Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

messygeek
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2008, 6:53 pm

I wrote on my blog a post about gift ideas for someone with aspergers and to be honest I hit a brick wall and would appreciate some input.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:02 pm

anything gaming-related

online gift cards for their favorite things/collectibles

that "look me in the eye" book

just a few suggestions.... :shrug:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:11 pm

A gift card to the local surplus store. Those places are amazing for anyone who likes to build, create, etc. However, it really depends on the person.

Gift cards are the way to go: What else says "I'm not exactly sure what to get you, so I'm letting you choose" quite like a gift card?

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2008, 7:16 pm

I would think if you know a person with Aspergers well enough to want to get them a gife, chances are you've been on the recieving end of one of their long monologues about their obsession. In which case it's simple just get them something relating to their obsession.

Like for example, I don't see my uncle very often, but apparently it doesn't matter, as he picked up on my current obsession with Doctor Who and took me to the exhibit at Earls Court for my Birthday. And my dad got me specially made Doctor Who t-shirts (which I love! One says : Someday my Tardis will come and the other says: I'm a Doctor Who-lligan!, He's normally terrible at getting me gifts, but that's not because I have Aspergers, it's cos he gets stuff that he'll like that I won't so he ends up getting them!).

Even if they already have what you get, it shows your reconise what they care about, and are trying to relate to them on their level.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:24 pm

What I really like are quiz books, books like '101 things you should know', find-a-words, brain training puzzles and stuff like that. I like to increase my knowledge and do puzzles when I'm bored. I'm about to go out and show someone a big fat book on history in hope that they'll buy it for me for Christmas.
You could add videogames too. A lot of Aspies like videogames, because they are fun, challenging and a good way to waste time on your own. Let's not forget addictive too. Yeah, I want to get more videogames for my Wii.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:28 pm

BastetsEye wrote:
I would think if you know a person with Aspergers well enough to want to get them a gife, chances are you've been on the recieving end of one of their long monologues about their obsession. In which case it's simple just get them something relating to their obsession.

Like for example, I don't see my uncle very often, but apparently it doesn't matter, as he picked up on my current obsession with Doctor Who and took me to the exhibit at Earls Court for my Birthday. And my dad got me specially made Doctor Who t-shirts (which I love! One says : Someday my Tardis will come and the other says: I'm a Doctor Who-lligan!, He's normally terrible at getting me gifts, but that's not because I have Aspergers, it's cos he gets stuff that he'll like that I won't so he ends up getting them!).

Even if they already have what you get, it shows your reconise what they care about, and are trying to relate to them on their level.

^^^^^GOOD SUGGESTION!! !! !!

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 7:52 pm

My son loves music and enjoys handling objects (like his toy cars, he studies them and he loves puzzles.. he has enough of those already), I am getting him an electronic keyboard...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:04 pm

lionesss wrote:
My son loves music and enjoys handling objects (like his toy cars, he studies them and he loves puzzles.. he has enough of those already), I am getting him an electronic keyboard...

You could STILL get some puzzles for stocking stuffers! :lol:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:05 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
lionesss wrote:

You could STILL get some puzzles for stocking stuffers! :lol:

Sure! I could, but I am going to try something different :D

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:12 pm

For a little guy, get one of those "hair-balls"; the rubbery balls with the rubber "hairs" that grow out of it. Very sensory. My kid loves his.

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 9:39 pm

I am wishing for a real life boyfriend! Or, if santa is not into pimping, a real life best friend.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:42 pm

Look at the way Santa dresses.
He lives to pimp.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:45 pm

lionesss wrote:

an an electronic keyboard is an excellent choice, my son loves the one I got him, I am going to get him a set of drums next, and my self an elec guitar (he can play with that as well, thinking of getting him a small one if he ends up liking mine)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:55 pm

A book about their special interest(s), a visit somewhere that relates to their special interest(s), puzzle books, etc.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 10:22 pm

A winning lottery ticket

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

A gift card to Best Buy!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!