Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:09 pm

I have an acute imagination. Not easily accessed by others.

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2008, 3:10 pm

ok, your responses are making a lot more sense and fitting with how i thought things are...

DwightF wrote:
Taonuviel wrote:
or maybe that site's just trash.

Link?

http://www.asperger-advice.com/asperger ... nosis.html
full paragraph:
"Their behavior can be so off tune and be offensive towards people without them even realising it. They don’t mean to hurt anybody with their remarks but simple can not grasp the fact that their remarks might be painful or rude. This is caused by their lack of imagination which makes it hard for them to show empathy with others. "
of course, the poor use of spelling and word forms throughout this page was causing me to question its' validity, anyway... <_<

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2008, 3:35 pm

I have a very vivid imagination.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:14 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I think "lack of imagination" is a very misleading phrase. Clearly, many Aspies have amazing imagination, easily imaging things in completely different ways than the rest of the world does, and contributing some of mankind's greatest inventions.

What most AS seem unable to do, however, is move off a script of their own making, to experience and follow one of someone else's making. Once on a path, they often lock firmly onto it. Think of movie directors that the press have referred to as "tone deaf" towards criticism of their art. Or inventors who spark the great ideas, but can't run with them for want of a needed adaptation that they refuse to accept (why Bill Gates got rich but it all really was someone's idea to start with). Or why if plan A and plan B don't work out then you may as well give up, because you can't on the spot think up plan C. I guess all that is still appropriately called "imagination," but it is a very different kind of imagination than what creates amazing stories and invents new ideas. Maybe a better term would be adaptive imagination?

Imagination is one's ability to think outside the box. The term should never refer to as the ability to think inside of it. Imagination shouldn't be the term used at all if it isn't referring to creative type things, no matter what adjective you give it. To say that "they aren't really talking about imagination" is only a coverup of the "oops, we were wrong." I refuse to let these great minds that came up with the diagnostic criteria get off that easy. If they mean the ability to adapt to one's surroundings, then call it adaptation. Or inability to conceptualize social whatever ...patterns, settings, whatever they are trying to say with social imagination.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:25 pm

not diagnosed, although i am pretty much certain I have AS.

I certainly have an imagination. Sometimes it is too vivid, and distracts me from ordinary reality. I've always been a dreamer.

I think that lack of empathy in aspies comes from a cognitive inability to correctly perceive and interpret subtle facial expressions and body language, as well as some abstractly emotional speech.... the social deficiency. This quality pervades all aspect of the mind, including imagination.

People say things like what was mentioned in that link because aspies can have a hard time being "in someone else's shoes"; or in other words, as Tails mentioned: we supposedly lack "social imagintion."

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:25 pm

growing up i was told my imagination was not my own, basically like this... I would watch a movie or tv show, then react what happened on that movie or tv show with the toys. Other then that I loooved to line up all my toys, and put them catergories of families, like mother, father, brother, sister, then gave them names, and that was it lol. My imagination is still the same way, its weird.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 5:02 pm

I already noticed that this is a classical thread in this forum.

I have a strong suspiction that what is called "Asperger's Syndrome" is, in reality, an umbrella name for a variety of several unrelated syndromes, with only superficial similiarities, and, because that, there is a big variety of diverse theories about the supposed traits of AS - then, we can have studies saying that people with AS have low imagination and or creativity (like these: http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/doc ... aig_BC.pdf) and other saying the opposite (like Hans Asperger himself, who said the a unusual fantasy life was a typical trait of his "autistic psychopats").

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 5:36 pm

Age1600 wrote:
growing up i was told my imagination was not my own, basically like this... I would watch a movie or tv show, then react what happened on that movie or tv show with the toys. Other then that I loooved to line up all my toys, and put them catergories of families, like mother, father, brother, sister, then gave them names, and that was it lol. My imagination is still the same way, its weird.

I think what the average NT can’t always comprehend the fact that we enjoy playing in this manner. It doesn’t have anything to do with lack of ability to play another way. It’s just a preference they don’t understand. I found both repetitive play and imaginative play enjoyable.

I liked to play by lining things up and often played my favorite video games over and over. But I also liked inventing games with my brother that we played together (usually variations on hide-and-seek or capture-the-flag but with weird rules). These games were extremely imaginative. Repetitive play is deemed “the wrong way to play” because NT’s don’t have enough imagination to comprehend the enjoyment value in it. They don’t enjoy it so therefore we must not either and must be doing it simply because we’re obsessive compulsive and/or lack imagination. That’s faulty reasoning.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2008, 5:43 pm

Taonuviel wrote:
ok, your responses are making a lot more sense and fitting with how i thought things are...
DwightF wrote:
Taonuviel wrote:
or maybe that site's just trash.

Link?

http://www.asperger-advice.com/asperger ... nosis.html
full paragraph:
"Their behavior can be so off tune and be offensive towards people without them even realising it. They don’t mean to hurt anybody with their remarks but simple can not grasp the fact that their remarks might be painful or rude. This is caused by their lack of imagination which makes it hard for them to show empathy with others. "
of course, the poor use of spelling and word forms throughout this page was causing me to question its' validity, anyway... <_<

That's just an example of a misunderstanding or miscommunication, one that gets "copy-pasted" a lot. I remember back when I was on the receiving end in of such descriptions. Didn't know any better ... and then I came face to face with reality. I figured it out but it took a while. That's the worst thing about that description is that it can cause a lot of confusion for NT, and especially for parents. Being in denial about your child's differences, leading to them not receiving appropriate help, is a whole lot easier when you've got misinformation like that floating around. :l

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

Taonuviel wrote:
i read that the difficulty in empathy for neurotypicals is because of a lack of imagination. this seems strange to me. is that a rule, a norm, or totally off? if you're dx'd, do you have an imagination?

Fix'd.

Taonuviel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2008, 5:58 pm

yeah, it's the kind of thing that's confusing me as i look into as. i read descriptions that fit me perfectly and the criteria (which i meet), then read stuff like this that throws me off. i want to get evaluated and know for sure, it feels like it'd be a relieving answer for me, even if it doesn't change much else. so i keep looking up information because i feel nervous about bringing this up, and want to find out more about what it'll take to get diagnosed, then i find this kind of thing. it doesn't sound right, but it gives me cause to worry that maybe this doesn't fit me, and i'm still without an answer, anyway. so, i ask. thanks!

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:40 pm

I have no imagination at all. I couldn't tell a fable to a child. Perhaps for the same reason I practically cannot lie.

Vulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 7:00 pm

i am not dx'd..

anyways, i have a very vivid imagination and from very early on i was unable to seperate fiction from reality, and even now my friends say i struggle with this, but i am unsure....will talk to the doc about this though... but i dont know if my imagination is different.. all i do know is that if i see a good SCIF ect i tend to float into my own little world for a while, like i feed of the stuff ive just seen...

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 7:23 pm

am do not have imagination though am autie [not aspie],it affects am in a very big way,but am dont think of it as something that affects quality of life,the worst thing it affects is with having MLD [multiple learning disabilities] it adds to them because am not able to understand things am have not seen happen before.

the lack of imagination thing is supposed to be on the autism/autie side,not aspie side-am remember Danielismyname saying this.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 8:07 pm

Agreed w/ KingdomOfRats, and others. Yes, I have an imagination!

Not really correlated with the fact that I cannot begin to 'guess' how another might respond at any given time or situation. NTs are basically slot machines (pre-sorry if this is offensive; I do like many NTs) and follow no pattern.

Artists, and those with creativity/imagination, do in fact follow a pattern too. I could not work to capacity without my imagination and creativity and the old correlation that Autists have no imagination is really a discredit.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

16 Dec 2008, 8:09 pm

I have very vivid imagination. But if you want me to explain, draw, illustrate, or tell it; then you are out of luck. I have a hard time doing that.