Does the South hate the North
Yes 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 21

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Dec 2008, 11:17 pm

Do you think, with this most recent Auto Bailout, that South hates the North? The moment something is proposed to help the North, the backward, dumbass, hick southerners smash it down.

I personally hate the South, and was raised by good Midwestern parents. Those people in the South still believe the Confederacy was a good thing, and they are a hateful group of Trogoldytes. The US government should divert all Hurricane aid (with the exception of New Orleans) to the Rust Belt and show the South where their place is, and how to sympathize with other people.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

Hmmm...hillbilly here...I cannot help but support the bail outs. I cannot help but think of the workers and imagine it could very well be the corporation I work for next; though I doubt the government would bail out mine. In a way I am caught in the middle of the whole issue. There is a part of me that thinks the government might be throwing our money away and these corporations will just fail anyway. I really have trouble seeing how this is a North and South issue, or even that North and South are an issue at all. And what makes New Orleans so special?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Dec 2008, 11:26 pm

let me tell you something bub, everyone who doesnt live in the south hates it. my brother is currently in south carolina and he told me its awful, politically, climitologically (its so humid there!) and just about everything else. he did say there was alot of lakes there and thats like the only good thing :lol:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
I personally hate the South

and personally f**k you.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:28 pm

It's doubtful you can determine personal worth by geography. That way leads to civil war.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:32 pm

being against the bailout has nothing to do with north vs south and has to do with that the motor companies did NOTHING to save themselves and failed. the south has real problems. that kind of money could fix some real problems instead of propping up companies that are going to fail. new orleans still hasn't been rebuilt; nor has most of the gulf south region that was destroyed. so let's see....prop up some auto companies that aren't even trying or get some real work done....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:43 pm

you know what? you move those factories to mississippi, louisiana, alabama and i bet you'll see a better workforce for cheaper. particularly in the right to work states.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:49 pm

YES.

Kidding but being as how my state is part south and part north, there are people who still stereotype eachother's accents and way of living as if they were living in the past.

There do seem to be a number of southern ignoramuses that act pretty bigoted and racist. Not sure if this was instilled in them from the dawning of slavery or if it's just a genetic mutation from all that inbreeding... :lol:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:52 pm

The south in general does dislike the north. Midwesterner here opposed to the auto bailout.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Dec 2008, 12:19 am

was this topic about the auto bailout? i'll add my two cents then. let them restructure through bankrupcy. i really couldnt care besides that, i dont drive :lol:

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:23 am

I think on both sides of the mason dixon line your going to find backward hateful hillbillies who still hold a grudge over the civil war and irrationally hate those on the other side of the imaginary line for over exaggerated slights.

I think most of us on both sides are over that whole north and south thing though and are good people who will offer you an iced tea in the south or slice of warm pie in the north no matter where you're from.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2008, 12:50 am

Okay, may have been somewhat heavy-handed at first. I will admit that the Auto Companies are weighed down by the Health Care costs (another reason for some form of universal healthcare) and retirement (no, I don't have any idea to solve that one) However, unions are good, at least in theory, because they make sure that the workers get some sort of acceptable wage. Without, in theory (and practice to some extent), wages will be driven down, and it will be harder to make a living on those wages. Yes, the foreign car companies do pay good wages, but those are foreign companies, and obviously, there is a different corporate culture. Also the management is bad, but there should be a stipulation in any bailout that the management goes.

Much of the reason I am a liberal is because I want to see less wealth inequality, and because of what I have heard in my lifetime, I am very sucipious corporates and Republicans

Skafather-I wonder why you hate the North so much. I just want to see them get out of this cycle of death. The North loses industry, and goes elsewhere. Because of this they begin to have infrastructure problems and the states go into debt. As a result, they cannot compete with the south, and they lose more industry, resulting a cycle that is hard to pull out of.

And as for me hating the south, and wanting all Hurricane Aid taking away from the South (Gulf Coast), here is why. The south constantly bashes the North. For many things, too many to mention. Then, when the get hit by a Hurricane, they come snivelling to the same people and states, and ask for help. Never mind that they would not do the same if the North or Midwest were affected by a similar scale catastrophe. They feel entitled to get help. I say the Federal Government should show how the Southerners have been treating the North, and make the South learn Humility.

Also, the South are the most wealth-unequal, impoverished, hyper-conservative states in the nation.

Edit 1:

Fraya wrote:
I think on both sides of the mason dixon line your going to find backward hateful hillbillies who still hold a grudge over the civil war and irrationally hate those on the other side of the imaginary line for over exaggerated slights.

I think most of us on both sides are over that whole north and south thing though and are good people who will offer you an iced tea in the south or slice of warm pie in the north no matter where you're from.

I'd like to believe that, but I've seen otherwise. They bash places like NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., L.A., and Seattle constantly.

Edit 2:
richardbenson wrote:
was this topic about the auto bailout? i'll add my two cents then. let them restructure through bankrupcy. i really couldnt care besides that, i dont drive :lol:

Great idea in theory, but in the Economy's current state, they may not be able to recover from Bankruptcy.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:58 am

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
However, unions are good, at least in theory, because they make sure that the workers get some sort of acceptable wage.

No they aren't. Unions actually are detrimental to workers as a whole, and there are a number of economists who have studied that.

Quote:
Much of the reason I am a liberal is because I want to see less wealth inequality, and because of what I have heard in my lifetime, I am very sucipious corporates and Republicans

Why do you want to see less wealth inequality? You haven't established that wealth inequality is necessarily bad. Until recently, in Cuba medical doctors and janitors earned the same paycheck. Do you think that's a good idea? Being liberal as a reaction to corrupt Republicans isn't a well though-out stance. I was that way for a long time, and was much more liberal than you are likely ever to be, until I studied economics and realized that much of my political ideology was completely unfounded.

Quote:
Also, the South are the most wealth-unequal, impoverished, hyper-conservative states in the nation.

Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida all went for Obama. The KKK is most active in the Midwest (most active in Indiana, followed by Ohio).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:00 am

Hurricane_Delta wrote:
Great idea in theory, but in the Economy's current state, they may not be able to recover from Bankruptcy.

So let them fail. They suck at making cars, so why shouldn't they go out of business? That's what happens to companies that are bad at what they do.

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2008, 1:11 am

Okay Orwell, show me some law in the Government that makes sure the Companies don't take care of the workers. There isn't one. Or, at least there isn't one the Republicans can repeal, and the picture below disagrees with you on the racism thing. Also, its beginning to be a stretch to say that VA, NC, or FLA are southern. Fla is its own little place, and NC and VA are now their own little region, slowly being absorbed by the Northeast.

Racism alive and well, mostly in the south.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:23 am

Orwell wrote:
Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida all went for Obama. The KKK is most active in the Midwest (most active in Indiana, followed by Ohio).