why do aspies look like like theyre on drugs?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 5:34 pm

All the time ppl tell me i look like I'm on drugs or that I'm "naturally high". and i've heard many other aspies say the same. why do aspies look like theyre on drugs??

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:37 pm

Prescription drugs? Cause half of them are...

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:37 pm

Do I look like I'm on drugs? (See avatar for example).

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 5:40 pm

gramirez wrote:
but i dont take any prescription drugs or anything and i get it ALL the time.....

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

bonez wrote:
All the time ppl tell me i look like I'm on drugs or that I'm "naturally high". and i've heard many other aspies say the same. why do aspies look like theyre on drugs??

i think its because of the eye contact issue our eyes or at least my eyes are glazed over

bonez
Toucan
Toucan

gramirez wrote:
but i dont take any prescription drugs or anything and i get it ALL the time.....

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2008, 5:41 pm

My guess is they are talking about the abnormal focus of the eyes. You aren't looking at what you are "suppose to" be looking at, which is pretty normal for someone stoned out of their gourd. As well the relaxed look around the eyes and softened facial expressions, or near lack of facial expressions, that some of the spectrum have (this can also mean they'll look "younger").

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:43 pm

I tend to look a little dreamy. Sid looks the same way. :O)

raggle-taggle-gypsy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2008, 5:46 pm

The eyes are one thing. Mine are half closed all the time.

Dancing to the sound of traffic lights might be another. My biggest problem is when somebody comes to talkk to me unexpectedly, like if someone shows up at my house unannounced, visits my table in the library, or calls me at the wrong time. Sometimes I'm too much in the zone with whatever I'm doing that it takes me a while to get into the flow of a conversation.

in the arms of me raggle taggle gypsy-o

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 5:50 pm

we do? I have yet to really see another AS, so I don't know...;)

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2008, 6:16 pm

garyww wrote:
Do I look like I'm on drugs? (See avatar for example).

Not necessarily at the time of the picture. But when I first saw that picture I immediately mentally jotted down "he has experience in chasing the White Rabbit". :o There is something very "I've been there and done that, kid" about that picture.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:20 pm

I was friends with a girl in school who's father called me her 'little stoner friend'... :?

I think DwightF's theory about eye contact and facial expression sounds about right. I imagine some of us might get accused of being drugged-up due to our clumsiness or eccentric behaviour also.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

DwightF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2008, 6:24 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I was friends with a girl in school who's father called me her 'little stoner friend'... :?

I think DwightF's theory about eye contact and facial expression sounds about right. I imagine some of us might get accused of being drugged-up due to our clumsiness or eccentric behaviour also.

Come to think of it the delay between someone talking to you and you formulating a verbal response, for those that have this, could be a factor too. Even it isn't much of a delay, that is pretty common with people that are high or even people that have gotten high very regularly over the years. One fellow I know has regularly smoked 8-10 very generous fatties every day for years. Even if he hasn't smoked up recently, sometimes he even has to stop mid-sentence to try recall where he was going with the sentence. If you do something like that people are going to think "stoner".

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:30 pm

gramirez wrote:

Including me!

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 6:49 pm

Being told 'You're on drugs' is pretty, effing insulting.
I sometimes used to get it - to the detriment of my work reputation, since once a rumour's started, it spreads like wildfire ... regardless of falsity.

It's usually just a generic insult.
But I also think that underneath it there's often a genuine curiosity about why we're atypical in the ways that we are.

The fact that we're often unaware of the social broaching skills and consequently have unorthodox ways of acquainting ourselves with people also creates issues.

One of the rules of getting acquainted with folk is demonstrating normality - not something Aspie folk are famed for ... not least due to the tedium thereof.

I guess ultimately, it's a roundabout way of telling someone there a bit nuts ... only more insulting.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 7:04 pm

I almost forgot about it, but someone started a rumor at one of my previous workplaces that I was on drugs. Well, at least now i know why they did that.

I guess, the eyes do play a role. Without direct eye contact, we probably do look like stoners.

But, I don't know if this is an AS thing or not, when I'm hyper from an interesting exciting conversation (those happen once in a while, and only that) or if I'm around a guy I think is hot, I will get hyper and ramble a lot or if I'm really tired trying desperately to stay awake that happens too. They probably think I'm on some amphetamines or something when I get like that.

To be honest, most of the conversations I have with people where it is a deep conversation is when they are on drugs. And, I suppose they don't realize that I'm capable of that sober, and I suppose that since I'm usually thinking outside the box, they assume I'm on a drug to make me that way.

I guess I am on drugs if you call vitamins, caffeine, and nicotine drugs. Oh, and sometimes I take Hoodia (first I was trying to get back to my old weight after having kids, and when that happened, I decided to keep going to get the weight or figure I always wanted to have...still working on it. Gotta find a way just to knock that stomach smaller and keep everything else larger).