Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 9:40 pm

On one of my autism yahoo groups alot of people there said that they/their kids have colder hands in the winter time. I know this is especcially true with me as whenever I am typing something out or playing a game or whatever in the winter time my hands will be frozen within a minute (yet I still can go outside in shorts :-/.) Anyone else have this condition (I forget what they called it but they did have a term for it.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 10:18 pm

Yeah my hands generally seem to feel colder in the winter time but I don't know why.

Don't know the name, didn't even know it was a condition. :oops:

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 10:37 pm

I do - and my feet - sometimes it won't be any colder outside but I'll get white spots on my feet . . . I've heard the foot thing is sometimes symptomatic of lupus, but I haven't worked myself up enough to go to the Dr. to get that looked into . . .

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 11:15 pm

There cold because its cold outside.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 11:41 pm

I'm always warm everywhere.

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 1:54 am

It's called Syndrome de Raynaud in French, so I guess it must me Raynaud Syndrom in English.
I have cold hands most of the year, mot only in winter.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 2:36 am

Endersdragon wrote:
On one of my autism yahoo groups alot of people there said that they/their kids have colder hands in the winter time. I know this is especcially true with me as whenever I am typing something out or playing a game or whatever

My hands get cold when I'm doing a task that involves fine motor control/careful detail. When I played videogames, and now when I'm mouse-clicking or typing, writing or drawing, my fingers get numb & tingly. I figure it's poor circulation & bad posture, etc.-it's a hassle/discomfort more than a worry, for me. I get severely dry, cracked "winter-skin" around this time each year-but that's a separate issue.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 7:52 am

My hands aren't any colder in winter than summer other then the obvious little bit more due to the weather. But my hands are always freezing. Everyone who ever touches them comments on how cold my hands are.

Antigone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2005, 9:39 am

I think it has to do with poor circulation. My feet are always freezing. My husband won't let my feet near him at night. :lol:

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:38 am

During the winter, my hands and feet will NOT thaw out. I will come in after being outside for a few minutes, and my hands/feet will still be freezing, even after being inside for over an hour. Sometimes the only way I can get rid of it is to take a hot bath.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 11:01 am

I often have colder hands especially in the winter but sometime throughout the year. I have hypothyroidism which gives me a bit more intolerance to cold. Raynaud's Syndrome is a form of arthritis.

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2005, 3:21 pm

I have cold hands and feet as well. The temperature in my room is currently 70F, but my fingertips are cold. My toes are cold as well, even though I am wearing thick socks. Of course, being in an inactive state sitting at the PC doesn’t help.

There have been many times when I have been hiking in winter and my hands were so cold it was painful. Once I had to turn back even though I was wearing ski gloves. The temp was around 20F and I was really exerting myself on the hike, but my hands just would not warm up. Immediately upon exiting my truck, my hands started to chill. They never were even exposed to the open air! My core temp was very comfortable; it was just my hands that were affected. So now I use mini chemical hand warmers when I am in very cold weather. I tape them to my hands under my gloves and also I tape them to the tops of my feet just behind my toes. I won’t even go on a cold weather hike without them, for fear of getting frostbite.

From what I understand about Raynaud’s Syndrome, the symptoms come on as an attack. When exposed to cold, the capillaries in the extremities collapse, reducing circulation. It sounds similar to what happens to me in extreme cold. I'm not sure if Raynaud's causes persistent cold hands though...

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 3:36 pm

My hands are usually warm, even in the winter, unless I touch a cold object.

As for those of you who frequently have cold hands - I would say that it's probably poor circulation.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 3:51 pm

My hands and feet are almost always too cold, even during the summer. It's irritating...

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 6:37 pm

I'm sure it's poor circulation. Reynaud's is affected badly by caffeine and alcohol, and it does come in attacks.

I have freezing hands and feet, though sometimes they randomly get really hot and clammy - I much prefer them when they're cold because at leat then they're comfortable. I usually have a tinge of blue near the base of my fingernails, and when I get colder my hands (and any other exposed flesh except my face) turns purple ... with orange blotches! :D My fingertips are always colder than the rest of my fingers, which in turn are colder than my palms - I'm convinced it's poor circulation.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 7:51 pm

My hands and feet are cold all year round. They don't make me feel cold. They're just cold to touch.