Newbie: Are these Aspie Typical Behaviors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

saffronlost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2008, 12:13 am

I am a 38yo married SAHM mom of 3. So far I am an undiagnosed Aspie, but have checked many sites and fit the profile. I have not gotten a professional opinion for various reasons, though I hope to one day. Here are some things and thoughts I sometimes have and wonder if they are typical.

1) I sometimes find myself moving my fingers to syllables of conversations for short periods of time, like maybe 5 minutes
2) I feel detached from others people, even those I know well, but I am empathetic
3) I feel like I cause bad luck for others (like I will talk to someone one day and hear a the next that they became sick--then feel that I caused it even though I was not sick because of my bad luck)
4) For unknown reasons, I sometimes gently trace geometrical shapes in my arms with my fingertips.
5) After going to a block party for only about 2-3 hours, I have to come home to be in the quiet and comfort of home, but wish I could be one of those people who could be one of those who enjoyed those parties for countless hours
6) The 'Art of Conversation' escapes me and it takes great effort to hold a conversation and have to often observe other people to know what is appropriate and common to say.

If any of these sound familiar, please let me know. Right now I feel like the only person on Earth who feels like this.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:21 am

1. Yes, this is called "stimming," and I do it as well.
2. Yes, I am the same.
3. Not really, it sounds somewhat more like OCD.
4. See 1.
5. Yes, or it could just be introversion.
6. Yes, this is one of the main hallmarks of AS.

twallcx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2008, 4:00 am

saffronlost wrote:
I am a 38yo married SAHM mom of 3. So far I am an undiagnosed Aspie, but have checked many sites and fit the profile. I have not gotten a professional opinion for various reasons, though I hope to one day. Here are some things and thoughts I sometimes have and wonder if they are typical.

1) I sometimes find myself moving my fingers to syllables of conversations for short periods of time, like maybe 5 minutes
2) I feel detached from others people, even those I know well, but I am empathetic
3) I feel like I cause bad luck for others (like I will talk to someone one day and hear a the next that they became sick--then feel that I caused it even though I was not sick because of my bad luck)
4) For unknown reasons, I sometimes gently trace geometrical shapes in my arms with my fingertips.
5) After going to a block party for only about 2-3 hours, I have to come home to be in the quiet and comfort of home, but wish I could be one of those people who could be one of those who enjoyed those parties for countless hours
6) The 'Art of Conversation' escapes me and it takes great effort to hold a conversation and have to often observe other people to know what is appropriate and common to say.

If any of these sound familiar, please let me know. Right now I feel like the only person on Earth who feels like this.

the only thing more pobvious is to get the word "aspie" tattooed on your body somewhere

cman_yall
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2008, 4:15 am

While these characteristics you describe do sound like they fit the category, that doesn't prove it. If you really want to know, go get a diagnosis, but don't expect it to make any difference to your life - there are no drugs or anything to "fix" AS. There's counselling and stuff, but given that you've managed to get married and reproduce, you're probably already ahead of the game :lol:

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 9:30 pm

saffronlost wrote:

I thought luck was more of an irrational and scientifically unfounded NT concept.

Nutterbug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm

cman_yall wrote:
There's counselling and stuff, but given that you've managed to get married and reproduce, you're probably already ahead of the game :lol:

I figured it's less of a hindrance for the women.

Guys look favourably on women who talk less, think and act rationally, and bring less drama to the relationship, right?

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2008, 9:56 pm

Nutterbug wrote:
cman_yall wrote:
There's counselling and stuff, but given that you've managed to get married and reproduce, you're probably already ahead of the game :lol:

I figured it's less of a hindrance for the women.

Guys look favourably on women who talk less, think and act rationally, and bring less drama to the relationship, right?

really? please tell the guys around me that. i'll even add to the bargain - i don't want kids!

i identify with 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. not dx'd either, though i'm hoping to change that soon.

saffronlost
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2008, 10:34 pm

Quote:

I think guys like women who don't want to be like everyone else. That is how us Aspies are, but I can add drama to a relationship. Wouldn't life be boring without a little drama?