Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:51 am

I can drive a manual even though I'm 14, so can plenty of other people, it aint that hard once you get used to it! :)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:38 pm

I don't want to drive an automatic, but due to the economic situation my aging MB will have to do for awhile longer.

Presently I think I'd like to buy a Lotus for my next car. RRRRrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrr....

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:41 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Love manual transmission. The car is an extension of my body... much more fun because you are really driving the machine.

I would DEFINITELY agree with that! :D :D :D

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

16 Dec 2008, 12:51 pm

I drive a Manuel. I had it replaced two years ago in my car when it went out. It acted like it was in neutral because I couldn't get the car to move real well and I had to floor the gas pedal to get the car to speed up and it got worse and worse and it just got useless to floor it or else I might blow the engine, so I had to park my car and stop at a gas station to call my Dad to come get my bf (first ex) and I. Luckily we were only a few miles from home. The next day, my brothers and Dad went down and put my car dolly (I'm not sure what it's called) and take it to the automotive place to have it fixed.

Sometimes I worry about it going out again as I am on the road.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 2:53 pm

I prefer manual. I learned on a manual (meltdowns galore for about a week). However, I am virtually incapable of forcing myself to drive an automatic for any length of time. Having always driven manual, the switch is just too much for me. I will never purchase an automatic vehicle. I also like the added degree of control that is afforded by a manual.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:00 pm

I have driven manuals for years, I have only once driven an automatic. It was odd driving it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:15 pm

Being able to rev up the engine, glance at the rev counter, then quickly push the clutch, grab the shift lever, then revving it up in the next gear, THAT'S driving ! !! !

By the way, it's true what they say about older Ferraris needing to get warmed up before 2nd gear engages ! !!

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:00 pm

Real cars have three pedals! :D

Here's a question I've always wondered about: In right-hand drive cars, are the pedals in the same order as left-hand drive? (From left to right, clutch/brake/accelerator.) :chin:

16 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

Has anyone ever seen people sitting in their car waiting and they would floor the pedal and the tires would spin but they wouldn't go anywhere because they either have their car in parked or neutral? I thought that was the coolest thing ever when I was 12 and wanted my mother to do it too but she said it was bad for the breaks. I bet it's bad for the clutch too and for the tires.
Now that I am an adult, I don't think it's cool because do I want to pay for maintenance sooner? No. Who would? Maybe people who know how to fix their cars or are rich so it doesn't matter if they have to take their car in often to have it fixed. Or they are just inconsiderate people and they don't care if they wreck someone's else's car they are using.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:31 pm

CTBill wrote:
Real cars have three pedals! :D

Here's a question I've always wondered about: In right-hand drive cars, are the pedals in the same order as left-hand drive? (From left to right, clutch/brake/accelerator.) :chin:

Yep.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:37 pm

Quote:
I was brought up to feel quilty for making decisions

Huh?

Anyway, my family converted their car once from automatic to manual when the transmission went bad, I don't see why you couldn't do the reverse. It's probably not worth it though. Take grandma's car and turn it in for scrap, use the money to get a car you want. Better yet, buy the same exact model, so you can use the old car for parts.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2008, 9:30 pm

stick shift is really tough to learn my big problem is at stop signs i tend to stall the car alot when i try to get moving again. ive driven my dads automatic its so much easier.

Last edited by NextFact on 17 Dec 2008, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:18 pm

Spokane_Girl: your problem with mega revving sounds like the clutch disc had worn. That "thing" where the wheels spin continuously without moving is known as a "burnout" In older cars, most of them are rear wheel drive. If the clutch is not old, it will be fine for the job. If the clutch is old, it could slip, and when it starts to slip it deteriorates quicker. Damaging brakes? I don't think so, the "servo" multiplies the action of your foot on the brake. The only damage would be on the pads - cheap to replace. I won't reveal how this is done for safety reasons, etc. I have managed to burnout a front wheel drive car, mine. I was so angry that I let the wheels spin. I needed new tyres anyway. I left a few tyre marks outside the person who really pissed me off. The technique for front wheel drive differs from rear wheel drive, again I will not mention how to do this. But if you not careful the front will dance slowly (side to side motion)
Prof_Pretorius: If you have to glance at the rev counter; then that isn't driving. Go by ear (unless deaf)
CTBill: In Right Hand Drive cars, the assortment of pedals are similar. Just most of the stalks here are set for left hand drive and only Jap cars (most of them, not all) have them set up correctly for RHD.
I laughed hard when someone wrote on a forum, they wanted UK spec stalks as the Jap ones were "wrong" The signal should be furthest away from the gear selector/stick.
I'm having problems with this as my driving improves, the left hand configuration becomes out dated and I like my Mondeo. I'll have to source a Toyota, or Mitsubishi with the correct set up. I may even go as far as turning the engine round 180degrees or go Jap again for ultimate balance.

Anybody know what the original post was? Cos I have a feeling it's gone off topic.....

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm

NextFact wrote:
stick shift is really tough to learn my big problem is at stop signs i tend to stall the car alot. ive driven my dads automatic its so much easier.

If you don't stall, you don't learn. OK. You have an exam coming up, you want to study or should I give you the answers? Still want to go for the easy option?

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:30 pm

AspE wrote:
Quote:
I was brought up to feel quilty for making decisions

Huh?

I was referring to my upbringing which as conrolling and verbally abusive meaning anytime I am faced with a decision I feel really guilty whichever one I make.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:25 pm

Keith wrote:
Just most of the stalks here are set for left hand drive and only Jap cars (most of them, not all) have them set up correctly for RHD.

LOL--it took me a while to figure out what "stalk" meant in this case: steering column.

Keith wrote:
Anybody know what the original post was? Cos I have a feeling it's gone off topic.....

It didn't belong in the General Autism Discussion forum from the first, but it's been fun anyway! :P