Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you appear normal to the rest of the world?
Yes 34%  34%  [ 36 ]
No 22%  22%  [ 23 ]
Sometimes 44%  44%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 105

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:30 am

Yes. But then they hear me talk... :lol:

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 3:13 pm

Up until recently, I thought I was faking it rather well and appearing normal to the rest of the world. Now I realize that I don't. Partly, it's that I dress differently than most people, in a way that connects me with my culture and my ancestors. But mostly, it's like I'm on a different continuum most of the time, and most people sense that (having social intuition, and all).

I also totally relate to Elderwanda's experience of feeling invisible. That's been going on for most of my life. I'm not sure what it's about. My working theory is that I'm not in synch with most people, and they don't want to work to get in synch with me, so they generally turn to my husband and address him. When I try to get in synch with people, it's pretty much a failure, because I'm just trying to mimic people and they can tell that too.

It's kind of humbling to realize I haven't been faking it nearly as well as I thought I was, but on the other hand, I can now turn my attention to other more, um, fascinating topics, which I'd be really happy to talk your ear off about if you gave me half a chance, but now that you've been warned, you won't, but, anyway, it's okay, since I'm not the only person around here with that particular personality trait. :)

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2008, 4:17 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
But mostly, it's like I'm on a different continuum most of the time, and most people sense that (having social intuition, and all).

If you can sense that they can sense you are different, doesn't that mean you also have social intuition? :P

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 4:21 pm

prillix wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
But mostly, it's like I'm on a different continuum most of the time, and most people sense that (having social intuition, and all).

If you can sense that they can sense you are different, doesn't that mean you also have social intuition? :P

I'm not sensing it. I have a theory. An intellectual theory. Like many of my theories, it could be right and it could be wrong. I will have to check it with some trustworthy NTs for verification... :)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:24 pm

I do, but mainly because I'm very social and I have excellent style.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2008, 12:24 am

Other people's first impression of me is generally that I'm relatively normal, since the way I look and dress is normal. They think I'm just very shy and very nerdy.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:21 am

you need a dont care for your poll

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 9:20 am

I would have thought I did appear fairly normal, but given the way people react to me, I quite obviously don't. Complete strangers seem to feel like they have a right to shout abuse at me in the street or giggle/stare at me as I walk past (I'm not being paranoid, it happens). I look around me and there are plenty of people who are dressed no better than me, or are no better looking than me, and who would seem to be equally ripe targets for an NT who was so inclined, but they are ignored, and it's me who's singled out every time. I can only presume that there's something about my face or my body language that says 'odd'.

A thing also happens where people will come up to me and begin to address me normally, but as soon as I begin to reply, their whole attitude changes before my eyes, and they begin talking down to me, as if I come over as mentally deficient and they think, "Oh - I'd better simplify things here!" I think I confuse people a great deal, because my looks and general style of speech say 'ret*d' to them, but then I'll begin to talk about a topic that is quite often way over their heads.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 9:27 am

I don't think I appear complately normal since I get in trouble with security guards everywhere. I must have a terrorist face or something :roll:

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 10:13 am

no. most boys usually don't wear as much makeup/pink clothing as i do XD

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2008, 10:50 am

I voted "sometimes" for this reason. To strangers, I get by. But with people who know me, they think of me as eccentric---they have told me this. My family thinks of me as eccentric.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 1:24 pm

Yes and no. It depends on the situation and my stress level. Most of the time I think I seem like a weird NT.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:35 pm

I've often appeared like a good "normal" student when working alone.

However, if you put me in an unfamiliar, hyper-social situation where I don't know what the protocol is, it's noticeable.

It's painfully noticeable in a cocktail party type setting or in a team-work group. There are often misunderstandings and I often feel left out and ignored.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Dec 2008, 2:40 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
It's painfully noticeable in a cocktail party type setting or in a team-work group. There are often misunderstandings and I often feel left out and ignored.

Actually that's my main problem too. If I'm at a party with a lot of people, I feel horribly ignored, and it's overwhelming for me. I usually walk around and try to mingle for a little while, then get depressed and kind of slump off to a corner for the rest of the night.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 7:13 pm

NOOOO!

;P

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:54 am

Fidget wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:

Actually that's my main problem too. If I'm at a party with a lot of people, I feel horribly ignored, and it's overwhelming for me. I usually walk around and try to mingle for a little while, then get depressed and kind of slump off to a corner for the rest of the night.

Yes. Also, I can never quite figure out what people are talking about. I can’t pick up any specific conversation so all I hear is a room filled with the noise of talking, like a bunch of quacking ducks. Then when I finally gather the energy to insert myself into a group I realize that they’re talking about stuff I haven’t the slightest interest in. I also realize I look like a weirdo for just standing there among the group while saying nothing. Despair quickly sets in and I go sit in the corner.

If notice if I stay really late most of the people will be gone and the few left will be completely hammered. Usually I’m just sober enough to know that I’m drunk enough that if I attempt to open my mouth something stupid will probably come out. So I just sit back and enjoy the comedy. Listening to drunk people talk when you’re slightly drunk is kind of entertaining.