Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 8:03 am

John Lennon is one of my favroite Musicians, and I feel that today would be a good day to honour him. He's lived a good life. A very short life, but a good life. I worship John, because he was an advocate for Peace. The world seemed to be getting somewhere, during the time frame of 1964 and late 1980. And that was all because of John Lennon. I know that he's looking down on all the Beatles Fans and Hippies, especially today. The world was a much nicer place before his life was stolen from him. Now it seems as though everything has gone backwards. The Youth of the 1960s and 1970s stuck to the philosophy that we should love one another. These days, Youths are striving for Hate and Violence. :cry: The world as a whole hasn't done a good job keeping Lennon's dream alive. I'd love to keep his dream alive by making Speeches about World Peace and giving them. I don't know where to begin. I feel that if John Lennon was alive today, the world would be a much happier place for everybody. He's written and recorded some very beautiful songs. I'm even willing to give up my Horn-Rims for a pair of John Lennons, because John's my Hero. I've forgotten who my real Hero is, over the past 6 years. It would be a change, but this type of change is good. Some times I have dreams that Lennon's still alive, and I see youths flashing the Peace Sign at eachother. Everybody in my dreams have nothing but nice things to say to eachother. I see parents reasoning with and hugging their children, instead of yelling at, shoving and spanking them, in those dreams. I wake up and everything seems to be the opposite as they should. I can only Imagine what a different world this would be, if John was still alive, today. A lot better than it is now, for sure.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2005, 8:31 am

It would be easy to be cynical and say John Lennon couldn't have made much of a difference really, but I don't know. Maybe you're right.

Either way, he was a great musician and very sadly missed.

Perhaps if John had lived and continued writing such magical stuff as Imagine, Paul McCartney would have had some healthy competition and never stooped to writing such drivel as the Frog Chorus! We could have all done with being saved from that! :wink:

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 9:28 am

Well the youths of the seventies were hardly full of love and peace. Havn't you heard of punk?
I too admire John Lennon, as a person he seemed fantastic.
It's one thing to talk about world peace and another to actually do it and would you really enjoy a world where everything is nice? Nice, to me would be bland and shows a distinct lack of imagination and to be honest nice people arn't always the most interesting.
They I do agree he was a fantastic guy (from what I've heard about him) and that musically he was genius.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 10:48 am

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

tomthecarpenter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2005, 1:13 pm

i been thinking about him and his work alot lately.... and his message and the way the world is today... I wonder if the universe took him from us mecifully. becuz he was so wise
and so few listened. Was it because he would have felt so much sadness and frustration about the way things are........... just like others who died young but had a message for us all.?????? Is he watching us now?

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2005, 1:40 pm

A couple of quotes attributed to John, that have helped me:

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. (attributed to others, too)

John Lennon was an AS perseveration of mine, providing me with a social "gateway" I probably wouldn't have otherwise had; through whom I could acheive a certain degree of "coolness".

From the time when I was four and he was on Ed Sullivan with The Beatles and I mimicked his performance with a badminton racket instead of a guitar, to the deeper philisophical embrace of peace, individuality and peculiarly traditional values of his new found family life with Sean and Yoko, I truly loved and admired John. He added a focus to my life on music, pop culture, philosophy and political activism which I have been able to parlay into a successful media career. Without John, it otherwise may have not panned out this way for me.

I deeply miss him and continue at every turn to be immensely saddened by his assasination.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Machloket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2005, 3:07 pm

Just another dead communist hypocrite.
One of the reasons he was killed was due to his hypocrisy. It's been reported that one of the reasons Mark David Chapman killed Lennon was due to the fact that Lennon lived a very lavish lifestyle (multi-million dollar house, etc.) while preaching giving up one's possessions. The majority of people that preach such messages are the same type of hypocrites, living lavish lifestyles while preaching poverty. Look at Michael Moore for a modern example, admittedly not as talented as Lennon.

jman wrote:
Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

I'd just as soon not imagine a G-dless world where everybody is the same.
Imagine, no individuality.
Imagine, looking and thinking and acting like everybody else.
Imagine, getting the same wage no matter how much or how little work you do.
I want an end to poverty as much (if not more) than most people, but communism is a bigger problem than ever a solution.

Machloket

AreFriendsElectric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2005, 4:38 pm

I just wanted to say...

"Thank You" John Lennon (thats "Takk" in Icelandic, Johnny Boy!) for a more harmonious world...

Thank you for sharing your soul and knowledge with the rest of us.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2005, 4:48 pm

Whom I find totally amusing, are those who totally miss the God-affirming nature of the lyrics in "Imagine", along with its intentional irony when it's lost on those who just don't get it. Any conjecture that John Lennon was hypocritical for writting songs espousing an egalitarian view is ludicrous. Thank goodness most folks are not so cynical. :D

visualize whirled peas

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2005, 6:12 pm

Click here

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2005, 6:18 pm

If you change peace to pimps

Give peace a change takes on a whole new meaning

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 12:17 am

I'm feeling better, now. I can worship John Lennon until the pigs come home, but that doesn't mean that I should be him. I'm keeping my Horn-Rims and I'll keep Lennon's memory alive by playing his music. I think I had a Dillusional Episode, this morning. December the 8th is a very emotional day for me, becuase that's the day that Lennon was killed, but I think I took it a little too far.

AreFriendsElectric

10 Dec 2005, 5:14 am

It is ok, Cockney Friend. Take as far as you must.

Quote:
December the 8th is a very emotional day for me, becuase that's the day that Lennon was killed, but I think I took it a little too far.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 10:17 am

I think that John Lennon was full of crap and being dead for 25 years doesn't make him any less so.

Klytus
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2005, 6:26 pm

oatwillie wrote:
A couple of quotes attributed to John, that have helped me:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. (attributed to others, too)

Friedrich Nietzsche said that long before Lennon. :mrgreen:

Machloket wrote:
Just another dead communist hypocrite.
One of the reasons he was killed was due to his hypocrisy. It's been reported that one of the reasons Mark David Chapman killed Lennon was due to the fact that Lennon lived a very lavish lifestyle (multi-million dollar house, etc.) while preaching giving up one's possessions. The majority of people that preach such messages are the same type of hypocrites, living lavish lifestyles while preaching poverty. Look at Michael Moore for a modern example, admittedly not as talented as Lennon.

Agreed. These pampered showbiz commies and hippies are quite common.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2005, 7:16 pm

John Lennon, a communist? On what do you base this assertion?

It is my understanding that John Lennon and Yoko Ono made quite a large sum of money as venture capitalists, primarily farming beef cattle with some of the largest farms East of the Mississippi. There was, however, a fellow named Lenin who espoused a communist view.

visualize whirled peas

Last edited by oatwillie on 11 Dec 2005, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.