Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

azureflames
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2008, 12:08 am

I like to know your opnion on the Confederate Flag. Do you think it's a symbol of the south/southern pride or it's racist symbol against blacks?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 12:54 am

It's a symbol of souther "pride"- prior to the attempted cessation of the southern states from the Union. It has over-tones of black suppression because the south (among other things) fought against the liberation of the blacks.

*But then so did Lincoln except he bartered the freedom of slaves and their participation in American wars for their freedom. Lest we forget it was something like 60 years AFTER the confederate war that the slaves were granted equal(ish) rights.

I see it as an antiquated, oft-used symbol of defiance. Nothing else.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:14 am

Meh...I know that many people of color know that at the time it represented slavery. I can see why it would probably inflame them. Really I see it as a flag that wanted to be seperate from the rest of the U.S. but yeah..they had free laber which made it easier for some folk at the time to profit off their goods.

Today I view it depending on the person. Some people use it all in good humor as just being proud of their southern heritage or being part of the south. There are some people to this day that use it as a means of hatred whether it be slavery or yanks. I don't usually take the yank thing seriously though since part of my state was once part of the south.

Anyway, there are going to be some people that really view it with reverence whether it be with dislike or patriotism hehe. Then there's people like me who don't take it as seriously. I don't know...maybe I should. I just don't see the point in getting all worked up unless that person is causing harm to another person. I think we are entitled to our own freedoms but with precaution.

But it's a good question because the rebel flag has always put confusion in me whenever I see it. Is it bad or racist? I don't know because people have used other meanings behind it beside the ole' racist stereotype.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:28 am

I see it as a symbol of rebellion, but nothing negative.

Those who know, don't speak.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 2:27 am

jawbrodt wrote:
I see it as a symbol of rebellion, but nothing negative.

I used to see it this way as well until I moved to South Carolina, where I came to realise that no matter how many people say otherwise, it's really nothing more than something for racists and League Of The South types to rally behind. Whether this was the case 50 or 60 years ago, I have no idea, but it certainly is the reality today.

Then again, you have to take geography and history into account. In northern states, and other parts of the world, the confederate flag doesn't have the same meaning to it as it does in the southern USA, especially South Carolina, which was the first of the southern states to secede from the USA.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 2:48 am

^True. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 2:53 am

fogman aka mosez(?) wrote:
Then again, you have to take geography and history into account. In northern states, and other parts of the world, the confederate flag doesn't have the same meaning to it as it does in the southern USA, especially South Carolina, which was the first of the southern states to try to secede from the USA.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 11:23 pm

Which one? there were 5 all told. What they're flying is the wrong version of the Confederate battle flag (the real one was square, the 3x5 aspect ratio is the racist one).

still, there's no good way to gloss it over, I suppose. Some reenactors (tried that once, muskets can kick!...;) get a bit steamed, because it wasn't the only 'reason' for the war. Strangely enough, no one really 'wants' to be on the Union side; however most of them have one uniform of each.

you can't escape your history, but you should understand it.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 12:01 am

'Round here it seems to mean nothing more than southern pride. I suppose, though, it always depends on the person.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 12:58 am

With many of the schmucks I went to school with, I would have to comment that it would have to be a symbol of racism. Sure in some instances, I wouldn't doubt that it could symbolize 'southern pride', but I ask myself, what is that anyway? What is the point of holding on to southern values that should of teetered away?

You lost the war, hill-billy; time to redden the rest of your back, not just your neck. 8)

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 2:10 am

azureflames wrote:
I like to know your opnion on the Confederate Flag. Do you think it's a symbol of the south/southern pride or it's racist symbol against blacks?

I place the confederate flag next to the Nazi flag. Any positive meaning it may have stood for has been largely overshadowed by the negative connotations associated with it.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 9:04 am

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
fogman aka mosez(?) wrote:
Then again, you have to take geography and history into account. In northern states, and other parts of the world, the confederate flag doesn't have the same meaning to it as it does in the southern USA, especially South Carolina, which was the first of the southern states to try to secede from the USA.

Try to? They did. There was a whole separate nation for ages. They just lost the war to stay separate.

I have one on my wall. Its an attractive looking flag, better looking than the Northern one to my mind. Its there for aesthetic reasons, and because one cant help but root for the underdog really.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 9:48 am

The one person I know who uses it is an unabashed racist.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:12 pm

It's a symbol of half of the country trying to secede and failing miserably. Strangely enough, Southern separatist groups (yes, they still exist) use it as a symbol. Why would they use a symbol of their predecessors' epic failure? I have no idea.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:19 pm

Delirium wrote:
It's a symbol of half of the country trying to secede and failing miserably. Strangely enough, Southern separatist groups (yes, they still exist) use it as a symbol. Why would they use a symbol of their predecessors' epic failure? I have no idea.

Four years is quite a long time. Its not much of an epic fail. And its not as if they lost through poor tactics or anything.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

Southern pride? They have nothing to be proud of.