Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ju2901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2008, 6:57 am

hi. twelve months ago my son was diagnosed with AS. he is now being recommended for a special school for high functioning autism. the last three years have been an emotional rollercoaster.
my grandmother died and out popped a diagnosis about my grandfather of autism in 1949 written by the RAF.
my mums brother (aged 60) who had only been referred to by my family as ret*d has now had a diagnosis of autism by social services. he has spent his life in and out of mental institutions. he still lives with my grandfather (aged 90).
my mum and dad then split up after 33 years of marriage because mum felt that her dad and brother needed help and wanted to help them for a few weeks after the death of her mum.
dad ended the marriage because of this. i personally feel that he also has undiagnosed high functioning autism.
i reported to the police the sexual abuse i suffered as a child from a friend of the family that hadn't been believed when i was little despite my school recommending a psychologist for me. mum and dad said no.
i am a single parent of two children, and have just started to get my head round all this. my personal journey has leapt from crises to crises most recently recovering from an alcoholic and violent relationship.
my family seem to have spent years in denial of this 'autistic' label, my father even deriding the diagnosis of my grandfather. the vitriolic verbal abuse has been soul destroying, to then receive the diagnosis about my son.
anyone up for a chat about any of the above?
experience of schools, north hill house in frome and one in lymington for my son?
i think my next step is to badger county about funding for this.
i live in a very small town and feel quite isolated- no support groups etc. bit low on the ground for mates too!

Dollypony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:17 am

Welcome!

ju2901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2008, 7:24 am

thankyou
x

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 11:22 am

Glad to have you here and yes, there is a genetic factor and most probably you, yourself could be some where on the spectrum. I hope someday soon, there will be more research about how autism presents in females because I believe it can be different in many ways. Stands to reason, considering that we are socialized differently, have different hormones and other gender based genetic differences.

I work the over night and am off to bed soon but I hope you read through some of the threads and get to know some members here . For a bnch of supposedly "self consumed" autistics, I find an amazing amount of compassion and empathy here :)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 12:27 pm

Welcome aboard Wrong Planet, ju2901. The heart goes out to you and you children. Here's wishing all the WP best for you.

Artemisia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Dec 2008, 12:30 pm

Much like my family. I'm also single parenting 2 kids (one diagnosed with ASD and the other with a diagnosis pending approval from a fly-in child psychiatrist). We started with homeschool, then moved to regular school when my relationship with the kids' dad ended. The kids are doing fine in school this year with EA support for the older one, and various accommodations for the younger. Best of luck-- message me privately if you'd like to communicate one-on-one. I could certainly use some peer support as well.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2008, 12:30 pm

Welcome!

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:21 pm

I understand the lack of familial support. I was diagnosed with autism at 3yrs old, but my mom never told me. I found out when I was older, on my own. So, my heart goes out to you. I think you've come to the right place.
Welcome :D !

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

Hi and welcome to WP. That's pretty wild about your grandfather being diagnosed in 1949. I would have thought they wouldn't have recognized autism back then. You should post what area you are in just incase someone here knows of a support group near you. You'd be surprised where groups spring up. Remember to always check your closest University because often times the socialogy dept knows of local autism resources.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2008, 6:17 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

ju2901
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2008, 5:25 am

thank you everyone for the support. my son off school today, he could not face the xmas group activities. a day of 'make and do' with mum instead... don't blame him!

hope to speak to you again soon
x