Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:13 pm

I would only say no if it was impossible to get him the toy... and I would never say "Because I said so." I'd give the reason, because there's always a reason. "Because I said so" to me often means "Because I'm too lazy to explain" or "Because I'm too lazy to make it happen, so I'm saying no."

Oh, and a belated comment about the spoiled brat thing: my parents used it on me in a way that says, "We were too good to you. We should have been nastier." Or "People were too good to you. They should have been meaner."

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:33 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Oh, and a belated comment about the spoiled brat thing: my parents used it on me in a way that says, "We were too good to you. We should have been nastier." Or "People were too good to you. They should have been meaner."

Mine would always yell, "We're gonna have to start coming down hard on you kids!" while punching or hitting an object as hard as possible for demonstrative purposes, "We've been too easy on you and now you're just spoiled brats who expect people to be nice to you while you sit there doing nothing. Well, life is NEVER fair or easy, and NO other kids get treated as nicely as you do - so act like you deserve it or all the things we've done for you or it won't have been worth the effort!! !"

So, essentially the same thing.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:45 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I would only say no if it was impossible to get him the toy... and I would never say "Because I said so." I'd give the reason, because there's always a reason. "Because I said so" to me often means "Because I'm too lazy to explain" or "Because I'm too lazy to make it happen, so I'm saying no."

Hahaha, my mom used "Because I said so" a lot when I was younger. She hated when I called her on it, saying that wasn't a real reason. I guess you have to learn not to try and get past an Aspie kid, by using failed logic.

23 Dec 2008, 1:49 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
Ana54 wrote:

Hahaha, my mom used "Because I said so" a lot when I was younger. She hated when I called her on it, saying that wasn't a real reason. I guess you have to learn not to try and get past an Aspie kid, by using failed logic.

I always hated those answers too. But I don't think I ever called her on it because I just make things worse if I did and I hated getting yelled at and hated getting into trouble. She would threaten to punish me if I kept asking why. I hated being punished so she knew how to shut me up.

As I got older I figured my mother was too lazy to answer.
Now I think they don't really have a logical reason. They just don't want you to have something or do something and they don't want to think of a reason why because they are too lazy to. I call it lazy parenting.

I have been told by my dad's cousin, "You would be a better person if your parents were better."

23 Dec 2008, 2:12 am

release_the_bats wrote:
Ana54 wrote:

Mine would always yell, "We're gonna have to start coming down hard on you kids!" while punching or hitting an object as hard as possible for demonstrative purposes, "We've been too easy on you and now you're just spoiled brats who expect people to be nice to you while you sit there doing nothing. Well, life is NEVER fair or easy, and NO other kids get treated as nicely as you do - so act like you deserve it or all the things we've done for you or it won't have been worth the effort!! !"

So, essentially the same thing.

My mother used to threaten my brothers and I she would dump us on the side of the road and we would have to walk if we don't straighten up.
You know how kids get on long road trips or when they are bored? That's what we did and mom stop us by threatening us. We would all stop and be quiet and not make a peep. I still love her though. It did work for a while until 1997 when I found out dropping your kids on the side of the road is illegal and you can get charged for it because it's abandoning your child. Then she was screwed because when she say it to us, we'd say "yeah right" and tell her she get in trouble with the police. I actually told my brothers about it after I found out.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 3:17 am

I love my daughter and I have mostly been a good mother. Except when she is with me she refuses to go to school. I found out why and it is because the school is to many people and she gets alot of anxiety. The school she is at now is small and she can handle it. When she was with me she would stay up all night til and not go to sleep until 7am in the next day. This went on non stop for weeks and weeks. She would talk to her self for hours on end, pace walk, jump around every where. She was so in her own imagination world anything I said to her didn't register. She also would get violent and throw around and smash up everything in the flat. She would often runaway and I got so sick of it. She would leave notes saying "I am running away but I might be back for breakfast." One day she packed her bags and said she was running away AGAIN. I so often enough of her temper tantrums and everything I said "Good f**k off then I'm sick of you" It turned out that she just went down the street and slept under the street lights. I didn't go looking for her because I was so angry and she was always doing it for attention. I feel to sleep. Then I woke up hours later and panicked that she wasn't there. Fortunately she back later that morning or not long after I woke up.
She won't come with me when I need to go some where and I was at the doctors and I told them I left her at home and I am not coping. They called police and took her. I can cope with her two days at the max at the moment and she stays over every couple of weeks.
People might say 'what kind of mother are you' but I try my best and I ring her up nearly every day to talk to her.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 12:44 pm

BellaDonna wrote:
I love my daughter and I have mostly been a good mother. Except when she is with me she refuses to go to school. I found out why and it is because the school is to many people and she gets alot of anxiety. The school she is at now is small and she can handle it. When she was with me she would stay up all night til and not go to sleep until 7am in the next day. This went on non stop for weeks and weeks. She would talk to her self for hours on end, pace walk, jump around every where. She was so in her own imagination world anything I said to her didn't register. She also would get violent and throw around and smash up everything in the flat. She would often runaway and I got so sick of it. She would leave notes saying "I am running away but I might be back for breakfast." One day she packed her bags and said she was running away AGAIN. I so often enough of her temper tantrums and everything I said "Good f**k off then I'm sick of you" It turned out that she just went down the street and slept under the street lights. I didn't go looking for her because I was so angry and she was always doing it for attention. I feel to sleep. Then I woke up hours later and panicked that she wasn't there. Fortunately she back later that morning or not long after I woke up.
She won't come with me when I need to go some where and I was at the doctors and I told them I left her at home and I am not coping. They called police and took her. I can cope with her two days at the max at the moment and she stays over every couple of weeks.
People might say 'what kind of mother are you' but I try my best and I ring her up nearly every day to talk to her.

It sounds like having her in foster care is for the best. One of the most insightful things parents can do is understand their own limitations. Your daughter wasn't safe with you; that sort of activity isn't safe. She needs to be with people who can prevent it. It would be out of love, then, that you allow her to be where she is safer, even if that is somewhere not with you.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 11:34 pm

If you want attention, you often need attention.

Why not get angry at the situation and not at the child? Or, better yet for the child's mental health, don't get angry. Why get angry?

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 12:20 am

It's clearly evident that there is no "right" or "wrong" way of parenting. Simply put, there's no way to win.

24 Dec 2008, 2:07 am

Only wrong way of parenting is abuse.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2008, 6:44 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Only wrong way of parenting is abuse.
True. That is why my daughter is in care and it isn't because I am not a good Mom. They say they know I really care about my daughter. Some parents that are abusive just have a wrong and selfish attitude. I havn't. I have broke down crying nearly everytime I lost my temper. All parents lose their temper. Some of the most outstanding parents or so they seem, can be the most cruel to their children.
I tell welfare what goes on and when I am not coping because I care about my daughter. Some parents don't. As long as they don't get caught out, they don't care. I don't need anyone putting me down about being a parent. I try my best. She is here at the moment and has just gone to bed reading a book. We went out side with sparklers which she thought was fun. Except she kept poking them in my face and then chasing the cat with them. I told her to stop it and she wouldn't.
So I havn't seen her for awhile and she goes today "I love you mom."

Jol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2008, 7:15 am

I see a lot of non parents in here giving advice and making comments.

Heck, I threattened my kids with "I'm gonna call santa and tell him not to come" anout 100 times in the last 2 weeks. - According to some here thats child abuse.

Meh, I've had one of my kids go physco in a supermarket cos he didn't get what he wantet, so yeah, clip over the legs, problem sorted.

Its the weak parents that let their kids get away with murder without any dicsipline to annoy me, seriously those kids are the ones that are gonna grow up with a truely warped view of the world I.E. no one has ever said no to me before...

26 Dec 2008, 2:30 pm

I think Parents use the Santa tradition to make their kids behave because lot of them want presents. But they are screwed when the child figures out he isn't real so they know it wouldn't matter how they act unless the parents threaten them they won't get any gifts from them.

My mother used to tell me as a kid "Santa will pass this house if you don't go to bed." "Santa won't bring you any gifts if you don't stop yelling" "Santa won't give you anymore presents if you don't take care of your stuff." Then my mother stopped when I was nine because I had learned he wasn't real but I think she continued doing it to my brothers.

My mother never threatened she won't get me any if I don't behave or show her respect or my brothers, etc.

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2008, 8:15 am

I think these parents do this just because of anger, which they apparently cannot control properly. They get annoyed and decide it's their child's fault. It is low, it is mean and it is sickening. In primary school I saw this often happening with some friends. One girl had a mother that was complaining about her all the time, and saying negative things, critisism on everything this little girl did. I was 8, but I was like ''For God's sake, please act normal, you're a monster''. At the age of 10 to 14 I was emotionally severely abused by my father. I couldn't even sit or walk or he'd yell and scream at me for doing even this wrong. I couldn't even walk right in his eyes. I hated myself and him. I thought you must be a real sack of s**t when everyone hates you, your own father included. Now I realize he had problems which he was venting at me. Of course when my mother wasn't around.

I think many parents can't control their annoyance. Sometimes a child does nothing annoying or bad, but the parent has had a bad day at work or anything.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2008, 12:19 pm

^ I feel sad to know that, that happened to you. Really sad and I don't mean to be patronising at all cause I know the pain that is felt when basically parents act like as*holes. Child abuse is very cruel especially when the parents don't seem care or accept that they are doing wrong.

I remember by doing Parent effectivness training that it is important to identify who owns the problem. Is it you the parent that has the problem or is your child got the problem.
For instance: Your child keeps on shouting out to his brother to bring him a drink of water.
You are: In the midst of a throbbing headache so...
Your attitude to the behaviour is going to be..? but what if your relaxed, working out in the garden, enjoying the sun
Is the behaviour going to be such a problem? When you had a headache you most likely view the childs shouting as unacceptable. When your not stressed and feeling great, it's no problem and the behaviour acceptable. Therefore whose problem is it. The child is shouting but the parent is the one that, in this instance has the problem, not the child. So the parent owns the problem.
It is ok for the parent to say, "I have a really bad headche" and "Can you please not shout?" It wouldn't be as Ok for the parent to lash out at the child for being such a brat for shouting when you have a headache.
So if you are feeling really stressed, sad or busy. No, you don't take it out on your child but you owe it to say to your child, "I've had a really bad day and that is why I am not feeling happy." By saying that the child won't take it personally and it is not sending mixed messages. Another instance; You feel like crap, but you pretend you don't so you can act happy and nice toward your child. You play a game but your child is confused cause you sure look grumpy but you talking like your not. This is sending mixed messages. A child can handle you saying, "look I've had a really bad day and I just feel like crying". However, mixed messages confuse them and it isn't being assertive.
Treating your child like crap because you are feeling that way, is wrong and so many parents do it (at times even I have). Some parents treat thier children so hostile. Taking out all thier frustration on the them and then thinking it is discipline. It's pathetic! and so typical of abuse like thinking.

Both my parents bashed the crap out of me for years and on a regular basis. I remember after awhile being really jumpy. If some one at school would come up behind me, catch me by suprise just to say hello. I would freak 'jump out of my skin' and shake, literally. They would say "what is wrong with you?"
I became alot withdrawn. You can't put some one through hell. Children don't have no one else but their parents. They are supposed to look after them. Not hurt you I feel hate
mom's partner was so antisocial and sadistic. I've found out as an adult, that some serious s**t happened to him when he was a kid because he got a compensation payout.
I'm just so angry, why did my mom let him treat us like that and why did you. I remember her saying she scared she was going to kill me. I would have wished she did. I remember wanting to be dead. I really did and for years. Anything to escape being treated worse. The abuse just got worse. I remember feeling alot of anger, confusion and hate but at the same time I just wanted to be showed some kind of love or affection. I remember feeling that feeling desperate. It is such a cold and isolating place to be. To me it is the worst feeling and to just keep getting hurt, like they hate you :cry:
I never wanna feel like that again. When I did those times being a child.

I so am not the mother I want to be. I try my best but to an extent I am or have been abusive. Physically (a little bit), verbally (really bad) and neglect at times has to been bad and why, it the last way I ever wanted to be :cry:
No one doesn't really know that as a parent how hurt I feel that I havn't been the parent I should be. Feel so bad. I really do.
Am I a sickening and disgusting person because the truth be told in some ways, I really feel bad. Not a worthwhile person because I don't feel like I am a very good mom.
I can't meet my daughters needs, otherwise she wouldn't be in care. I said, 'no, I don't want you to take her.' I was just ignored as if was nothing. my daughter didn't take no notice. She was just happy to meet the career and to go with her.
Am I her mother 'cause I sure don't feel like it but I love her the most.

Lucymac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2008, 9:15 pm

emotional abuse. That being said, I know that before I knew that my child was AS I did have less patience with her outbursts and less tolerance, understanding of them. Now I can see that some of her behaviors are completely out of her control and because I can understand it now I can relate better with less yelling and more caring/concern for her well being. Before honestly it was like a power struggle sometimes. Dealing with a cranky, combative child, who was stubborn and nonyielding/unforgiving. Now I see that it's a lot to do with her AS not really not something/someway she choses to act. I try to filter my lenses like that when dealing with anyone. A huge lesson life has taught me is this YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT SOMEONE IS GOING THROUGH OR DEALING WITH. NEVER JUDGE ANYONE. Except those that are outright physically/mentally/emotionally abusive. But don't judge the new mother that is exasberated with her three crying kids. You don't know what news she just got or how little sleep she's on or what lies ahead of her for the day.