Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2008, 7:16 pm

if aspies have a different sense of humor, then are there tv shows or movies (comedies) that would appeal more to an aspie than an nt?
and i still like the same funny shows that nt's like....scrubs, the office, big bang theory, that 70's show.....etc. what does that mean? that i dont have an aspie sense of humor?

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2008, 7:22 pm

I can speak for others, and technically I haven't been diagnosed, but on the theory that I am...

I wonder if we have more of a child like sense of humour. I tend to like rather innocent jokes. Like the ones you get in crackers.

These are some of the jokes I find funny:

What do you call a romantic starburst?
A Casa-Nova!

What's the difference between a singer and a sheperd?
One goes me-me-me-me, the other goes ewe-ewe-ewe-ewe!

What's the difference between you and a Sheep!
Ewes a Human!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:25 pm

I didn't understand any of the jokes BastetsEye just posted. :oops:

As for my sense of humor dotdotdot I'm not really sure. I don't really like when people joke around, but I like Family Guy and South Park and such. But when I do find something funny, you can't get me to stop laughing about it. =p

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2008, 7:27 pm

That's okay no one else does either!!

I can just laugh and laugh at them....until people give me weird looks...and then I laugh all the more because I feel special that I'm the only one that gets them!

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:29 pm

'My name is Earl' is incredible as is 'House' (I think it's funny).

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2008, 7:30 pm

so aspies like corny jokes...?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:32 pm

I was just watching it with my husband the other day and I realized there are alot of scenes in The Dark Knight that I find humorous. It's a very subtle humor.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2008, 7:34 pm

I find house very funny!

At the moment I'm really in to the Big Bang Theory. But only for Sheldon. I don't find anyone else funny. And I only find him funny because I see him as an extreme version of me and my mum.

Only fools and Horses I can watch over and over again. (it's a British Comedy dating from the last 80's going on till the 00's!) About a family of "traders" who trade sometimes questionable goods, in the sense of sometimes being stolen, always questionable, as they always are broke or theres something wrong with them...such as Free Nelson Mandela t-shirts-after he'd been released!)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:36 pm

Quote:
That's okay no one else does either!!

Lol, okay, I finally figured out the Starburst one. I laughed.

lexis
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2008, 7:36 pm

Sometimes I laugh at things that nobody else seems to finds funny- I don't see a pattern to what I'm laughing at, apart from the fact that it tends to be common neurotypical behaviour (I often find it funny how most of the girls at college have a fake laugh used to attract and keep the attention of the opposite sex, that in my opinion sounds rather like a horse).

According to my ADOS report I display a 'likeable, dry sense of humour'.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2008, 7:41 pm

One of the thingss that nodded my more towards thinking I had Aspergers was the fact that all through school I'd find things hysterical that others wouldn't but then I'd say stuff completely serious and they would laugh and laugh. I'd never get what they found funny. They would never believe me!

One person even suggested I do it as a talent for a contest that are school was having, but since I don't do it on purpose I didn't want to embarress myself.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:43 pm

I like stupid humour. I find I like the stupid humour of some older kids shows, and stuff people are like "hunh?" to, and anything that is just awkward enough to seem very stupid. I once laughed at the idea of seeing someone lose an arm and instead of blood coming out, feathers and fluff sprayed out. Unfortunatly there isn't a whole lot of stupid humour that is funny a second time around. Finding Nemo is hilarious the first time you watch it. I know there were some very serious movies that have no humourical value that I just couldn't help but laugh at... the recent Death Race remake for example, the one guy dies just awkwardly enough to make it funny, or Final Destination 3 was hilarious at points (although I can't remember what points were)

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:56 pm

I think a bit of the problem here is an over-encompassing and hyperbolic interpretation of the actual facts.

Look at this way, is there an item in the DSM AS dx criteria based on some AS stereotype brand of humor? No. If experts believed everyone with AS has a particular and AS specific sense of humor, then it would be silly to not increase the accuracy of diagnosis by including it as a diagnostic item in the criteria.

What is being referred to is a group trait, not a universal group trait. Liking ice-cream is a trait of the group humans, but is it not a universal trait to that group, many humans do not like ice-cream at all.

It has been observed that many people with AS have a sense of humor that is not typical or common when compared to the general population, and that this style of humor can be correlated to certain traits that are also associated with AS. But anyone who believes that this style of humor is a universal group trait shared by every person with AS, is mistaken.

So if someone tells you that there is some association between AS and a particular sense or style of humor, they are not wrong, but anyone who tells you there is a specific sense of humor common to everyone who has AS is most certainly wrong.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 7:58 pm

How many mosquitoes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Two, but I'm not sure how they got in there.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 8:10 pm

Scrubs is my favorite show on Earth!! !
I love anything that is corny. Corny jokes are my forte.
I tell jokes that are stupid all the time and people love to listen to them, but I'm the only one who laughs!

My favorite joke (no lie...even though it is extremely stupid) is:

What did farmer say when he lost his tractor?

Where's my tractor?!:lol: ...I told you it was stupid...but it really is my favorite joke!! !

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Last edited by SeizeTheDay on 17 Dec 2008, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 8:14 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
How many mosquitoes does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Two, but I'm not sure how they got in there.

I laughed at the question..... answer didn't have anything funny in it though.