Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:01 pm

outlier wrote:
The National Autistic Society in the UK is the only place I can find publishing guidelines for adults.

I found a very comprehensive document on service needs for adults (really shows up what we're not getting), which can apply to many countries, and read through it today:

http://www.nas.org.uk/content/1/c4/39/26/takeresp.pdf

Wow!
That's quite a find.
I'd recommended anyone on the spectrum to read that.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:15 pm

Ticker wrote:
garyww wrote:
I thank God almost every day that my parents didn't try to change or 'improve' me to make me seem a bit more 'normal'. Thankfully my mind has survived the years intact.

They can't really change us anyway. Just like there's never been a cure for Downs Syndrome there will never be a cure for Autism.

Rubbish.
Autism will be cured within the next 15 years.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:49 pm

MemberSix wrote:
Ticker wrote:
garyww wrote:
I thank God almost every day that my parents didn't try to change or 'improve' me to make me seem a bit more 'normal'. Thankfully my mind has survived the years intact.

They can't really change us anyway. Just like there's never been a cure for Downs Syndrome there will never be a cure for Autism.

Rubbish.

That's rubbish. They don't even admit the existence of adults and most will never receive a DX but are still breeding more little aspies . Especially since the females amongst us, who also carry the genes, seem to have less difficulty getting laid, thanks to the "open-mindedness" of horny males .

And cured of what ? A socially defined characteristic of what "normal" is...like not being gay or black ? The definition of "normal" will change before they can exterminate...I mean "cure" us all . Some of us will never be brain washed into believing that we have to become more NT to be valuable people and we are not the one's spending all day on utube, playing video games or mourning the lose of our ability to be NT . Self-loathing is the down fall of all oppressed minorities and the first battle we have to fight to win self definition and they can not cure the self defined because we know that difference does not equal defective.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:59 pm

krex wrote:
MemberSix wrote:
Ticker wrote:
garyww wrote:

Rubbish.

That's rubbish. They don't even admit the existence of adults and most will never receive a DX but are still breeding more little aspies . Especially since the females amongst us, who also carry the genes, seem to have less difficulty getting laid, thanks to the "open-mindedness" of horny males .

And cured of what ? A socially defined characteristic of what "normal" is...like not being gay or black ? The definition of "normal" will change before they can exterminate...I mean "cure" us all . Some of us will never be brain washed into believing that we have to become more NT to be valuable people and we are not the one's spending all day on utube, playing video games or mourning the lose of our ability to be NT . Self-loathing is the down fall of all oppressed minorities and the first battle we have to fight to win self definition and they can not cure the self defined because we know that difference does not equal defective.

You see it as self-loathing because you (seemingly genuinely) appear to regard your Autism as making you who you are.

I don't loathe myself - indeed, I have rather a soft spot for me ... but I DO loathe what Asperger's has done and continues to do to my life.

I regard my AS as obscuring, detracting from and impairing my personality and capabilities - which is why I want rid of it.

I am not my affliction - just as schizophrenics are not their schizophrenia.

I hope you can draw a litte enlightenment from that.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:26 pm

MemberSix wrote:
You see it as self-loathing because you (seemingly genuinely) appear to regard your Autism as making you who you are.
No... just as a part of who we are... but an integral part.

MemberSix wrote:
I don't loathe myself - indeed, I have rather a soft spot for me ... but I DO loathe what Asperger's has done and continues to do to my life.
This is somewhat like those people who wish for elective amputations. I have sympathy for them, but I do not wish to suffer from their disorder. I.e. I feel it is a disorder for you to loathe part of you.

MemberSix wrote:
I regard my AS as obscuring, detracting from and impairing my personality and capabilities - which is why I want rid of it.
What will happen when you "cure" your AS, and discover you have lost your personality and capabilities? Will you ask for it back?

MemberSix wrote:
I am not my affliction - just as schizophrenics are not their schizophrenia.
I have no affliction.

MemberSix wrote:
I hope you can draw a litte enlightenment from that.
I can see your problem, but I do not share that state of denial.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:27 pm

Actually, I don't think that inlightened me at all .

It did reafirm my theory that many people with AS think of it as an illness or defect to be cured that will then make their lives much easier . My opinion, and it is no more then that, is that you will never be able to untwine the parts of you that are AS from those that are NT . Nor will you be able to keep the gifts of AS if you try and get rid of the faulty bits. What might happen is that a labotomy might make you a happier but poorer functioning human and I believe that is the cure that those who are currently defing AS are seeing as the best out-come ....brave new world indeed .

I don't know you or how your AS effects you but I certainly know that I spent most of my life wishing I was dead . It wasn't easy being AS, especialy before anyone knew why I was different...(not that the majority of humans now understand or except what I know to be true after my own research ). I find the average human to be a rather intellectually incurious and unimaginative group as a "whole", though of course their are exceptions. The one thing I can say for all of them is that they are certainly less interested in my well being then I am, (self centered lout that I am :wink: ). So I have no intention of turning my brain over to their judgement on what is best for me .

Perhaps the difference is not in how hard we find it to be AS in the current environment but a belief that we can never change that environment to be one in which we can funtion to our optimal level AND keep our AS . I think it is possible and am working towards that goal. I could be wrong but I still find it a better alternative then trusting a group of scientist and psycholgist who I believe have made a mess of the world as it is...to decide what functions should be cured and at what cost . I don't share the same ethics, ideals or end goals and they have and so....they can't have my brain . If you want to hand yours over...well, it's your to do as you see fit . Hope you enjoy the Matrix.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:35 pm

krex wrote:

It did reafirm my theory that many people with AS think of it as an illness or defect to be cured that will then make their lives much easier . My opinion, and it is no more then that, is that you will never be able to untwine the parts of you that are AS from those that are NT . Nor will you be able to keep the gifts of AS if you try and get rid of the faulty bits. What might happen is that a labotomy might make you a happier but poorer functioning human and I believe that is the cure that those who are currently defing AS are seeing as the best out-come ....brave new world indeed .

I don't know you or how your AS effects you but I certainly know that I spent most of my life wishing I was dead . It wasn't easy being AS, especialy before anyone knew why I was different...(not that the majority of humans now understand or except what I know to be true after my own research ). I find the average human to be a rather intellectually incurious and unimaginative group as a "whole", though of course their are exceptions. The one thing I can say for all of them is that they are certainly less interested in my well being then I am, (self centered lout that I am :wink: ). So I have no intention of turning my brain over to their judgement on what is best for me .

Perhaps the difference is not in how hard we find it to be AS in the current environment but a belief that we can never change that environment to be one in which we can funtion to our optimal level AND keep our AS . I think it is possible and am working towards that goal. I could be wrong but I still find it a better alternative then trusting a group of scientist and psycholgist who I believe have made a mess of the world as it is...to decide what functions should be cured and at what cost . I don't share the same ethics, ideals or end goals and they have and so....they can't have my brain . If you want to hand yours over...well, it's your to do as you see fit . Hope you enjoy the Matrix.

One day, you'll laugh at this post.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:44 pm

MemberSix wrote:
krex wrote:
Actually, I don't think that enlightened me at all .

It did reaffirm my theory that many people with AS think of it as an illness or defect to be cured that will then make their lives much easier . My opinion, and it is no more then that, is that you will never be able to untwine the parts of you that are AS from those that are NT . Nor will you be able to keep the gifts of AS if you try and get rid of the faulty bits. What might happen is that a lobotomy might make you a happier but poorer functioning human and I believe that is the cure that those who are currently defing AS are seeing as the best out-come ....brave new world indeed .

I don't know you or how your AS effects you but I certainly know that I spent most of my life wishing I was dead . It wasn't easy being AS, especially before anyone knew why I was different...(not that the majority of humans now understand or except what I know to be true after my own research ). I find the average human to be a rather intellectually incurious and unimaginative group as a "whole", though of course their are exceptions. The one thing I can say for all of them is that they are certainly less interested in my well being then I am, (self centered lout that I am :wink: ). So I have no intention of turning my brain over to their judgement on what is best for me .

Perhaps the difference is not in how hard we find it to be AS in the current environment but a belief that we can never change that environment to be one in which we can function to our optimal level AND keep our AS . I think it is possible and am working towards that goal. I could be wrong but I still find it a better alternative then trusting a group of scientist and psychologist who I believe have made a mess of the world as it is...to decide what functions should be cured and at what cost . I don't share the same ethics, ideals or end goals and they have and so....they can't have my brain . If you want to hand yours over...well, it's your to do as you see fit . Hope you enjoy the Matrix.

One day, you'll laugh at this post.

Actually, i read it over several times and it makes me laugh now...(I think I'm a very amusing person . )

I also know that I often find my past beliefs to be rather immature or just plain wrong . I assume that is a good thing, as it must mean I do develop and learn as I gather new information, rather then believe that just because I have a thought or belief it must always be right...(like our "great decider" who has made such a mess by not ever admitting he can be wrong ) .

I hope I never return to hating myself though, I didn't find it a very pleasant existence nor was I very productive focusing on what I could not do rather then what I could .

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:14 am

krex wrote:

Here, here,Good post . I defenitly agree with that one!

Firegirl531
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2008, 6:30 am

krex wrote:

::Applauds::

I think that because Aspergers is at the lower end of the spectrum; most NTs believe that as long as we see a counselor or something that we'll be fine.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:02 pm

Firegirl531 wrote:

::Applauds::

I think that because Aspergers is at the lower end of the spectrum; most NTs believe that as long as we see a counselor or something that we'll be fine.

or once you get DXed then you are "alright, now"

Merle

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 4:04 am

its off topic but I love your avitar sinsboldly !
:lol: it made me smile, in a weird sort of way

Arcona
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2008, 10:00 am

There is a prevailing attitude in the UK that disabled people are only suitable for low skilled jobs. I have no idea where this attitude came from or whether it was the result of the education system in years gone by denying disabled kids anything higher than a primary school education or the opportunity to take exams leading to qualifications. The consequence of this attitude is that most disability organisations try to channel disabled people into low skilled jobs and are often unable to help disabled people with a higher level of skills and qualifications find careers that make use of them.

Asperger Technical is one exception to this rule as it was set up to help scientists, engineers, and IT workers with Asperger syndrome find suitable employment. However, it only operates in the UK and has yet to make any serious impact with any employers.

http://www.aspergertechnical.org.uk

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2008, 12:14 pm

At the moment, self help is the only consistent source of help for adults.

Magliabechi.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 3:00 pm

I am an adult with Asperger's. I went 43 years without a proper dx. The school I went to as a child threatened to take me away from my parents because they were "bad parents" in spite of them having five other children who were NT. There are some things I have learned to adapt to and things I haven't. I have other issues because my AS was not diagnosed until last year.
I had to start a meetup group (First meeting is next Tuesday) because right now there is nothing in my part of the state.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2008, 3:48 pm

Are you in some indirect way saying that you'd have a 'better' personality if you didn't have AS?