Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm

I never smile because I'm happy, I smile because I am trying not to laugh, or am laughing.... My parents assume something is wrong when I do smile, so I avoid trying to smile around them, as I smile more when I feel discomfort than happiness. I guess smiling when I feel discomfort isn't necessarily a bad thing though, although I will assume most people see right through that. Also, my step mom accuses me of thinking something devilish when I smile when she is having a serious conversation, but I'm actually smiling because I'm trying not to laugh with my very awkward sense of humour.... Its often she said something serious, and I get a picture of something really awkward in my head, like try to visualize something like a botched surgery, and when the doctor cuts a vein that kill someone, feathers squirt out instead of blood (sorry, but that is the best I could thnk of without motivation, and its really bad, and I'm still laughing 5 minutes later after coming up with it), and its like, I know I have a really awkward sense of humour, and youknow it, stop saying things that make my mind wander to stupid humour, and you wont get me smiling when it would seem mischievous to....

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:51 pm

hmm... you could always write it down as humor, or horror. Sometimes that helps to balance things out, make you look at them in different ways. Just be careful who you show it to.

I've never seen anyone constantly smiling, except in Bollywood films...;)

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:54 pm

I guess what I'm saying is I'm always smiling at the wrong times.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 10:56 pm

Ugh, I'm the exact same way. I smile at everything because if not, I laugh at everything. I laugh and smile during serious conversations. I just can't help it. I also laugh/smile anytime anyone says anything to me-- I guess it's out of confusion on what I'm supposed to do. It annoys everyone.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:05 pm

There was one time I felt so awkward in a situation that the people around me probably thought I was gay, based on my body language (stimming) and how things came out of my mouth, and who I was talking to (or more so, trying to end a conversation with, so I could go back to feeling normal, and hide elsewhere).

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2008, 12:48 am

People ask me why I don't smile for pictures. I do smile, I don't grin. It doesn't come naturally to me. What is that, anyway- an atavistic primate gesture that means, "See my teeth? I could bite you, but I won't if you don't bite me"?

The trouble with being an etymologist is that people keep bringing you bugs to look at.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2008, 8:44 pm

I can empathize as I know my emotions seem to come out backwards. If nervous or upset I may laugh eventhough I am really feeling upset or concerned about a situation someone else is experiencing.

I told my diagnosed Aspie counselor and she said I was one of the few people she has worked with that has this type of symptom. It can be misunderstood often so I have become so less social in the past few years. I believe this has allowed the brain to more hardwire these reactions, because they have become stronger then in the past.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 5:59 pm

legendoftheselkie wrote:
People ask me why I don't smile for pictures. I do smile, I don't grin. It doesn't come naturally to me. What is that, anyway- an atavistic primate gesture that means, "See my teeth? I could bite you, but I won't if you don't bite me"?

Same here! I tend to grin more now, but I used to always just smile because before I had braces I had really wonky teeth. Now I don't mind so much.

y es como un semestre"

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2008, 8:34 am

I tend to smile when I'm very distressed. Which I hate, I try to stop myself but that just makes it worse.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 9:43 am

BastetsEye wrote:
I tend to smile when I'm very distressed. Which I hate, I try to stop myself but that just makes it worse.

I thought a lot of people did that. Well, at least I'm not the only one.