Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2008, 3:39 pm

Can a baseball bat to the forehead in grade one (1), bring on autistic symptoms?

Obviously autism isnt caused by baseball bats (someone would have brought this up had i not said it), but can it end up causing many of the symptoms of aspergers?

20 Dec 2008, 3:52 pm

Head injuries.

They do share the same signs as autism though.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

I've had both brain injury and AS

off topic-I'm the reason they have to wear helmets in tee ball
When I was six, I was in tee ball. I was up to bat and I swung the bat and hit my head and passed out. From then on, helmets were required for every team in the league. :lol:

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

20 Dec 2008, 4:22 pm

Are you kidding? I have been hit in the head with a bat because I went into my own world, so I wasn't paying attention to my surrounding. Thank god I had on a helmet.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 4:31 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
They do share the same signs as autism though.

Some of them... there are even some instances of people becoming savants after a head injury... the one thing that springs to mind as something that a head injury won't cause is the enlarged cranium. ;)

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2008, 4:40 pm

SeizeTheDay wrote:
When I was six, I was in tee ball. I was up to bat and I swung the bat and hit my head and passed out. From then on, helmets were required for every team in the league. :lol:

If you're serious, then im very sorry to hear, if you're not, then ill keep my vulgar statements to myself this time.

In grade 1 i got hit in the head with a baseball bat, it was actually on the back swing, i don't remember the actual event per-se, but i do remember who it was, and i also remember it was the first time i ended up in the girls washroom (teacher was a girl, she had an icepack, nothing creepy here), and i also remember being in the car with the icepack, supposedly i went to the hospital.

Ever since then ive been "Unique". To be honest, as much as i wish i could be Oh so normal, cool and suave, and oh so f*ckin successful like my brother, on the other hand im happy to be myself, the mid twenties, childlike-behavior, and my weirdness, i like it. But on the other hand, the under-achievement, the "wanting-to-achieve" but never wanting to achieve at anything specific. The love of working, i love the social interation with people at work that Dont understand me, but make an effort to try to, but on the other hand Hate the criticism i get into about being such a f*cked up idiot.

The hit to the head hasn't made me stupid, i wasn't lucky enough to get that. The hit to the head made me stop caring, it also made me pretty clueless, about alot of things (http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt86001.html). When i was young, i got excellent grades (who doesn't in grade 1 right?), but after the hit, my grades just started slowly going down. By 11th grade i ran out, i didnt care about anything anymore. i slept in 3/4 of my classes by then. In grade 12 math, within 5 minutes of the class starting, i would be passed out on my desk, the funny thing is, unlike all the other kids, the teacher wouldn't wake me up because i was doing better then the rest of my class. At that point, i had gotten so much teasing, my whole world would make fun of me, almost everybody was my enemy, so why not sleep? It gave me a quick diversion from the rest of the world. I am probably the only person you'll ever know whos actually slept in Gym class, yeah u read it right, Gym. I would sleep on the bus on the way to school, then i would go sleep in the cafeteria before homeroom, then i would go to homeroom and sleep, then religion and sleep there, then computer class where i would listen to my music and already have my work done before anyone else, then sleep in math, then if i felt like it, sleep in english class.

Now im 23, and like always, i've never wanted to be anything and will never strive to be anything. Its not so much that i don't want to be anything, the thing i want most is to Want to Want to be something, but everything i try to become, no matter as to how well i do or dont do, i eventually lose all interest in it. I want to be, but no matter how much i try, i will never be. What can i say, when you spend most of your life treated like you're nothing, you tend to believe it yourself. Can't really blame anybody for that, i am nothing, i joined kickboxing for 2 weeks cause it was free, and i loved it, but never stayed in it. I've been wanting to join baseball for SO SO SO many years, but never did. Theres so many things in my life that i should have done, but i didn't, and yet i feel like the reason is cause ''I never had anyone to do it with''. Sure doing things alone sucks, take it from me, ive been doing it for over 20 years. Ive tried oh so hard to get my family to help me, just help me a bit, at least something, ive begged, but it never has, and now never will. WHY, why does this f*****g world have to be such a f*****g b***h!? I know theres no real answer to that, i just had to say it.

Im really starting to think im not aspergers, or autistic in any manner. I might as well say, if i dont post anymore, good luck to you all, i hope for the best, you guys have opened my eyes to alot i would have never known, and i wish the best for you all.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 6:38 pm

Sounds like the blow maybe affected the emotional circuitry. You stop caring about stuff and that's why your grades slip, not because you couldn't but because you don't care enough to put out the effort. There's a book about that called Descartes' Error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes%27_Error

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 10:51 pm

prillix wrote:
SeizeTheDay wrote:

If you're serious, then im very sorry to hear, if you're not, then ill keep my vulgar statements to myself this time.

I was being serious.

That hit in the head didn't leave any long term effects that I know of.In fact all through school, I was an above average student. I was on honor roll. I was in advanced classes. I was in the top 8 out of my grade in math when I was young. And my honor roll lasted all the way through high school. Then two years ago, I got some brain injuries and have never been the same. I have mild brain damage, epilepsy, memory problems, and my grades have suffered especially in math..I've had to be put in a math class where there is an extra teacher (special ed teacher) there to help me and I still don't understand it.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes