Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 6:35 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have a sorta "immature" sounding voice for a 33 year old...I have thought that mybe it was kinda related to my being on the spectrum...
My voice actually gets complimented alot. i am glad I don't talk like other people...alot of voices get on my nerves. I speak in a voice that I can tolerate hearing...
Telemarketers ask to speak to my mom all the time...I think it is funny...

I like your stuff, and don't worry about what anyone else says.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 12:59 am

OutlawSteph wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have a sorta "immature" sounding voice for a 33 year old.

I saw your websites and think you're acting like a freak on purpose.

:? Well you are wrong. I am just being myself. I always act like that. I do not perceive myself as acting like a freak. I am rather offended by you.

If I were truely acting that way on purpose, then how would it be that my personality is consistanly the same in all of my videos..over the course of over a year?

What is is about me that makes you think I am pretending to be who I am?

Sorry...I have been having a bad day, and I am naturally very sensitive..and this just about did me in... :(

OutlawSteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2008, 12:19 pm

What's going on here is "above my pay grade" so I won't comment and no offense was intended.

Just be aware that if you answer someone's thread which is a serious question regarding professional women with odd pictures and videos you will be perceived as trolling. I'm sure there is a more appropriate place in this forum for joking around, but think it was apparent that this thread is not it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:53 pm

How am I trolling? I legitimately responded to a thead about "voice issues"...I am a female who is on the spectrum and I have an unsusal voice that is very childlike. I talk-sing..it helps me verbalise...Singing comes more naturally to me than talking.
I can flatten it out a bit when I have to deal with people on the phone...but I am always in danger of stammering and going in circles...and getting totally lost when trying to articulate.

You have to understand that some people on this board are very sensitive (myself included), and i felt like your accusation was a direct attack.

I also don't understand what you are referring to when you say "professional women"

I happen to be a business owner, and I helped run a venue for several years...I have also been a 'professional" singer for more than half my life.

I was not joking around.

I will try to stop feeling offended, because i logicly know that it is best to let thngs go...but I do sorta have a mind like a hampster wheel at times and I am hypersensitive to criticism.

There are people on this board who are all different and have widely varying levels of "functionality" and maturity...

i don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you....and I tend not to speak with anything but sincerity in my posts.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2008, 2:47 pm

I tend to have a childlike voice, it gets worse half the time when I'm nervous (the other half of the time I get hyper polite I talk like a butler or something).

The only time I come of serious is when I'm debating something I'm seriously angry about, but even then to my ears it sound child like.

I have a cleft palate though (and was born with a split tongue) so whether that a result of that, or AS I couldn't tell you.

OutlawSteph

12 Dec 2008, 5:57 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:

i don't want to get off on the wrong foot with you....and I tend not to speak with anything but sincerity in my posts.

Fair enough.. no worries. 8)

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2008, 3:22 am

My first voice acting role was a school project where we did a Reading Rainbow-style read of Stellaluna. The girl who got the title role was a year older than me (we were all college students, mind you) who sounded like a five-year-old. But it was her natural voice, and it worked to her distinct advantage. (Also I doubt she was autistic but you never know)

If you're unhappy with your voice, perhaps you could look at change-your-voice tutorials. I know there's some on YouTube...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:42 am

I have tried to do some voice-acting...based on encouragement I received to do so.

i passed a preliminary audition for a company that does English dubbings of Japanime cartoons, but when I did the call-backs I was totally rotten and wooden..my part was really tiny...I was auditioning to be the voice of one of a group of school girls, and i had trouble interjecting this tiny phrase in the context of all these other Japanese voices that were talking....I wish they had been willing to work with me a little more, but they never called me again.

Another time, I was called by some people who knew me and asked to do the voice for an elf on a video game....If it had been a "little cute elf", i think i woulda done great, but it was for the role of a magical "Middle Earth" style elf, and it needed a more mature sounding voice that I couldn't fake.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 2:18 pm

I am currently taking voice classes, to fix some problems I have with speaking. I have no idea how common these issues are in autistic people vs other people.

I have a naturally high voice, and tend to talk in the very bottom of my range, which has caused problems. I think this is common for small people. (Lyric or coloratura soprano)

I tend to be fearful/tense when I'm talking to others, and as a result I tend to talk from a clenched throat rather than from my diaphragm (which I do breathe from when I'm alone) and this makes my voice gravelly.

My voice does not carry (again, not talking from diaphragm).

I tend to talk too quickly, and stumble over pronunciation. My voice teacher has me corking (putting wine cork between teeth and pronouncing things slowly and exaggeratedly) to work my articulation muscles into better shape.

I think the last one is a bad habit I picked up from my mother (my sisters and I all sound like her on the phone, or at least we used to). Some of the rest may be due to fearfulness around others due to difficulty participating in conversations, which is autism-related. Some may be due to fearfulness due to abuse not related to being on the spectrum. I don't know.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:50 am

Anemone wrote:
I tend to be fearful/tense when I'm talking to others, and as a result I tend to talk from a clenched throat rather than from my diaphragm (which I do breathe from when I'm alone) and this makes my voice gravelly.

My voice does not carry (again, not talking from diaphragm).

I tend to talk too quickly, and stumble over pronunciation.

Wow me too. I guess I should see a speech pathologist.

Sometimes I put on an english accent, which I have no control over when I use it. When I really have to explain something I put on this accent just to get the words out.
I can copy someone's accent unintentionally when I hang around them a lot.
Other times I have the same accent as those around me, a lower class derelict accent, though I work really hard to say words properly. People here say words like 'I seen you' whereas I would say 'I saw you.'
My voice is deep and I hate having a deep voice and being a girl.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 7:28 am

Samara wrote:
^So what if she is and so what if she isnt. It's got nothing to do with you. I think she's beautiful and atleast she doesnt act like a b***h!

QFT. Majorly.

Metta.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:27 am

Quote:
OutlawSteph wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have a sorta "immature" sounding voice for a 33 year old.

I saw your websites and think you're acting like a freak on purpose.

Outlaw Steph...this is just offensive. we are here to be ourselves. all of us.
I am really sorry, but i find this kind of thing when stated, just horrible.
could you please refrain?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:31 am

I have quite a capacity for mimicry> i can copy voices to a tee.it is rather spooky.
I am a motor mouth aspie on my special interests and have no problem talking. I tend towards verbosity and flourishes at times, and if people have a problem with it? well...... so be it..... Other times i cannot talk - when i am in a social group of too many people and i cannot swing it around to my special interest (which i do unconsciously and with fervour.)

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:55 pm

millie wrote:
I have quite a capacity for mimicry> i can copy voices to a tee.it is rather spooky.
I am a motor mouth aspie on my special interests and have no problem talking. I tend towards verbosity and flourishes at times, and if people have a problem with it? well...... so be it..... Other times i cannot talk - when i am in a social group of too many people and i cannot swing it around to my special interest (which i do unconsciously and with fervour.)

Hey, cool! You described me perfectly....

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:22 pm

yes. i always relate to you morgana. and to neshamaruach. 8O

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:12 pm

My voice is this way too, but mainly in public or on the phone. At home I have a different voice. I think it is a dominance thing, that to avoid aggression, which would trigger fear and anxiety, we use a meeker, smaller voice.

Even at home though, my voice is not loud. It sounds all fuzzy around the edges, bleh.