Mac. Hard drive. help? I dunno. is this possible?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:15 pm

Orwell wrote:
gramirez wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Sorry, gramirez. I don't know anything about the old-school Macs.

Can you really install OSX on a 1995 computer? I'd be pretty impressed with you if you managed to pull that one off.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPo ... mework.cfm

Nice. Hackintosh on a Mac. That's pretty amazing. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you!

I've used it on other computers. Works great, but there is a lot of room for errors. It's very hard to install without getting SOME kind of error. It's fun though.

Kara_h
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 11:10 am

Orwell wrote:
Why are you still on 10.3?

Actually, both my brother and I keep a 10.3 machine next to our 10.5 boxes. We both need to run software that either has not been upgraded to 10.5 yet or the company that made it went out of business before 10.5 existed.

Kara_h
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 11:24 am

gramirez wrote:
Yes, it's a 1995 computer. Only computer I know of with 6 PCI slots. Not even the latest Mac Pro has 6.

Why it took until this summer to pry my Centris 660AV away from me. Sure it is like a joke next to the machines currently on my desk, but the range of ports! Name any current consumer computer that, without add-on hardware, has an s-video connector.

Kara_h
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2008, 11:28 am

Orwell wrote:
Sorry, gramirez. I don't know anything about the old-school Macs.

Can you really install OSX on a 1995 computer? I'd be pretty impressed with you if you managed to pull that one off.

Sure you can! My 1995-era mac (a PPC-7600) was originally promised to be supported by OS X but was officially out-of-spec by the time it was released. Some people found a way to wedge 10.1 on there though and I am sure were able to do that for a few versions more.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 1:48 pm

Kara_h wrote:
gramirez wrote:
Yes, it's a 1995 computer. Only computer I know of with 6 PCI slots. Not even the latest Mac Pro has 6.

Why it took until this summer to pry my Centris 660AV away from me. Sure it is like a joke next to the machines currently on my desk, but the range of ports! Name any current consumer computer that, without add-on hardware, has an s-video connector.

Oh yeah, there were a lot of great machines out there during that time period. Like I said, the 8500/8600/9500/9600 machines had SIX PCI SLOTS! Incredible! Most computers today don't even have that many! All around great hardware, and some awesome software titles out there too.

My Power Macintosh 5400 has a built in monitor, eliminating so many cables. I'm watching TV in fullscreen on it right now!

Macs last forever.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:04 pm

gramirez wrote:
Kara_h wrote:
gramirez wrote:

Oh yeah, there were a lot of great machines out there during that time period. Like I said, the 8500/8600/9500/9600 machines had SIX PCI SLOTS! Incredible! Most computers today don't even have that many! All around great hardware, and some awesome software titles out there too.

I dont know where you guys buy your hardware, but I spend 150 on my brothers mobo and its got 3 PCIe and four regular PCI slots.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 8:59 pm

Kara_h wrote:
gramirez wrote:

Pretty much any laptop. *looks at Toby*

And s-vid is overrated, go with composite or HDMI. Computers were not designed for s-vid.

And to the OP, look around. Find that crappy dingy computer shop in your town. 4gb SCSI is actually a common size, as is 6 and 8... if it can handle 8, I'd go with that, more room for installed programmes.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot