Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Goose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2008, 8:58 pm

What is your of the possibility of there being such a thing as a bionic brain (down loadable brain infomation), I read a thing on the Internet? What is the ramifications for us, being Apsies? Will this effect us? Is this something to be concerned about? Please let me know! Thanks very much!

ike
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:52 pm

Not sure about "downloadable" ... this is the first article I came up with for the phrase "bionic brain" ...

http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/stories/8470.html

That research seems pretty promising for autistic people who are interested in improved working memory and executive function. I wouldn't expect anything to happen overnight though, and even once it becomes practical, I would expect it to be prohibitively expensive for many, many years to come.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 2:15 pm

It's like an episode of Jimmy Neutron I saw, where Jimmy made Book Report Bubblegum for his friends. You chew the gum, instantly have all the information about a book without having to read it. That's kind of what this Bionic Brain concept sounds like to me.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 6:38 pm

It's possible to input data into the brain, and it may be possible to download information into a person's memory.

Their are practical advantages, this would allow people to learn everything they need to know about a subject of interest in a matter of minutes. However this technology would be highly dangerous in the wrong hands. If refined enough it could be used as a form of mind control, especially if you could selectively erase existing memories (otherwise it would be possible to train someone to recognize implanted memories).