Girl caught in adoption tug-of-war adjusting to new life

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 3:02 pm

Quote:
"I always hate staying in China," she says. "It's one of the worst places I have ever been. When I first went to the big city, there was so [much] pollution and so [it] always makes me feel bad. I also don't like the smell."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/1 ... topstories

I think this is wrong. It's too much for a little girl to adjust to. To be ripped away from her home life, and her family, only to have to live in a dirty little apartment, her biological parents separate, and go to boarding school... she would have been better off living her normal home life with the people who raised her.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 5:42 pm

Now if only people could learn to feel the same way about fat children.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 1:37 am

violet_yoshi wrote:

WTF? :?

I feel bad for the girl. Old enough to realize she has no control over her life, too young to do anything about it. I have no doubt she will reach legal age and re-establish her relationship with her adoptive parents.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 7:28 am

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

I feel bad for the girl. Old enough to realize she has no control over her life, too young to do anything about it. I have no doubt she will reach legal age and re-establish her relationship with her adoptive parents.

People think they're doing a fat child good, by removing them from the only home they've ever known. They claim parents are overfeeding the child, without first seeing if there is a medical or genetic reason to why the child is heavier. It's not good, it teaches the child they're bad for being fat.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 7:37 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

People think they're doing a fat child good, by removing them from the only home they've ever known. They claim parents are overfeeding the child, without first seeing if there is a medical or genetic reason to why the child is heavier. It's not good, it teaches the child they're bad for being fat.
They do that???

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 7:49 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Quote:
"I always hate staying in China," she says. "It's one of the worst places I have ever been. When I first went to the big city, there was so [much] pollution and so [it] always makes me feel bad. I also don't like the smell."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/1 ... topstories

I think this is wrong. It's too much for a little girl to adjust to. To be ripped away from her home life, and her family, only to have to live in a dirty little apartment, her biological parents separate, and go to boarding school... she would have been better off living her normal home life with the people who raised her.

I thought that the article said that the apartment was clean... :lol: I think it's a lot for the girl to adjust to but she doesn't seem too badly off in China. It must have been pretty rough on her to be moved like that to a completely different environment though.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 2:43 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:

Are there actual instances where fat children have been remanded to state custody simply for obesity? I can honestly say I have never heard of such a thing.
I'd also like to point out that the instances of obesity as a result of a medical condition are like one in a million. And while genetic disposition can play a role in the weight of an individual, it is not the only factor. Ultimately, a persons' weight is their responsibility.