History Channel No Longer Shows History Stuff. Why?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 5:35 pm

Actually the programs they have are history related like UFO Hunters is more like historical analysts to solve history cases. The Presidents was a show they had along with the States. They also have history around different Presidents like Jackson and Lincoln. The WWII Programs are not bias towards American Efforts. Its more general towards the events that happened during the war.
Rose, you are referring the term "History" as what History is. However, the History Channel still has history programs on there but they do not look like that but they are history related.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 7:38 pm

prillix wrote:
SilverStar wrote:
This kinda reminds me how MTV used to play music. :D It must be a ratings thing I guess.

I was just gonna say that. Don't worry, eventually they will come out with History 2, then a few years later after that's been compromised, History 3

They already have something analogous to "History 2", the digital cable channel History International, which used to feature history programming from around the world, but is now all intents and purposes "History 2".

If you wait in the early morning on History Channel, you can find shows like "The Most" (Thursday mornings at 7) and "History's Lost & Found" (Sunday mornings at 6). But yes, "Ice Road Truckers" is NOT History. It is reality programming. However, the very first original production of History Channel was "Modern Marvels" (which debuted on January 1, 1995, a few hours after the network itself began) isn't very "history" related itself. And for the longest time the channel merely showed stuff that had either Hitler, the Titanic or The Civil War (remember those jokes).

Even though it's not necessarily "history", I thoroughly enjoy "The Universe".

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

i'll start to get really worried when turner classic movies starts playing a walk to remember or ashton kutcher romantic comedies.
turner classic movies(tcm) is a channel that exclusively plays classic type movies, commercial free. one of the few channels i watch on tv right now.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 12:55 am

Michael_Stuart wrote:

I suppose the next thing to die will be the Sci-Fi channel. May God help us all.

IMO Sci-Fi channel has already died an ugly death. They might as well rename it the Stargate channel because that's about all the show other than the occasional B-movie no one else would dare show. I miss the old days of Sci-Fi channel with Sliders and Nowhere Man. They also used to show short films Ray Bradbury had produced. Not anymore! As must as I love the LOST show its odd to me that they now plays their re-runs. I don't consider it sci-fi.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 1:02 am

You're not kidding Tracker! National Geo channel is nothing but Dog Whisperer almost 24/7. Apparently they can't afford to make any new shows and they don't understand not everyone is in love with dogs.

I do think its weird that the other channels seem to suddenly be in a UFO competition with the History channel. Just a few weeks ago I caught UFO shows on History, TLC and Travel channel all on the same night! Um why was it on the Travel channel?? I also saw a Bigfoot show a few months ago on Travel.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:11 am

Ticker wrote:
Michael_Stuart wrote:

I suppose the next thing to die will be the Sci-Fi channel. May God help us all.

IMO Sci-Fi channel has already died an ugly death. They might as well rename it the Stargate channel because that's about all the show other than the occasional B-movie no one else would dare show.

QFT

When I was a teenager, Sci-Fi channel had the most kick-ass Friday line-up. Now it seems like it is always Stargate and "reality" TV shows. At least we still have Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 6:40 pm

I'm slowly dying of boredom. :wall: The History channel has been off ever since I woke up this morning and turned on the tv. I thought maybe its because we got snow, but then looked outside and there was only 3 inches of snow. I dunno maybe ice brought down a cable line? Is anyone else not getting History channel today (Sunday)?

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 8:57 pm

Ticker wrote:
You're not kidding Tracker! National Geo channel is nothing but Dog Whisperer almost 24/7. Apparently they can't afford to make any new shows and they don't understand not everyone is in love with dogs.

When did it start showing the Dog Wisperer 24/7? Have you actually seen their tv schedule?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/tv-schedule

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:00 pm

Jkid wrote:
Ticker wrote:

When did it start showing the Dog Wisperer 24/7? Have you actually seen their tv schedule?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/tv-schedule

I believe it was on Thanksgiving day that Dog Whisperer was on the whole damn day. There was one day recently it was. And it seems every time I turn the channel on the damn show is on every single week day and multiple times on Saturdays. Its usually 7 or 8 PM before anything good is shown on it anymore and most of the time its reruns now. One hour once a week is ENOUGH. I don't care to see someone's genetically inferior puppy mill dog biting its owners hand off every single day of the week. I can't believe people let a mutt control their lives like that.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:48 pm

Well, there was Manzikert, Islandwana, Dien Bien Phu, Pearl Harbor, Chosin Reservoir and a few other battles where the white guys came in 2nd...;)

I haven't been able to see history for a year or more, but that does sound sad. I think part of it was the fact that prior to WWI, there wasn't any film to do. I think I saw the beginning of the end there when they were showing miniseries about the Zulus, etc.

Considering the way things are going today, I hope there is a History channel to come back to.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 3:10 am

Ticker wrote:
Michael_Stuart wrote:

IMO Sci-Fi channel has already died an ugly death. They might as well rename it the Stargate channel because that's about all the show other than the occasional B-movie no one else would dare show. I miss the old days of Sci-Fi channel with Sliders and Nowhere Man. They also used to show short films Ray Bradbury had produced. Not anymore! As must as I love the LOST show its odd to me that they now plays their re-runs. I don't consider it sci-fi.

I would rename the Sci-Fi channel that the B Movie Channel. Although I do love Eureka and Battle Star Galatica. One thing that does bother me is that it doesn't have Star Trek.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2008, 1:40 am

Ticker wrote:
Michael_Stuart wrote:

I stopped watching Sci-Fi channel when they stopped showing MST3K. This is what happens when Viacom controls some cable stations...they quickly turn to s**t. The same thing happened with MTV, of course the only shows I watched were the Real World, Road Rules, Beavis and Butthead, Daria, the Brothers Grunt, and My Super Sweet Sixteen. I also watched Laguna Beach.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 8:06 pm

pakled wrote:
Well, there was Manzikert, Islandwana, Dien Bien Phu, Pearl Harbor, Chosin Reservoir and a few other battles where the white guys came in 2nd...;)

I wouldn't consider the whities coming in 2nd on Pearl Harbor because they retaliated back by dropping the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. I would suspect more darkies got killed, disfigured or radiation poisoning more than the number of whities killed at the Harbor. The other battles you mention I have not heard of. Perhaps we are not suppose to hear tell of the battles the whities don't reign supreme in.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm

The Hitler Channel, I mean History Channel doesn't show history related programs no more? Every time I turn it on, there is something on about the Nazi's or Hitler

hotaru
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Dec 2008, 11:51 pm

I think the same can be said for Speed Channel. They used to show all sorts of racing. Now (at least during the regular racing season), they glop it up with NASCAR. I'm talking every practice session (unless it's during ESPNs run with Sprint Cup, in case ESPN carries final practice aka 'Happy Hour'), qualifying, filler shows between sessions, and then on Friday nights where there's no truck series race, they replay what was on earlier.

However, their Formula One and Rolex Sports Car coverage is quite good.

Also a fan of- The X Files, Sailor Moon and the Vancouver Canucks

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 8:54 pm

sigh...

Ok, WWII was admittedly a very dark time in humanity's past. I would single us out for the lion's share of the blame for it though. I could find millions of Chinese who would bring up the Rape of Nanking, millions more Koreans who object to 'comfort women' (drafted as prostitutes for the Japanese Army), or even diplomats who were subjected (thankfully, unsuccessfully) to biological warefare.

They must be teaching this stuff somewhere; that it would have been better for the US to forego the bomb and spend an additional 2 years losing a million dead, and who knows how many million Japanese dead, the partition of Japan into North and South Japan (like Korea), and a potential conventional war with Russia once our forces met. Better dead conventionally than through nukes, no matter what the number.

And perhaps because we did see the horror of the bomb, we've been smart enough not to use it again.