Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who has delusions
Bizarre delusions like the aliens have implanted a tracking device in you 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Non-bizarre delusions like certain people keep stalking you or falsly believing you went on adventures. 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
No I do not have delusions 72%  72%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 32

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,130
Location: Wonderland

16 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

Greyhound wrote:
If you have a delusion, surely you don't know you're having a delusion - that's the whole point, isn't it?


VERY GOOD POINT



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,395
Location: Ohio, USA

16 Dec 2008, 1:38 pm

Tails wrote:
I have difficulty with my sense of 'self', and sometimes I can't tell if I've been to a place or if I just dreamed about it or read about it. I often have deja-vu about things and places even though I don't think I've seen them before/been there. The weirdest thing is that, because I lack a strong sense of personal identity, I sometimes can't tell myself apart from the fictional characters I identify most with.

I'm pretty sure that none of that is a form of psychosis, though, and doesn't really qualify as 'delusional'.
I would call it dissociative. Whether it's actually something to be worried about--no, I don't think so; not unless you're in distress about it.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2007
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,336

16 Dec 2008, 1:41 pm

Tantybi wrote:
...Anyway, sorry I ranted, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. I would delete it and forget about it, but I just put too much time into it to waste it. Plus it would be cool, though I'm a doubtin it would happen, if somebody added to it. I kinda wonder why I want to go into psychology, but i think it's because this is one main thing I'd like to see change about it. Like the diagnostic criteria really needs to be written so any idiot or psychologist who lives in the gray area of ethics (like Dr. Phil) doesn't confuse it or twist it.


No, thank you for your "rant". I'm going nuts reading all these diagnostic criteria, wondering if I'm delusional, phobic, just an AS with PTSD and trauma, or what. All the ASD things seem to apply to me except for motor impairments.

I'm getting confused and upset. TU.



Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,130
Location: Wonderland

16 Dec 2008, 2:06 pm

FireBird wrote:
According to the evil doctors (Dr. Evil is my psychiatrist or it seems like it because he calls me crazy) they say I have bizarre delusions and in the past I know that's true because some of it is no longer happening. I'll just give you a list of ones that I have now and ones that I have had in the past:
Now:
1. Like you mentioned, aliens implanted a chip in my brain and they say I have a special purpose for them. (you read my mind, huh?)
2. That there are nanobots inside of me and I actually feel them so it can't be a delusion but the evil doctors say it is.
3. That I have inserted thoughts from the government and aliens
4. Thought broadcasting
5. I have this "mode" that I turn into a bird and think I can fly (I have actually tried to fly before) and during this time I lose my language and speak gibberish
6. That I am being controlled by the government from a satellite.
7. That I am a doctor (I realize this one is a delusion but the reason why I think this is because some doctors in the past said I know more than them in psychology!)
8. That I influence the economy and stock market
9. That I am going to turn into a robot (the thought insertion told me that-I would never think that on my own and the same with all these other so called delusions)
10. That there are cloaked FBI agents after me (I heard their footsteps and seen their footsteps but no body so it must be them)
Past:
1. I influenced world disasters with my psychic dreams.
2. That I controlled criminals with my mind to kill people
3. I don't know if this one is current or the past but aliens put a device that broacasts my thoughts to the world.
4. A grandiose delusion- I had this personality that thought she was God (yes, I have DID as well- I had 10 personalities but they don't happen really anymore)


Well, I don't know if this helps, but satellites cannot control people. But, they are really pretty when you see them in the sky or when they fall out of orbit. I wonder how many wishes I made on man made satellites? If you want to see what satellites do, check out the google earth. Also, you can still know more than a doctor, but you aren't a doctor until you get a PhD. Also, every dollar you spend and every choice you make to spend that dollar has a very small influence on the economy and stock market. On the FBI coming after you, did you do something wrong to where you'd feel concerned? Once, my friend's phone was bugged for something really stupid mind you (divorce), but we didn't care because we weren't doing anything illegal. In fact, we used to make jokes that the guy listening to us better be getting paid double for having to put up with our conversation. I should also add that they weren't bugged by her husband. It's a long story, but her husband's best friend was being investigated for something at the time of their divorce.

Also, maybe on the bird thing, maybe you were a bird in a past life. I personally don't totally buy the reincarnation thing, but almost every psychic out there says past lives are real.



mosez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
Location: Norway

16 Dec 2008, 2:29 pm

Tantybi wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

Multiple-complex Developmental Disorder (McDD) represents a distinct group within the autism spectrum based on symptomatology.

... there are some children who display the severe, early-appearing social and communicative deficits characteristic of autism who ALSO display some of the emotional instability and disordered thought processes that resemble schizophrenic symptoms. Cohen, et al. (1986), coined the term Multiplex Developmental Disorder (MDD) to describe these children, although they are often given a diagnosis of PDD-NOS by clinicians who may be unfamiliar with this terminology. Unlike schizophrenia, MDD symptoms emerge in childhood, sometimes in the first years of life, and persist throughout development.

Multiplex developmental disorder is diagnosed in people who are on both the autism and schizophrenia spectrums. Their intelligence and emotional range run the gamut. There is a high rate of co-morbidity with learning disorders, AD/HD, obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, bipolar disorder, social anxiety disorder, Tourette's syndrome, personality disorders, epilepsy, and phobias.

McDD is a developmental disorder with symptoms that can be divided into three groups.

A. Regulation of emotion. (Affective symptoms) – two or more of the following.
1. Depressive symptoms such as consistent depressed mood, feelings of sadness or emptiness, thoughts of death, little interest or pleasure in activities, chronic fatigue, feelings of worthlessness or guilt.
2. Manic symptoms such as racing thoughts, irritability, distractibility, psychomotor agitation, impulsivity, sleep disturbances, feelings of grandiosity or extreme self worth, risky behavior.
3. Anxious symptoms such as recurrent panic, intense inappropriate anxiety, dissociation, diffuse tension, paranoia, unusual fears and phobias that are peculiar in content or in intensity.
4. Severely impaired regulation of feelings.
5. Significant and wide emotional variability with or without environmental precipitants.

B. Consistent impairments in social behavior and development (Autistic symptoms) - at least two from (A) and one from (B) or (C).
(A) Qualitative impairment in social interaction.
1. Marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. Failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. A lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people
4. Lack of social or emotional reciprocity
(B) Qualitative impairments in communication.
1. Delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
2. In individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
3. Stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
4. Lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level
(C) Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities.
1. Encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
2. Apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
3. Stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
4. Persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C. Impaired cognitive processing (psychotic symptoms) – two or more of the following.
1. Delusions, including fantasies of personal omnipotence, thought insertion, paranoid preoccupations, overengagement with fantasy figures, grandiose fantasies of special powers, referential ideation, and confusion between fantasy and real life.
2. Hallucinations and/or unusual perceptual experiences.
3. Negative symptoms (anhedonia, affective flattening, alogia, or avolition)
4. Disorganized or catatonic behavior such as thought disorder symptoms, easy confusability, inappropriate emotions/facial expressions, uncontrollable laughter, etc.
5. Disorganized speech.

Other possible symptoms. (Does not count for diagnosis)
-Poor sensory integration/moter skills.
-Compulsive behavior and tics.
-Learning disorders.
-Poor judgement/difficulty making decisions.
-Difficulty expressing self.
-Literal concrete thinking.
-Poor concentration.


I want to say this is bull because any Aspie could have all three. When it comes to emotions, everybody has all emotions including sadness and irritability. People with AS is going to feel a lot of those depressive, anxious, and manic symptoms when dealing with negative external stimuli like large groups of people, bullies, etc. So, there's three of that required two. You can also just assume the autistic symptoms are there for AS. Now, the psychotic symptoms. Many Aspies seem to think they are better than NTs, so that's a delusion. Since we are so nervous in social settings, often our speech gets disorganized. That's two out of two. Now we got three for three, so we must all be also this.

They really need to start wording these things better. That would totally make sense if people had all those things for no reason. Like the Autistic symptoms are there for no rhyme or reason. But, when you get into the emotional and "psychotic" symptoms, many are symptoms shared by all people as part of human nature. In addition, many are also common responses to certain stimuli. There is really no way to tell if someone is depressed for no reason whatsoever or if there was a normal reason for it (like they got fired) unless they volunteer the information for a normal reason, but since you would never know as a psychologist if there is a reason for it, then you can't be certain if those symptoms are really abnormal to have them or if they are a part of human nature. I just assume that a disorder means it's abnormal; otherwise, everyone has a disorder of some sort. Then again, maybe that's not what I'm getting. Everyone does have a disorder. The opposite of disorder would be order. Every person has some aspect of themselves that interferes with the common order of things. Maybe all those disorders is Psycholgy's way of creating an orderly world. Like in the Cat and the Hat movie with Mike Meyers.

This is what I don't get about psychology. It reminds me too much of the UCMJ (military code of justice...law). The UCMJ has a rule for everything. It is virtually impossible to follow all those rules. What results from this? Control. They can decide for any reason if they like you or not and work all those rules against you if they don't like you. I really think the reason why is because all the people making the laws are bored and just add laws to avoid doing any real work and show that their job is still needed so please don't fire me type thing. This is what psychology does with their diagnostic criteria (which most psychologists don't even follow as much as trendy news articles, which is why half the world is now ADHD). It creates an easier way to control. Like ADHD is a fun control for the pharmaceutical industry so they can make all that money off their amphetamine cocktails. Do you really think Chrystal Meth is illegal because it's bad for you? No, it's illegal because the company making Ritalin or Adderall can't profit from illegal sales of similar products, thereby, the government doesn't profit because illegal drug dealers don't always pay taxes (some actually do, and it was a very interesting story in accounting class because the guy paid taxes on his illegal drug sales and listed drug dealer as his primary occupation on his taxes for like 10 years; when he got busted, he didn't go to jail because some law says that you cannot prohibit someone from performing their primary means of income and him paying taxes on it and listing it as such proved it as his primary source of income, but he was court ordered to change his occupation). Anyway, I am willing to bet that the pharmaceutical companies have lobbyists that helped coerced IDEA into including ADHD on there so that schools are pushing kids into that diagnosis and medicine in order for the schools to collect more grant money which in turns increases sales for the pharmaceuticals. Aspergers, fortunately, doesn't make the pharmaceutical companies any money cause there is no drug for it which may be why it's diagnostic criteria makes a little more sense, but all those emotional and psychotic symptoms, the ones that hardly make any sense, can be treated with medicine. Hmmm?

Anyway, sorry I ranted, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. I would delete it and forget about it, but I just put too much time into it to waste it. Plus it would be cool, though I'm a doubtin it would happen, if somebody added to it. I kinda wonder why I want to go into psychology, but i think it's because this is one main thing I'd like to see change about it. Like the diagnostic criteria really needs to be written so any idiot or psychologist who lives in the gray area of ethics (like Dr. Phil) doesn't confuse it or twist it.


Must be a dream/ nightmare for a shrink to lay his hands on such a case


_________________
I don't pay any attention to you, standing there thinking you are in control, cause I am in control-mosez


Irada
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 8 Sep 2008
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 323
Location: Perth, Australia

16 Dec 2008, 2:42 pm

I'm not quite sure on what to consider a delusion. When I do daydream (if you call it that) I get pretty involved. I think up entirely different realities, think up all these people and their lives, families, lifestyles, practically everything. I then somehow manage to be able to recall memories with these people. It begins to feel like I belong in these worlds, like I was born in them and somehow ended up in this world instead. Its scary sometimes how emotionally connected I can get to people who don't exist (At least I don't think they do. Or do I? :? . Its as thought these little "worlds" of mine operate without me consciously knowing. Sometimes I have difficulty telling which reality/world is the real one. Really screws my head over. Not sure if you consider it a delusion though.



paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Apr 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,181

16 Dec 2008, 6:01 pm

Tantybi wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
Do You even know what is the difference between delusions and halluciantions?


A delusion is a false belief, a hallucination is a false perception



Delusion is when there is an actual sensory stimuli, but it is wrong interpretated by Your brain.

Hallucination is when there is no sensory stimuli.


Here it is on Healthatoz.com
"Delusions. Those delusions that occur in schizophrenia and its related forms are typically bizarre (i.e., they could not occur in real life). Delusions occurring in delusional disorder are more plausible, but still patently untrue. In some cases, delusions may be accompanied by feelings of paranoia.


Hallucinations. Psychotic patients see, hear, smell, taste, or feel things that aren't there. Schizophrenic hallucinations are typically auditory or, less commonly, visual; but psychotic hallucinations can involve any of the five senses."



And You're trying to tell me that... ??? :huh:


" A person who claims to be Santa Claus or Jesus Christ is delusional. Many NT's have used the phrase, "You are delusional" when people say things like "She doesn't like me because I'm prettier than she is." .


I think that is more gullible than delusional but if you claim you believe in Santa Clause not because Mom and Dad told you but because you feel you actually witnessed him land on your roof with all his reindeer with your own eyes then that would be delusional. Delusional in a more bizarre sense. Or you believe in Jesus Christ not because of what you were taught at Sunday School but you actually saw him walk on water then that would also be delusional.



Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,335
Location: Birmingham, UK

17 Dec 2008, 10:31 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Tantybi wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:
ReGiFroFoLa wrote:
Do You even know what is the difference between delusions and halluciantions?


A delusion is a false belief, a hallucination is a false perception



Delusion is when there is an actual sensory stimuli, but it is wrong interpretated by Your brain.

Hallucination is when there is no sensory stimuli.


Here it is on Healthatoz.com
"Delusions. Those delusions that occur in schizophrenia and its related forms are typically bizarre (i.e., they could not occur in real life). Delusions occurring in delusional disorder are more plausible, but still patently untrue. In some cases, delusions may be accompanied by feelings of paranoia.


Hallucinations. Psychotic patients see, hear, smell, taste, or feel things that aren't there. Schizophrenic hallucinations are typically auditory or, less commonly, visual; but psychotic hallucinations can involve any of the five senses."



And You're trying to tell me that... ??? :huh:


" A person who claims to be Santa Claus or Jesus Christ is delusional. Many NT's have used the phrase, "You are delusional" when people say things like "She doesn't like me because I'm prettier than she is." .


I think that is more gullible than delusional but if you claim you believe in Santa Clause not because Mom and Dad told you but because you feel you actually witnessed him land on your roof with all his reindeer with your own eyes then that would be delusional. Delusional in a more bizarre sense. Or you believe in Jesus Christ not because of what you were taught at Sunday School but you actually saw him walk on water then that would also be delusional.

Not if you believe in one of them, if you think you are one of them!


_________________
I don't have Aspergers, I'm just socially inept

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)