Page 7 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 11:17 am

slowmutant wrote:
Oh, okay.

But I wonder how the Pope recalls his days in the Hitler Youth movement. Proudly? Sadly? Nowadays, Catholic Popes are seen as evil incarnate, as are the priests. The Church certainly has a deserved reputation for moral corruption, abuse of power, but I wonder how extensive the cancer really is. Is reform possible after all these centuries?

As a lifelong member of the church, these are my thoughts.

He was unenthusiastic and refused to attend meetings (of Hitler Youth). It is irrelavent and I probably shouldn't have called attention to it.
As for the current pope and the guilty priests...they should be in prison for their crimes and it is sick that they are able to hide behind their religion and everybody just thinks it is okay. There is hard physical evidence that Ratzinger was sheltering the pedophiles from prosecution. He should be in jail. This tactic doesn't work for the average person on the street that molests a child so it shouldn't work for him/them.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 11:44 am

They may escape earthly judgement but no one escapes Final Judgement.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 11:50 am

slowmutant wrote:

Well, that must be very comforting for the victims.
Can I steal $20 buck from you and then just say it's okay, God will judge me in the end? Doesn't really do much for you, does it? You're statement is just letting them get away with their crimes under the ubrella of religion.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:08 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Can I steal $20 buck from you and then just say it's okay, God will judge me in the end? Doesn't really do much for you, does it? You're statement is just letting them get away with their crimes under the ubrella of religion.

Not at all.

If you tried to steal from me, I can assure you there would be some very earthly consequences.

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

slowmutant wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Not at all.

If you tried to steal from me, I can assure you there would be some very earthly consequences.

That seems a bit hypocritical. What makes the pedophile priests and their leader immune to earthly consequences? If Ratzinger stole from you, would you make the same threat?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:41 pm

drowbot0181 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
drowbot0181 wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Not at all.

That seems a bit hypocritical. What makes the pedophile priests and their leader immune to earthly consequences? If Ratzinger stole from you, would you make the same threat?

I don't think the Pope would steal from me. And even if he did and I caught him in a flying tackle and roughed him up a little, he's just an old man. He's almost a demigod to many people, and many kiss the papal ring as act of worship. But even the saints were only human.

I'd certainly ask the Pope for my money back if I suspected, but given the almost infinite wealth of the Catholic Church, I don't see why he'd be interested in money.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 1:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:

I'd certainly ask the Pope for my money back if I suspected, but given the almost infinite wealth of the Catholic Church, I don't see why he'd be interested in money.

I'd introduce him to my gay friends. Either that or a swift kick in the behind.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 12:42 am

Mage wrote:
I thought Christians believed in free will? It's like a serial killer rationalizing his murders by saying, "If God wanted me to stop, he would have struck me down by now." We all know how often God does stuff like that. :roll:

Christians believe in what suits them at one time. If free will validates their claims, then they use that. If they do something wrong, instead of claiming free will, they'll shout "Goddy made me do it!" like a child blaming "nobody" for making a boo boo. Either way, it seems their religion makes room to find an excuse out of almost anything.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 4:16 pm

Oh dear God, the Duggars. There is seriously no need to have 18 kids in this day and age. My great-grandmother came from a family of around 18 kids, but this was in 1800s Ireland, where people died young, they needed people to help work, and they didn't know about birth control. Today, having 18 children is an act of selfishness.

Also, they're Quiverfull, which is not only sexist (the mother has to have as many babies as she possibly can for Jesus), but has racist undertones (a lot of them want to out-breed Hispanics and Arabs).

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 8:11 pm

violet_yoshi wrote:
Mage wrote:
I thought Christians believed in free will? It's like a serial killer rationalizing his murders by saying, "If God wanted me to stop, he would have struck me down by now." We all know how often God does stuff like that. :roll:

Christians believe in what suits them at one time. If free will validates their claims, then they use that. If they do something wrong, instead of claiming free will, they'll shout "Goddy made me do it!" like a child blaming "nobody" for making a boo boo. Either way, it seems their religion makes room to find an excuse out of almost anything.

That's intellectual and spiritual dishonesty IMO.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 10:24 pm

f*****g gross. I don't even want to have 1 kid let alone 18 of them. You know how much money it would cost to raise them?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2008, 10:32 pm

Space wrote:
f***ing gross. I don't even want to have 1 kid let alone 18 of them. You know how much money it would cost to raise them?

You don't have to raise a kid if you don't want to.