Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:31 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sl ... e_syndrome

I think I have this. If I go for about a week without needing to wake up early for anything, I find that my body naturally wants to sleep around 2~3 am local time, and wakes up about 10~11 local time...

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2008, 12:35 am

doesnt everybody with insomnia have this? i have this too i usually cant fall asleep til like 3 or 4 am and i wake up at around 11...:)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 1:08 am

Well the article said that DSPS is often misdiagnosed as insomnia, since it has identical symptoms if a subject is forced to get up for the 9-5 workday...

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2008, 1:18 am

so what should someone with DSPS do? try to shift his sleeping pattern? get sleeping pills?

Akajohnnyx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2008, 2:07 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
I think I have this. If I go for about a week without needing to wake up early for anything, I find that my body naturally wants to sleep around 2~3 am local time, and wakes up about 10~11 local time...

Same here, except mine is closer to 4AM to noon if I work several afternoons in a row. I always assumed it was insomnia, but I suppose it could be DSPS. I took a class on the Psychology of Sleeping and Dreaming as an undergrad and we never mentioned this.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:11 am

This is very common in AS...they think it is not really insomnia, (though there are several different types of insomnia but more of us have this form) . Theory is that we are somehow...on a different clock...not 24 hour one but not sure "why" . I struggled with this as a kid but my only solution has been to work an over night shift . In college I took afternoon, evening and weekend classes as much as possible . This is just one of the many situations were "majority rules" and we are stuck with NT time clock . Some people do find Melatonin helps but it hasn't helped me "much" but it is cheap, little side effect and worth a try . I would stay away from most of the other sleep meds . I took Benadryl for years (it has the same basic ingredient as sleep meds but I could get the generic cheap). It does help, but I believe it effected my over all cognitive function and isn't worth the risk in my opinion .

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

kip
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:22 am

I have a similar problem, except I have a natural 36 hours sleep schedule. If left to my own devices, I will sleep 12 and wake 24. But I figured out real quick that wasn't feasible in the real world, so I just live on energy drinks till my sleep schedule lines up with the night time.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:05 am

Op is in New Jersey,so:
1mg or 3mg Melatonin (available as supplement like vitamins) taken at a normal bedtime might help reset your sleep phase.

Alternatively if there is someone else to help, just let them enforce lights out at bedtime and waking you up early if an alarm clock isn't enough.

Currently, wanting to change my sleep cycle, I use both methods.

edit:bright light (electric if necessary) in the morning also seems to help wake up.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:20 am

Just to mention...forcing yourself into bed when you are not "tired" has never worked for me . Results in complete frustration, tossing and turning and other annoying side effects . I find it more effective to make myself stay awake as long as possible to readjust my cycle . In other words, if I engage in a "special interest" it is much easier to stay awake then if I try and suppress one by forcing myself to sleep . Make sense ? Once I have stayed awake for a set period of time, less problem with going to sleep and there for the bed does not become my enemy .

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2008, 7:27 am

krex wrote:
This is very common in AS...they think it is not really insomnia, (though there are several different types of insomnia but more of us have this form).

hello krex.

where do you learn about this? who is 'they'?

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:56 am

Hi Shayne..."they" is those clever folks researching autism that I find while googling autism and delayed sleep on-set . Wish I could provide a link for you but I already have about 1,000 bookmarks for different things I research and can't book mark everything :D

You may just want to google it and wade through the million or so links that will come back . There does seem to be a lot of information about it because in spite of all the diversity in autism on the spectrum, there does seem to be a very high incidence of sleep problems among us .

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:50 pm

I can understand the concept of having a sleep problem, but it's not genuine insomnia... if I don't have to get up until the afternoon for long periods of time, I will go to sleep around 2~3, and wake up normally around 10~11. Normal 8 hour sleep, rarely interrupted internally (although getting me up at 6am for something kills it for me), I feel perfectly fine (i.e. well-rested) when I wake up, and I go throughout my day without any issues related to sleep.

Another reason I know I don't have a classical case of insomnia is because I find it very easy to fall asleep in the morning hours, from about 3am to noon, without much difficulty, even if I'm not that tired (sometimes it's too easy...). An insomniac can't sleep at any hour of the day... Additionally, if my sleep gets cut short by having to wake up early, I'll find it easy to fall asleep from around 4~6 pm as well...

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

18 Dec 2008, 5:59 pm

I have difficulties sleeping too. If the cause is unknown, maybe sleeping pills are your best option. Sometimes I can't even sleep after I've taken a lunesta or valium. It gets pretty bad.

With me, melatonin is completely useless. I took 2mg of it for a week, and couldn't fall asleep after 3 hours, and finally gave in; I took a valium. This occurred during my whole 1 week 'trial'.
I've also had violent nightmares and more sleep thrashing when I took melatonin.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 3:26 am

it almost sounds like me except that i can, to some degree, change my sleep patterns when i need to. during the rowing season i can get to sleep sometime around 10 without too much difficulty, which gives me about 6.5hrs of sleep. if i have early classes, i can usually get to bed shortly after midnight, otherwise i'm in bed no earlier than 2am (its 3:20 now).

i'm not sure if this is the cause or if it's something else. i don't like going to bed before i'm tired because it takes me a long time to get to sleep. during the rowing season when i'm not getting adequate sleep, i can't get to sleep until 10 even if i'm in bed before 9, but once i'm free of early morning commitments i usually get to bed somewhere between 2:30 and 4am, any later is usually because of an obsession and any earlier is usually because i'm lacking a lot of sleep. the more i type, the more i think this is appropriate lol. i'm going to sleep on it and read some more tomorrow around 10 or 11 when i wake up