22 Year old daughter with Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:32 pm

Tortuga, do you have Asperger's?

Please keep in mind that for those of us who do, being put in a group home is nearly our worst fear, right after being abused or neglected to death.

I mean, it's sort of like going to a site that specializes in independent, happy living for old people, respecting their rights and abilities and such, and saying, "I need a place to put my mom. She's getting old", without telling anyone whether Mom had Alzheimer's or is merely an interfering (but alert and cognizant) old bird that the daughter wants out of the way.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 8:31 am

I assume that there's conflict in the house, i.e., she's too difficult for you to live with. I know of a young women in her twenties who had very violent tantrums at the slightest of change in her mother's house (i.e., her mother bought a new fridge; the daughter broke it); her mother sold her house and bought herself a home, as well as a small apartment type thingy for her autistic daughter at a "nursing home"...thingy. Both are now happy. Group home might be good for her [and you], but it also might not be good for her depending on how she can handle other people (I, for example, have to live with my mother, or have my own house).

Ticker, Asperger's is enough to get services in the US:

radioactiveferret
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2009, 1:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with living in a group home/instituition. I have severe autism and have been in both. At the group home we had things to do: it was basically like living at home except I recieved specialized care and got more intensive treatment. The instituion was when I was quite severe and don't remember much of it because I was in my own world for years.

Not everyone with autism has HFA/AS and can function like they can. Some need intensive treatment and care. I still recieve intensive treatment although I currently live with my father (I attend a day program). I will probably move into another group home or supervised apartment in a few years.

It would be best to find a social worker who specializes in mental health. I'm sure there are some in your area; try calling the local mental health center and see what they can do.

http://www.stephanielynnkeil.blogspot.com/

LadyKathleen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2009, 12:53 pm

DesignerDeb wrote:
Hello, my name is Deb and I have a 22 year old daughter with Autism and Auditory Processing Disorder. I was unsure where to go to ask for help with this situation. Here is my problem: I have no idea of what to do with her.. Is there group housing available for her? Is there someone that I could go to for help? Is there an organization that helps parents find a safe environment? I live in an area that has little to no options.

where is she on the spectrum? keep in mind that different people have different severities

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 10:46 am

Where is she on the spectrum? What is her level of functioning?

It has occured to me that, even though I am fairly high functioning, I need to improve my skills in the social areas of life if I am going to advance. I don't believe I need a group home arrangement, as I am not severely affected. I hesitate to get a diagnosis because I don't want a label at this point in my life.