting very well with the audience and for always performing with my eyes closed.

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2009, 12:18 pm

OutlawSteph wrote:
I've never been dx'ed with a voice disorder but I think have a stereotypical "child like" voice. It does concern me because of the fact that it's not what you say but how you say it. I also have prosody and volume issues that aren't extremely noticeable but more subtle. Why is this a feature of AS in women?

It's hard to be taken seriously sometimes. I've been told (in my 30s) to have my mother call back while I was taking to a real estate agent. My last boss told me she thought of me as "one of the kids".

Is there any scientific research to confirm this issue or explain why?

:?

One of the signs of an autism-spectrum disorder is an unmodulated voice -- loud and flat for instance, like a PA announcement of bus schedules rather than a conversational tone, or can't stop mumbling. My problem for years was that people couldn't hear me, even when I thought I was bellowing like a moose. I think it's a sensory issue -- every sound is so very loud to me. Practicing with a tape recorder has helped.

Cintakmarka

18 Dec 2016, 6:52 pm

I'm very often though of as a teen boy around age 15.
My voice isn't too female sounding. Plus I'm 5'1 tall.
Adds to others confusion about my age, and gender.