Serious stim type thing, ruining life

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 7:52 pm

I have this stim thing I have started doing the last month, and I just realize I do it. I like a mile from Wal-Mart, and every night at 8 I find myself there, and I walk around in a certain path for four hours. I have no idea why and I never buy anything. I can't be doing this though. But I feel like I do if I am not allowed to stim if I don't do it. You know the feeling? YEah, if I don't go I freak out. I really need help on this one.

I think it's the floor tiles that are making me go there because when I get there I have to walk just so on the floor tiles

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:03 pm

So walk somewhere else now. For example, in the woods or on a bike path or wherever. It seems liek a pretty harmless stim to me. Take up running. I have to force myself to deviate my routines and paths of travel or I get stuck in the rut too. The first few times you will feel anxious, but replacing it with a different routine helps.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:12 pm

Sounds more OCD-ish than just a simple stim.
Hmmm

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 8:12 pm

Does not being able to do an OCD feel like not being able to do a stim?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:25 pm

Stims have a definite OCD component, but my understanding is that when you're OCD, you're afraid that consequences with ensue of you don't do the activity, and the activity is motivated by that fear.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 8:54 pm

I always thought a stim was something you do everywhere- like for me, I bite my fingers. I do it at work, at home, while driving, everywhere. Going to WalMart and walking doesn't seem like it fits.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

Mage wrote:
I always thought a stim was something you do everywhere- like for me, I bite my fingers. I do it at work, at home, while driving, everywhere. Going to WalMart and walking doesn't seem like it fits.

WHO KNOWS!!?!?!? I do something that seems to be done like a stim, when an autistic person may do a stim, but I do it ONLY if I am holding a small bottle. Some(even people DIAGNOSED with as or autism) do similar things with balls. I do some things ONLY when sitting, etc.... So who knows?

mystyc
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2008, 9:54 pm

AS!=stimming!=OCD

Sensory integration dysfunction (SID) is not AS. Not all aspies have it. SID is closer to synesthesia than OCD. OCD can be treated with medication. Go see a psychiatrist and stop looking for medical advice from autistic people.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:14 am

You don't have to be so mean. To tell the truth not everyone can afford to see a doctor regularily, I am one of those people and I thought that maybe someone had once had a similar problem, since there are so many people. If someone has suggestions I can either try them myself, or ask a friend for help in trying them. I even have nice online friends to help me stay in line.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:24 am

I am in Canada, the government pays for me to see a doctor, and so my parents could afford to get me diagnosed, and I hated them for it for sooo many years...... Anyways, My stim is tapping...... I am always tapping, whether it is my feet or hands, fingers whatever.... And it is worse if I have been off of my ritalyn for a while. A lot of people hate my obsessive tapping, but I can't help but live my life to one beat or another.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:35 am

Heh, I am in America and we don't have that kind of thing here. I don't really mind because I went to a shrink for a while and realized all she was doing was making me talk, which made me sound dumb xD. But I have a couple different stims. I wasn't sure this was one but when I don't know something I grab the nearest word I think fits. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I mostly tap my leg and swing my head, either forward and back or side to side. I also move my hand really fast or rub them over the tv because it makes wooshing sounds and is very warm. I liked the old tvs though because they used to get static and be all "crackle, crackle, crack crack crack crackle" but this one is warmer... I like tv screens.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:44 am

Is it possible to replace this stim with another one that won't make you walk to Wal-Mart at 8pm?
I understand they are hard to stop. I have tried to stop myself from scratching my hands. Right now my hand has dried blood all over it.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:47 am

I used to bite myself but then I found out I could stop that by chewing pieces of plastic if I could find them, maybe you could get a scratching pad?

I am trying to think of some way to replace it, that has been what I have thought about all day. I considered walking around the block a bunch of times, but it gets dark around 6 here, so by eight it would basically be midnight. I do need to clean my apartment so maybe I could hide my keys tonight and just not be able to find them tomorrow, then I could try cleaning after I am done missing Wal-mart? That is a good idea though.

((Woo hoo three hundreth post))

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 2:49 am

Dried blood, I know the feeling, I once thought I had a scab on my skin, so i scratched and picked, and it formed a blister, and I still scratched and picked until it bled... Later I learned it was a natural discolouring of my skin.... after 5 episodes of scratching, picking and bleeding.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 2:53 am

Owie... I pick at scabs... but so does my dad... and we both poke bruises xD. Mom scolds me for it if she sees,

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 3:41 am

Quote:
but it gets dark around 6 here, so by eight it would basically be midnight

OK, my brain hurts from that. Two hours and six are not the same.

I think you mean it would be really dark. The dark is very nice to walk in, but pack pepper spray...just in case.